VRV very rich vegetation engine demo - mav...

Community Forums/Showcase/VRV very rich vegetation engine demo - mav...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi everybody. please excuse me for testing this so badly and being so offline recently.

There seems to be (at least) an image missing in the exes folder:

if you save it there, it may work, well, not sure, can't test it right now.

I will try to fix the issue asap, meanwhile all the best to you blitzers!

RifRaf(Posted 2011) [#2]
jfk, it seems a lot of the media is missing. I posted this for you a few days ago as well. but its a few images including a water caustics image, and several 3DS files at least.

seems the old post got buried before you could read it
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=95923

Last edited 2011

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2011) [#3]
oops... thanks. Probably somethng wrong with Molebox. I'll fix this as soon as possible.
Next version will render faster, and allow to turn off cubemapped water - then the scene is only about 17 kTris. apologize, cya later.

RemiD(Posted 2011) [#4]
Hi,

In my opinion, the plants look ok except for the trees. You should try to use 2 level of details for the trees. Keep the one you have done for the far trees and model a tree with a cylindrical trunc and branches for the near trees.

The water is really beautiful. I like it.

What are you going to do with all these demos ? Why don't you try to create a small video game ?

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#5]
Vegetarian demo?! Sounds great! Oh wait...

Screenshot looks great btw.

Ian Martin(Posted 2011) [#6]
This wouldn't run for me, threw a Memory Access Violation after clicking OK and seeing 'initializing...'

It's a shame, I was interested in seeing this!

MAVs in my programs have usually been caused by a missing graphic or sound file. Sometimes when I make a build, think I have copied everything over, but have missed a file, I will get a MAV. Check to make sure all of the files you are loading are there and in the right folders. It has worked for me quite a few times :)

Floyd(Posted 2011) [#7]
Did you try the new demo? It works for me.

Matty(Posted 2011) [#8]
Looks very nice, reminds me of Fredborg's old demo.

I wonder about how much processor power is left for an actual game though....

When I press "e" the water changes to this bizarre pattern and the framerate plummets...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2011) [#9]
hi, sorry for the delay, modem broken etc. thanks for the replies. yes, it was molebox that caused the mav, loadmesh and the file was there. Dropping moleox due to false positive virus alerts anyway...

the E bug report is kinda hu? Just an animated texture on a plane.

Currently replaced the water, increased framerarte by 20%. not up yet.

Please be patient with my replies, cya.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2011) [#10]
Ok, finally found the time to read mails etc. Lots of troubles here - wouldn't it be boring without them?

Matty, was that a white, kind of blinking pattern artefact?

BTW is there anybody who's creating Fantasy characters who would like to use this thing? MAybe we'll find some kind of cooperation, let me know. I also got some ideas.

And yes, it is DX7ish. I mean, fog - fog! and no shadows, yes, but in the fog there ain't shadows, hehe. The point is, in my opinion you do not alwas have to design a game after the official criteria: has it physics, has it shadows, has it whatever the lates AAA releases have. The only thing that is important, is if people like it, regardless of tech specs. Economicly, even if you create the best engine in the world, technically, if the BIG players in the economy don't want you to sell it then you won't sell it. This is about investment in Ads, about market domination and bein in the stores or not. Most buyers just decide if they like the graphics and the game idea. They don't want to know if there is a reverse carmack or tokamak impelented.
So what I want to say is, even today you could sell a game made with Blitz3D, when the design is made well and the game idea is fascinating.

cya later.

Last edited 2011

Matty(Posted 2011) [#11]
Hi jfk EO-11110 - the water basically had a repeating texture over it, that certainly doesn't look like water when I pressed "e" - kind of black with a white "splodge" in the middle of it...repeated/tiled over the water's surface.

RemiD(Posted 2011) [#12]

The only thing that is important, is if people like it, regardless of tech specs.

I totally agree with you. I still play old video games like Daggerfall, Thief 1 & 2, Arcanum, from time to time...

I like your demos, good luck with your project.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2011) [#13]
Thanks RemCoder! Matty, thanks. I hope I can fix that (tho the anitexture really isn't very good, maybe that was the problem).