Trapped Released

Community Forums/Showcase/Trapped Released

Wiebo(Posted 2011) [#1]
How's that for a indecisive title!?? =]

I just released my game! I hope you enjoy it.
You can download the game from my blog: http://wiebo.wordpress.com

Here is the readme and some screenshots:

Readme for Trapped!
====================

Thank you for downloading and playing Trapped.
This game is freeware. If you have paid for it you have been ripped off.

This game is a shoot-em-up, an arena shooter, but with a little twist.
It's recommended you read this readme, but if you read this, you obviously don't need this recommendation. :) Forgive me, I am just afraid people won't 'get it'.

Mission Briefing:
=================

While testing new portable portal technology, you and your portal device end up in another dimension.
The inhabitants of this dimension are energy based beings, and you are not wanted in their world. The entire dimension is hostile towards your ship. Just being in there will damage you and your portal device. The portal device will implode in two minutes after entering the stage.

You are Trapped. The only way out is to energise your portal device to go to the next dimension within this time limit. Luckily, your ship is fitted with the so called Collector Device, designed to trap and hold energy. With this device you can catch aliens and force them onto your portal, thereby transferring their energy to the device.

Game Instructions:
==================

To prevent dying shoot aliens to regain ship energy. Shooting aliens while being at full energy level will advance the weapon power-up bar at the bottom of the screen. Your gun is upgradable once per stage.

Catch yellow drones with your Collector Device and drag the captured aliens into the portal device to transfer energy to your device. To advance to the next stage you must fill up your portal device to full capacity.

Some enemies cannot be caught without destroying their protective layers. Pull of the protection with the Collector Device and then shoot the alien core to destroy (or catch) it.

Once in a while you will enter a bonus stage. Shoot the incoming aliens, and collect the bonus points if you survive the assault!

Controls:
=========

You NEED a dual stick gamepad to play this game.
The first thing to do after starting the game is configure your game pad. Use the ARROW KEYS to enter the 'Options' menu and select 'Input' and 'Configure Joypad'.
Take note of the 'Collector' button: you need this button to start and stop the Collector device.

Troubleshooting:
================

First: If you DO find a bug, or have issues, please contact me: wiebo.de.wit AT gmail.com
Second: The .ini file for Trapped is stored in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Trapped, if you play on Windows 7.

Audio: This game NEEDS OpenAL for audio. If you have installed OpenAL on your system you can delete the 'OpenAL32.dll' and 'wrap_oal.dll' from the game directory.

Credits:
========

Trapped is (c) 2011, by Wiebo de Wit.

Code, graphics and design by Wiebo.
Audio by Muttley and Wiebo.
Testing by Muttley, John Parker, Matthew Smith and other helpful people. Much appreciated!

Thanks to Muttley for his enormous help with the game and his Blitz Max framework: RRFW
Get it at : //http://code.google.com/p/retroremakes-framework

Thanks to Mark Sibly and all the folks at blitzbasic.com for their continued enthousiasm for
the Blitz line of languages; it doesn't get much better than this.

Enjoy and Thanks for playing!

Last edited 2011

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#2]
nice indecisive title - ahha ha
You NEED a dual stick gamepad to play this game.

D'oh!

Matthew Smith(Posted 2011) [#3]
Well done Wiebo! Congrats on getting this finally finished!

Wiebo(Posted 2011) [#4]
D'oh!

I think I will add kb/mouse for those less fortunate but it will play clunky, is my experience.

Thanks Matthew!

Last edited 2011

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#5]
I still only get a part of the screen drawn at the default resolution - unless I alter the ini file. But where is it on Vista?!

I think you should make it clear that the dll's could cause an error message if OpenAL is already installed.

Wiebo(Posted 2011) [#6]
Hi Steve. The ini file is located in your profile folder. Did you read the trouble shooting part of the readme file?

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#7]
Strangle shenannigins on the Blitz site too lol.

Last edited 2011

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#8]

Did you read the trouble shooting part of the readme file?

Yes I did lol :p

The readme file doesn't mention error messages if you don't delete the dlls and the ini file is nowhere to be seen.

[Edit]
Maybe the ini file has been trapped somewhere too. :D

Wiebo(Posted 2011) [#9]
It's true, it does not tell you about the possible error messages. I will add that to the readme.

I read that the ini file might be at C:\Users\Common\Application Data\
or maybe you can search the C: drive for trapped.ini ?

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#10]
Probably best. Game still runs, but error messages are never welcome.

I've seached, but it's nowhere to be seen! A resolution screen selection should be included though. What exactly is the default? 800 X 600 seems the norm.

Wiebo(Posted 2011) [#11]
800x600, windowed, is the default resolution for this game.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#12]
On a 1680x1024 screen, that's not much ;-)

Wiebo(Posted 2011) [#13]
I run it on 1680x1024 as well =] It looks ace. did you get it to work? I think I will release and 1.1 version soon which will keep the ini file in the game dir (the new locations suck and cause too much confusion ) and will add keyboard/mouse controls.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#14]
Not without that ini file I can't. Very strange it has the problem though, not seen that before. People shouldn't have to edit files manually though mate lol.

Wiebo(Posted 2011) [#15]
Do you think I'm not aware of that? =] I meant that it would be less confusing in case of problems.
I'll change it for 1.1 but when that is released I don't know. I kinda moved on to Monkey programming.

Last edited 2011

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#16]

Do you think I'm not aware of that? =] I meant that it would be less confusing in case of problems.

lol, just stick a download link for the ini here.

Wiebo(Posted 2011) [#17]
Steve, maybe this helps?

I updated the game to version 1.1. Added Keyboard/Mouse controls and updated the readme and in-game texts. Get it from my blog: http://wiebo.wordpress.com/2011/05/23/trapped-1-1/

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#18]
Aha!! I worked out why the game-screen is cropped - switch from DirectX 7 to DirectX 9! Some bug in BlitzMax modules?

Editing the ini file and changing GFX_DRIVER="DirectX7" to GFX_DRIVER="DirectX9" OR changing the graphics resolution to my desktop resolution if using DirectX 7 works.

Last edited 2011

stanrol(Posted 2011) [#19]
cool.

Wiebo(Posted 2011) [#20]
That is strange, Steve... It never happens here, so maybe it's a driver feature. I'll go check to see if the graphics change method is resetting the viewport when only changing resolution, not driver. Thanks.
I'm glad it nowworks for you.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#21]
Yes, it looks like either a DirectX 7 driver feature or BlitzMax Module bug. Or even a Windows emulated Direct Draw feature. No probs.

Personally I wouldn't use DirectX 7 for anything these days because it uses out of date 2d drawing techniques (Direct Draw - rather than textured polys) so is emulated under Windows - use DirectX 9.

Last edited 2011