Crime Solitaire (the original) released for PC/Mac

Community Forums/Showcase/Crime Solitaire (the original) released for PC/Mac

GfK(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hello.

My new game, Crime Solitaire, has just been released on Big Fish Games.

PC Version | Mac Version

Crime Solitaire is my 15th Blitz PC game and its kind of a landmark for several reasons. First, 2011 is my 25th year of games programming. Second, when I released Magicville on BFG in 2010 I wanted it to get into the top 100 but it didn't quite make it. Crime Solitaire is already #4 in the card/board game chart and #48 overall, which is great and I hope its going to push a little higher yet as its only been out for a day.

[edit] fixed links!

Last edited 2011

GaryV(Posted 2011) [#2]
I am not much for card games, but I will definitely be buying this for the unique spin on it. Congrats on hitting #4!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2011) [#3]
This looks intriguing, makes me think of Clue or something. People like a good mystery. Congrats and thanks for inspiring other blitzers.

QuickSilva(Posted 2011) [#4]
Well done on your release! I`m going to go and check it out now. Looks like a cool idea.

It`s very inspiring to see people like you releasing a constant stream of great games. Do you make games full time just out of interest? I`m actually glad that people like you are part of these forums just to show that hard work does pay off. Best of luck achieving your target.

Jason.

Matthew Smith(Posted 2011) [#5]
Congrats Dave!

mkg(Posted 2011) [#6]
Congratulations on the multiple landmarks! :)

Aymes(Posted 2011) [#7]
Congrats! Hope it continues to do well for you!

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#8]
Congrats! Hope it continues to rise up the charts.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2011) [#9]
I have play the game and it`s Enjoyable game.

He done very well to do 15TH Blitz PC Game!

Well Done Dave!

Nice_But_Dim(Posted 2011) [#10]
Solitair is Solitair as is match 3

I will just play the windows version and save money thanks.

Pingus(Posted 2011) [#11]
Nicely done Solitaire.
Congrats for the release on BFG, and good luck for the rank.

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#12]
Good job, Dave. Planning on porting this to iOS as well, or are you working on a different game there?

GfK(Posted 2011) [#13]
No this is going to iOS.

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#14]
Excellent. I'll certainly pick it up on iOS, and I think it could do really well there.

Matty(Posted 2011) [#15]
Hi GfK - I'd like to send you an email (but I don't know your email address and it's not in your profile) - so could you send me an email, mine is in my profile.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#16]
Just doing my daily spot of chart-watching! Its up another six places today, to #33 in the PC chart, and is at #2 in the PC card/board game chart. As its still rising up the chart, and #1 card/board game Trade Mania is falling, then its possible it'll make #1 in the next few days.

On the Mac, its jumped from #3 in card/board games to #1! It's up eighteen places to #38 in the overall Mac chart.

Realistically I'll be lucky if it gets into the overall Top 20 anywhere due to the glut of Hidden Object games, so where its currently at is about as good as I could ever have expected.

Happy days!

[edit] Matty - check email.

Last edited 2011

big10p(Posted 2011) [#17]
Congrats!

RifRaf(Posted 2011) [#18]
Well done, I don't like card games myself but if I had to choose one it would be an interesting & well drawn theme like that.

Congratulations

Last edited 2011

GfK(Posted 2011) [#19]
Thanks. I'm really happy with the way it looks. I've had a lot of good feedback on the graphics style and also on the comedy writing which was loads of fun to do.

An interesting fact about Crime Solitaire, is that while it's at #33 in the Top 100, 27 of the 32 above it are Hidden Object games. And I bet not many of those - if any - are one-man productions. Don't want to come across as big-headed but that must surely earn me some bragging rights. :D

Ross C(Posted 2011) [#20]
Nice spin on it. Could be a reason why alot of folk will(or will be) pick(ing) it up. Congratulations on your release and I hope it does well for you!.

Matty(Posted 2011) [#21]
Hi GfK - just sent you an email, thanks.
Matt

Wiebo(Posted 2011) [#22]
Well done, Gfk... I hope it does well for you.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#23]
It's now at #26 in the PC top 100, and #27 in the Mac top 100! Its reeling in Trade Mania! :D :D :D

Another day like that and it'll be PC card/board game #1 tomorrow.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2011) [#24]
Hey GFK,

Did you used Gary Alien framework or own Framework?

GfK(Posted 2011) [#25]
No its all my own stuff apart from TimelineFX and a couple of Brucey mods.

caff_(Posted 2011) [#26]
Congratulations GfK :-)

GfK(Posted 2011) [#27]
Congratulations GfK
Three things:-

1. Thanks!
2. You're alive!
3. Hello!

Last edited 2011

GfK(Posted 2011) [#28]
Number 1 on pc card game chart today as well as mac. woo!

Ross C(Posted 2011) [#29]
Quite an achievement!

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#30]
Congrats man! that's awesome! :D
Any monkey port in the horizont?

GfK(Posted 2011) [#31]
Yep its about 75% done and yes I'm using jungleIDE. :)

GfK(Posted 2011) [#32]
Holy crap! It just made the Top 20 in the Mac overall game chart!!

Arabia(Posted 2011) [#33]
Don't know that I'd buy this, I already wasted a lot of time a year or two back playing Fairway Solitaire :)

I did download the trial though, this is a very polished game. Congrats Gfk - graphics and music and game play are awesome. I can understand why this is doing so well on all platforms.

Sorry if these have been answered and I missed them: How long did this take you to write? Did you hire some others for the graphics and music? or is this a 100% one man job.

Very nice.

Last edited 2011

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#34]
Holy shit I missed this thread due to being on a road trip. Congrats GfK!

