Dungeon Seeker

Community Forums/Showcase/Dungeon Seeker

grindalf(Posted 2011) [#1]
Ive been wanting to make an old fashioned dungeon crawl for a while now and eventually found the time to start it.

At the moment the dungeons are being randomly generated from some code from the code archives(thanks Curtastic)
I have randomly placed enemies and doors and basic fighting is working
with full stats working.

Movement is the same as the old dungeon master games, turning is a 90 degree instant turn and movement is 1 full grid instant move.

Im hoping to have a playable demo up soon :D

Grisu(Posted 2011) [#2]
Looks interesting... I love these old games such as "Lands of Lore".

Would be nice to have a semi-transparent. Also you could use the complete screen to display the dungeon itself with no black spaces.

Like this:

Grisu

Last edited 2011

grindalf(Posted 2011) [#3]
I have plans for that black space ;)

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#4]
Coolness, I love this type of game. Keep going.

joncom2000(Posted 2011) [#5]
Wouldnt that black space normally house the arrows to control the game via mouse, maybe a compass as well. Will be interested to see some more I like this type of game as well :)

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2011) [#6]
very nice!
I know there are quite a few of us out there that really miss these types of games.

Its looking really good!

grindalf(Posted 2011) [#7]
I updated my graphics card drivers because I couldent get deled to show textured mode(which is working now) :D but now I cant see the textures on my enemies, although it still keeps the same shape(see image below and image in the post above for what the enemy should look like)

A few friends had told me that they couldent see the texture on the enemy so I guess I now have the same problem they have.
the enemy is just a textured sprite
Any ideas on what Im doing wrong here?

GaryV(Posted 2011) [#8]
Any ideas on what Im doing wrong here?
You are not trying to use Blitz3D on modern operating systems (Vista & 7) by any chance, are you?

Shots look good and I like the textures.

grindalf(Posted 2011) [#9]
no its on xp. it was working fine before I installed new graphics drivers(although other people reported problems)
plus I do have a vista machine and blitz3D works fine on it.

Last edited 2011

GaryV(Posted 2011) [#10]
Are you using the latest version of B3D?

Last edited 2011

grindalf(Posted 2011) [#11]
I wasn't sure but I downloaded and installed the latest version with no difference.

Matt Vinyl(Posted 2011) [#12]
Looking very nice. I too, enjoyed these sort of games, such as Eye of the Beholder and Abandoned Places.

I've often wondered (and posted here before, I think!) as to how they achieved the graphical 3D effect by only using 2D imagery - it always felt like you would have to draw literally hundreds of individual images to account for each position the play could be in on the map. Any ideas?

I look forward to trying this one out. :)

grindalf(Posted 2011) [#13]
@ Matt
this one is true 3D with the movement made to make it feel like the old 2D games.
I once made an old 2D one in an rpgmaker(rpgtoolkit) I used 23 images for each object at each position it could be(one side only) and then layered the images over each other to create the complete dungeon view.

Back to my problem. it only happens with sprites so if I can't find a solution I will just use a flat 2 triangle object and turn it to always face the camera. not as simple as using the blitz built in sprites but at least it works.

Matt Vinyl(Posted 2011) [#14]
Thanks for the advice on technique - thinking about it, that would most likely be the best way to do it. :)

Hopefully you can resolve your sprite problem - sorry I can't assist on that too much though. :(

mkg(Posted 2011) [#15]
Keen to see a demo of this! :) Maybe post one even if you haven't managed to fix the sprite problem so more of us can test it and thus maybe narrow down the problem?

Ross C(Posted 2011) [#16]
Try loading your sprites, and textures with the colour flag and alpha or masked flag, even if that's the default setting. I know this crashes some computers if you don't. Don't know if it was fixed. It was a pretty obscure bug though.

Have you tried for the time being just loading a texture and applying it to a cube? If that works, then you'll probably be best creating quads, and using them instead of your sprites.

Oh, game looks totally awesome btw!

EDIT: Another thing is to try what you have, without any fog. The fog maybe affecting the sprite and causing it to be dark.

Last edited 2011

grindalf(Posted 2011) [#17]
@Ross C thanks for the advice I will give those a try later. for now I changed to a cube and scaled it super thin on the z axis and always point it at the camera, thats working fine for now.

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#18]
This definitely looks to me like the texture flag bug that Ross mentions rearing its head again. IIRC, it happens when you select a combination of flags which does not include the color flag (1). It used to be the case that 1 was considered "always on" and setting other flags did not change that. However, at some point, either a Blitz update or a graphics driver update seems to have changed this. So ensure that you still set the color flag as well as the alpha or masked flags or whatever other flags you're setting. If I really am remembering correctly, explicitly setting the color flag should be the fix.

grindalf(Posted 2011) [#19]
For now Ive decided to stick with a two triangle mesh, but its good to know how to get around the problem for future uses of sprites. thanks guys.

I want to fix a couple of small things(impossible to finish a dungeon at the moment, needs potions or cure spells) and then I will upload a demo :D