Irukandji 2

Community Forums/Showcase/Irukandji 2

jkrankie(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi,

I'm trying to get some feedback on this: http://www.charliesgames.com/wordpress/?p=583

Let me know what you think, especially about the controls.

Gratuitous pic:

Cheers
Charlie

Grisu(Posted 2011) [#2]
Great work. - Runs smoothly here @ 1920x1080 with an ATI 6850 card.
Had to increase the mouse speed a lot though.

The one thing that I'm missing is true widescreen support for the game.
I'd love to have that baddies all over the desktop. Make a semi transparent gui instead of these black borders.

And please give the player some kind of defense shield. I usually get cornered at some point with no way out, which is kind of frustrating. Or you could make the player change sides e.g. if he reaches the edges of the screen.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2011) [#3]
Very nice. Love the accuracy of mouse control - like it at 1.25 speed.

Sung(Posted 2011) [#4]
Wow thats so beautifull!
runs smooth on my Samsung Q-45 Netbook.

tesuji(Posted 2011) [#5]
Awesome graphics, music and sound effects. Really adds to the atmosphere. Enjoyed it a lot. Liked the vertical slice screen layout.

Best controller speed for me was about 4 on a Macbook Pro track pad.

jkrankie(Posted 2011) [#6]
Thanks guys!

It should run much quicker than the first one. I'm using some custom OpenGL stuff for drawing things rather than max2d.

Almost everyone has said the mouse is too slow, so i'm obviously going to have to bump up the default speed.

Cheers
Charlie

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2011) [#7]
Yah it's a little slow, bumped it somewhere between 1.25-1.5 for me felt good, otherwise it's a bit too prone to bumping into stuff? I presume you're using vertex arrays?

Last edited 2011

jkrankie(Posted 2011) [#8]
No vertex arrays actually. I should probably work them out! I'm only binding one texture though, so i don't know if the speed bump from using vertex arrays would be that much.

I'm actually using Minib3d for the camera, although i'm guessing that there's some overhead using this. Ideally i'd like to remove it and replace with something more lightweight.

Cheers
Charlie

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#9]
This is fantastic. Great look and feel. I actually didn't mind the mouse speed at the default setting. Runs fine on my machine, but it ought to as the PC is bang up to date and Win 7.

btw, how did Bullet Candy do for you on Steam? I'm guessing you won't have too much trouble getting this on Steam too.

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#10]
Oh also, are you vSyncing? If so you might want to check out this thread I started about mouse lag because the simple fix also improves OpenGL in full-screen mode: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=94676

jkrankie(Posted 2011) [#11]
Bullet Candy, which went on Steam in 2007, has done ok! I'm not driving around in a ferrari though, if that's what you mean ;)

I'm not using vsyncing. I don't think it's a huge issue here though, i'm not convinced many of my users actually run my games in a window where the tearing is more obvious. I'm also not using Max2d, which seems to be the issue for you with your lag? correct me if i'm wrong.

Cheers
Charlie

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#12]
Glad it has done OK for you. Yeah I looked but couldn't see tearing so your style of game must work well with no vsync. Yeah Max2D has a lag in the DX9 module. What are you using B3D then?

jkrankie(Posted 2011) [#13]
I'm using Blitzmax, but with MiniB3d for the 3d Camera and my own drawing stuff. Max2d is a bit slow when you want to be turning up the particles.

Cheers
Charlie

TaskMaster(Posted 2011) [#14]
If you do not use vsync and you update you screen very quickly, like 300+ fps, then tearing is minimized, because the stuff on the screen will not have moved far between two frame updates that may occur during a draw cycle to the screen.

Of course, this depends on the type of game and how far things might be moving between frames.

Now, if you update at 90 fps or something, then there is more likelihood of noticing tearing, if things have moved farther between frames.

Last edited 2011

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#15]
Very interesting thanks Charlie.

Yes I agree TaskMaster. On some slower PCs tearing might be more obvious. However the game doesn't have that many vertical lines (everything is organic and blobby/glowy) and they are what you notice tearing on the most.

Last edited 2011

Taron(Posted 2011) [#16]
You just have a gorgeous style, man! Beautiful. I think it feels very smooth and interestingly challenging. Love the superblaster, hehehe, very elegant and forceful.

Anyway, where ever you're headed with it, it's a looker for sure. Makes me wonder, if there's a way to deliver this kind of beauty with more chances to enjoy it, really.

Eitherway: ROCK ON! And good luck with everything.

Pete Carter(Posted 2011) [#17]
very nice, i like the mouse speed just a bit faster than default

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2011) [#18]
You should check out vertex arrays even if you're using one texture, it can be up to 2x the performance.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2011) [#19]
using miniB3D camera:
miniB3d does a camera view frustum culling, which I guess if you're doing your own off/on-screen sprite tracking you could remove to get a small speed increase per frame. The culling does around 24 multiplies and 6 square roots.