Stargate Platformer (GB Style)

Community Forums/Showcase/Stargate Platformer (GB Style)

spraycanmansam(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi all,

Thought I'd post up my first tile based platformer. It's obviously Stargate Atlantis themed :P I was attempting to mimic ye old Gameboy effect which is why the resolution is small.

I learn't heaps about tile engines, etc writing this little game which will be invaluable in the future.

Here's some screenys ---

Download it and have a play if you like, it's only small, 1 level but it gives you an idea of the gameplay. Constructive criticisms welcome :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?ccibz8w1d20b712

Last edited 2011

col(Posted 2011) [#2]
Hehe :D

Cool little game :p
It plays very well.

There is only one thing I'd suggest :P and that is obviously the screen size. As a suggestion to make it more visible and not so tiny, simply double or triple the width and height and ajust the gfx accordingly.

I grew up on these platformer games, especially the original mario series on the trusty Nintendo systems, and the milliion and one fore-runners before that :p

EDIT :- Oh yeah, I know its a W.I.P but bigger and longer levels, also End-Of-Level bad guys would complete the package :D

Last edited 2011

grindalf(Posted 2011) [#3]
That was very awesome, but like col said longer levels, bosses, bigger resolution would complete the package.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#4]
Very nice :)

Found a bug though - if you shoot right at the end of the level, when the bullet goes off the screen the game will crash.

Also did you make it on purpose that the player cant keep jumping all the time?

spraycanmansam(Posted 2011) [#5]
Thanks for all the positive feedback :)
I've posted an updated version with x2 resolution and a longer level with the potential for a bad guy battle at the end.

I agree, the next big things would be end of level baddies and level progression. Still working on the sprite animations.. stuff the programming, making all the sprites has been the most painful part :P

@therevills, fixed the bug :) yeah I programmed it that way.. I suppose it's more of a personal thing but I hate it when you can bounce around the level :P

I originally wrote my own tile engine for it but ended up using Mappy simply for ease of level design. I think a tile/map editor will be my next project. I've learnt so much just from doing this little game!

Last edited 2011

therevills(Posted 2011) [#6]
In your main loop, make it so you can quit the game via the cross on the window (While Not AppTerminate()) :)

stuff the programming, making all the sprites has been the most painful

It always is!!!

I suppose it's more of a personal thing but I hate it when you can bounce around the level

Thats cool... just be careful when designing levels which require the player to make a running jump on a small platform.

I think a tile/map editor will be my next project

I've coded too many map editors!! I'm actually using Tiled right now...

Last edited 2011

spraycanmansam(Posted 2011) [#7]
Haha, I can imagine.
Tiled looks pretty good, much newer interface.
I noticed you're on the Monkey forums as well. Just dipping my toes as the multi-platform is really appealing.

Have you written a tile engine for Monkey? I tried installing Diddy, but can't get the bloody modules to build :/ My error I think...
I can create a tile engine that loads from preset arrays but I get stuck with loading maps from other programs :/

<EDIT> Nevermind, it was having trouble using Diddy with the demo (for obvious reasons) bought the full version and all works sweet now :)

Last edited 2011