This is a very smart move. "Golf" mechanic solitaire games ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf_%28Patience%29 ) are very popular on BFG since Fairway except that hardly anyone is making them! So there's not much competition. Also your crime theme should totally appear to all the HoG players. The most recent was Avalon Legends Solitaire by Anawiki games (made in BlitzMax too) and that got to 15 in top 100. I see you are at 24 today, so well done! I expect you'll make over $20K in the first couple of months.

Did you localise it? The localised versions of Spring Bonus brought in really good money and are a good chunk of my overall revenue. You should totally do that. Also you really want to hurry up with the iOS version because I saw something at Casual Connect... I hope your exclusive isn't too long because these days iWin and Real can deliver pretty good money too.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#35]
Yeah its being localized right now to 9 languages. its exclusive for 30 days and i won't even offer it to anybody else until then as iwin got a bit arsey over exclusives last time and i don't need the hassle.

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#36]
Cool. I'm sure it'll be a nice earner for years to come.

I notice you didn't bother with a widescreen mode or anything? Oh and have you found out what is causing the crashes mentioned on the BFG forums when they start the game? Could it be a permissions thing for saving data? I'm interested in case it's something we should all know about.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#37]
Just some oddity on a tiny number of macs - something to do with game manager. checked the background of those who reported it and they seem to have problems all the time with various games.

No widescreen mode though I'll tweak that for iphone. its not hurt sales. ;)

therevills(Posted 2011) [#38]
The most recent was Avalon Legends Solitaire by Anawiki games (made in BlitzMax too) and that got to 15 in top 100. I see you are at 24 today

Pirates Solitaire got up to number 17 too :)

Also you really want to hurry up with the iOS version because I saw something at Casual Connect...

Something like Fairway Solitaire 2 perchance? ;)

No widescreen mode though I'll tweak that for iphone. its not hurt sales. ;)

Yeah, hardcore gamers would cry but casual gamers just dont care... they have been playing games with low resolution for years!

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#39]
Thanks for the info GfK, reassuring.

@therevills turns out people in GfK's thread are blabbing about the FS2 beta anyway. I had nothing to do with this version though.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#40]
Yeah I did get kind of sick of people going on about FS2 - one person in particular who seemed to think it was her duty to tell anyone and everyone who posted in the Crime Solitaire forums. You'd think the beta testers would be under NDA - that or they signed it without knowing what it meant. Although one person claims to have beta'd both and said they preferred mine. Gives you hope!

Last edited 2011

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#41]
I beta'd it and it was pretty good, but you know what I prefer the original ;-p

On my Wizard of Oz forum all these people are complaining what an awful game it is EXCEPT they are complaining about a HOG with almost the same name. Really annoying.

WERDNA(Posted 2011) [#42]
Congrats Gfk. I think you are among the very small number of blitzers who actually
achieve some financial success with their games, so my hats off to you man.

Tis an honor to have you on the forums :D

GfK(Posted 2014) [#43]
THREAD NECRO!

Crime Solitaire has just released on iWin (actually 30th October 2014 but I didn't notice til just now).

http://www.iwin.com/games/crime-solitaire

It's doing quite nicely and is the number 1 solitaire game, and also at number 5 in the Top 100. It was at number 3 yesterday, and I'm not actually sure if it got to number 1 or not. I doubt it, happy with #3!

Why release three years later? iWin asked me for Crime Solitaire 2, which is to be released in the next few weeks, and wanted the original version too to fill the void. Interestingly I've seen a decent spike in sales of the original Crime Solitaire since the sequel was released. Life in the old dog yet...

That is all. As you were.

Matty(Posted 2014) [#44]
Well done. Never heard of iWin though.

GfK(Posted 2014) [#45]
Oops... would help if I added a link, wouldn't it?

Matty(Posted 2014) [#46]
Out of curiosity...

how long do you think it takes you to develop a game like this from initial concept to first sale?

How much of that time is spent on the "polishing" stage?

How do you cope between games, ie during development when I imagine there is less cash coming in...do you just live off the proceeds of the previous game?

It certainly doesn't seem the most hmm stable or secure of working / living arrangements. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing...I mean there are perks like setting your own hours and not answering to anyone.

I've heard you say (or at least I think I have) on these boards in the past that you could never go back to a 9-5 working for a boss type job.

GfK(Posted 2014) [#47]
Out of curiosity...

how long do you think it takes you to develop a game like this from initial concept to first sale?
I think this was about 10-12 months development, then probably another two months between submission and release. So, concept to first sale, say, 14 months?

How much of that time is spent on the "polishing" stage?
I tend to polish stuff as I go, but the final buff-up would probably have been 4-6 weeks.

How do you cope between games, ie during development when I imagine there is less cash coming in...do you just live off the proceeds of the previous game?
That's the idea. The revenue from game 1 has to get you through to game 2, and so on. I get paid minimum wage of £6.50/hour and we get by. I could pay myself double that but NOT taking as much as I can is part of a contingency plan because you never know how far the money your business has got is going to have to stretch.

It certainly doesn't seem the most hmm stable or secure of working / living arrangements. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing...I mean there are perks like setting your own hours and not answering to anyone.
It's not, but since my last "proper" job made me suicidal (and I'm not even exaggerating), it's the lesser of two evils.

I've heard you say (or at least I think I have) on these boards in the past that you could never go back to a 9-5 working for a boss type job.
Yep, but right now the insecurity is testing me. Crime Solitaire 2 did OK, but not nearly as well as I'd hoped for so it's definitely caused me a confidence crisis that means I haven't completely ruled out the option of just rolling over and giving up.

Oh, and I want a Bentley. :)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#48]
Well done on getting some more revenue from CS 1, happy dayz!

Dabhand(Posted 2014) [#49]
Congrats Dave! ;)

Dabz