GLSL Life

Community Forums/Showcase/GLSL Life

tesuji(Posted 2011) [#1]
An implementation of Conway's Game of Life running on the GPU. Initially written as a hello world GLSL/FBO exercise, extensive gold plating and polishing turned it into a more complete application

Windows download SLife_win32.zip
Mac OSX (x86) download SLife.dmg

As this requires at least OpenGL 2.1 and GLSL 1.2+, its compatibility with older OS's drivers, GPU's is somewhat restricted. C'est la Vie.

I'll release the source once it's been tidied up a bit. Note that you can read (& change!) the fragment shader code in /shaders.

Enjoy.

Last edited 2012

MCP(Posted 2011) [#2]
Looks great Tesuji

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2011) [#3]
Pretty cool that it runs on the gpu. Looking towards seeing the code for that.

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#4]
Even though the focus is on the simulation, you have a very nice interface going on (the antialiased buttons, the layout etc.).

As you posted this in the Blitz Showcase, I presume it's BMax?

Last edited 2011

tesuji(Posted 2011) [#5]
Thanks guys.

Yep, it's written in Blitzmax. Uses GLMax2DDriver, so a mix of max2d + opengl. Interface is all custom, simple procedurally drawn button backgrounds etc. (button images just drawn using gimp). Will try to remember to put some more of that in the code archives.

The life simulation was actually an aside to getting familier with fragment shaders + FBO (for render to texture). I wanted to use this technology for my next incarnation of Elemental which will hopefully have a fluid simulation core with chemical particle interaction on top.