Metal Spawn (minigame)

Community Forums/Showcase/Metal Spawn (minigame)

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi all, last weekend I organised a 48-hour indie game jam in Vancouver and it went very well and was great fun. As per usual I used BlitzMax and my minigame framework to bang out a small game called Metal Spawn.

You can try it out here: http://greyaliengames.com/blog/metal-spawn-new-minigame/

Last edited 2011

degac(Posted 2011) [#2]
Funny Game! and quite original space invaders variation! I like it

GaryV(Posted 2011) [#3]
awesome graphics

col(Posted 2011) [#4]
Excellent button basher :D

First go, I got me arse kicked out on Level7 :( lol
:D

OscarBraindeaD(Posted 2011) [#5]
Funny classic gameplay and good graphics... and done in 48 hours...
Good game, Grey Alien.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#6]
lol, good stuff. But why do people not turn the mouse pointer off these days? It's a game not excel or something. Sorry buddy, a pet hate of mine lol.

Some nice graphics there, even if it does quickly get impossible to dodge all the alien fire-power.

Last edited 2011

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#7]
Thanks for playing it everyone! It was supposed to have more gameplay to do with those turrets but I ran out of time, still it's fun to play and gets hard later on.

@Steve: I just forgot in the crazy 48-hour game jam.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#8]

@Steve: I just forgot in the crazy 48-hour game jam.

lol, no probs. Lots of people forget without a time constraint.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2011) [#9]
Yah that's a nice game. .. interesting sort of tower-defense meets invaders kind of thing.

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#10]
Yep that was the aim. I had more plans for the tower defense angle but ran out of time.

Foppy(Posted 2011) [#11]
Nice work! After a while it becomes difficult to avoid the enemy bullets. If you could duck and jump a bit, that would help. (Or make the enemy bullets fly less horizontally.) But to make this in such a short time is impressive.

Last edited 2011

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#12]
Wow! I loved it :)

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#13]
Cute.

I got to level 8, 8872 points.

Pretty much unplayable at that point, though.

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#14]
@Foppy: I'm impressed that you noticed the horizontal bullet flaw. It was actually on my to do list to only make them fire when they were sort of close to you which should avoid horizontal bullets. As you said, no time. If I made a proper shooter, I'd have to do that for sure.

@SLotman: Thanks!!

@xlsior: Not bad, but it should be possible to get beyond 10K fairly easily. I can get to level 12 with 20K but of course I made it ;-) Did you notice that the pickups you get can carry over to the next level? I always save some and then dump a load of turrets at the start of a new level.

MikeHart(Posted 2011) [#15]
NICE! You should port it over to a mobile platform. I love the graphics. They look handdrawn. Were they?
Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#16]
Graphics were made by Cody on his tablet. Some were made using a vector program (aliens, player etc) and backgrounds were drawn using a graphics tablet.