Some random fluid simulations...

Community Forums/Showcase/Some random fluid simulations...

Nate the Great(Posted 2011) [#1]
I was on a road trip so I decided to run some simulations with the fluid engine I've been working on integrating into Verlet Max. These are not real time but they show the flexibility of the system for real time simulations as well as slower more accurate simulations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkC4Ceywbmc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irjPkdEK0Wg&NR=1

all of this was written in Blitz Max

Last edited 2011

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#2]
Looking great :D

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#3]
Very cool. Thought it was real time though lol.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2011) [#4]
It took 3 hours?

Looks really nice. Although in the second video is gives the impression that the liquid is rising way too high and maybe is a little too bouncy perhaps.

But it does feel quite realistic.

OscarBraindeaD(Posted 2011) [#5]
Hi all,
very impressive Nate, good work.
BTW, which lib are you using to it? it's available? it's written by you?

Regards

Nate the Great(Posted 2011) [#6]
It took 3 hours?

haha yeah it did but I just realized this morning my nearest neighbor search algorithm is messed up and wasn't much better than simply checking every particle against all the other particles. I fixed it now though. :D (that also may have been the source of the bounciness)

BTW, which lib are you using to it? it's available? it's written by you?

I wrote my own physics engine but its still a WIP. I used smoothed particle hydrodynamics for the fluid physics but tutorials and papers are pretty hard to find. Ill release the physics and fluid engines eventually, but my programming time is pretty erratic at the moment..

Thanks for the comments!

Rico(Posted 2011) [#7]
Those are amazing. i had an idea for a game i wanted to do where you move liquid using the analogue sticks on a gamepad which in turn manouvers shapes around. you could do some cool stuff with liquid in games - not just water effects. how fast do they run real-time? (fps)

Nate the Great(Posted 2011) [#8]
Hi Rico, your right fluids are really flexible when it comes to gameplay. To answer your question, I can get 4 to 6 thousand particles in real time at 30 fps.

Canardian(Posted 2011) [#9]
I've been playing around with your older fluid demo, and ported it to C++ and Fortran. While the C++ version can do over 2200 verlets at 60 FPS, the Fortran version can do over 2600 at 60 FPS.

I would love to try out your newest and optimized fluid code in Fortran!
And since Fortran can make also DLLs, it could be used from BlitzMax too.

Last edited 2011

Rico(Posted 2011) [#10]
@Nate thats impressive., thats not too far off the 10,000 in your demo really, considering thats not in real-time