Hack, Slash, Loot, Beta

Community Forums/Showcase/Hack, Slash, Loot, Beta

Oddball(Posted 2011) [#1]
I would very much appreciate if you would try the Hack, Slash, Loot, Beta and provide feedback. Details and downloads can be found here, but I've also included some details below. Thank you.

Downloads
Windows | Mac(Intel) | Linux

Feedback
Below are some feedback questions that I would like completing and returning. Feel free to include screen captures or video of any bugs or glitches you may find. Pressing F4 will save a screenshot.

*Did it run? This one is pretty important
*System specs Including OS, and desktop resolution.
*Usability How easy was the game to understand and learn how to play? What needs explaining better or didn't you understand?
*Performance The game is not fully optimised yet but I'd like to get an idea of how it performs on different systems. Note any points where the game pauses or slows down. One key area is the procedurally generated sound, does the game pause when a sound effect is played.
*Balancing Again the game isn't fully balanced yet, but I'd like to get feedback on what is currently overpowered or too weak. This includes items, monsters, and the player' characters as well as level layout and item/monster frequency.
*Key controls This one's for those that play roguelikes regularly. Do the keyboard controls conform to accepted roguelike standards?
*Anything else Did you like the games mechanics? Are the graphics readable? What price range would a game of this nature fit into? Also please add any other comments you feel appropriate.

Last edited 2011

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2011) [#2]
I haven't downloaded it yet, but I have to say, I am trully impressed with the style and detail! This looks very, very good! Downloading now to try it!

Thank you!

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2011) [#3]
It ran, Win7, Intel Quad core, Intel G41 gfx. 1280x600

Usability:
It took me a few tries to figure out the basic game mechanics, like picking things up, using things, inspecting things, but not that long. One thing that got me confused was when I was over an item I thought I could pick it up, but couldn't pick it up. Then I realized I was right next to it and had to step to it. That was confusing.

Performance:
No problems, except one at the beginning, after I press continue, the red screen scrolls up slowly and kindof sits there. It goes away once I walk around. This was in full-screen mode and windowed mode.

Balance:
It's a hard game. I played the human wizard, and got killed a lot on level 1. I rarely found items that healed me. I rarely found items that I could actually use, most were spears and bows.

One game I started off with a golbin right beside me, then the first room I chose was full of golbins. No biggie, but it gave me no chance to get any items to power up.

Anything else:
The graphics are good, readable, I "got it" right away. The turn log may be a tad large.

Price? Oh, I don't know. Since I couldn't get past level 1, I'd say nothing... but I know the trick is that you need to make it a little easier for the first level, then harder on each subsequent level to pull your players in. If it's casual, you cant make it too hard or people won't buy it. I'd suggest making the stairs heal you on the first level, or add a little fountain of healing (only heals to a max level of life or heals 3 times). The monsters seemed balanced, just no chance to heal.

Overall, I think it's got great possibilities, love random levels, but I don't see the depth of the game at this point. I only see the limitations (not enough loot for wizard, dying too much).

Also, does it save games? I saw no option. Adventure games always need a save.

Also, the game didn't have an icon on the exe, but you might be working on that.

Hope that helps, fun game! Great job.

Last edited 2011

degac(Posted 2011) [#4]
Hi

downloaded and run on my crap-linux machine (LinuxMint7 on an AspireOne): it runs well and the game is very playable!

There are only some 'flashing' screen at the start (when the logo is shown).
The only negative (for me) point is the graphic too much small: text and icons on a netbook are very difficult to see, maybe some hack to 'extends' the game area to all the screen will be helpful.

6(Posted 2011) [#5]
*Did it run: Yep, no issues

*System specs: Win7-64Bit, AMD PhenomX6, 6Gig Ram, ATI5770

*Usability: Easy to use. It only took a couple of deaths to get into the swing of things

*Performance: No problems at all. Played for about 30mins

*Balancing: Quite a hard game as I didn't see anything that could regenerate my life easily. Starting all over again after dying wasn't great but I know that's the whole point of this type of game.

*Key controls: I used the keys to move and the mouse to attack and pick up objects which suited me fine

*Anything else?: Its a really cool little game and very cute to look at. The only thing I would worry about is how long it would take before I got bored just going down dungeons and killing the same old creatures. I'm don't play RogueLike games so I might not be the ideal audience. I need a goal to work towards, so even having an online highscore would be an incentive

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#6]
LARN!

Downloading now, looks cool for sure.

Warpy(Posted 2011) [#7]
Ahh, what happened to my quest? Does it not save when you close the game?

Matty(Posted 2011) [#8]
Played briefly after work -

Graphics cute, but a little on the small side of things.

Easy enough to play...not sure if my wizard can cast other spells I just ran around zapping things by clicking on them...

As others say - difficult to last too long with limited healing available however I'm not sure that is a problem as I'm sure if you do get lucky and survive past the initial stages like with most of these games you will end up being quite powerful and find it hard to die...

No sound on my work pc so can't comment on that.

Tempts me to make something similar myself...again...but I know how much work it is which puts me off....

Warpy(Posted 2011) [#9]
*Did it run? Yes.
*System specs: Dell XPS16. Windows 7, 1920x1080, ATI something-or-other.
*Usability: Very easy to pick up, but still not sure which monsters do which kind of damage. Because the y-axis is so squashed it's a bit tricky to pick the right cell, even with the graphics scaled up.
*Performance: no problems.
*Balancing: I've had a couple of goes where I finished the first level with 60+ health and a mental character, and a few more where I died pretty quickly after taking double-digit damage a few times in a row straight after starting. Health potion distribution could be more consistent. Have you worked out the variances for things like damage dealt and chests/crate numbers?
*Key controls: Mouse all the way!
*Anything else: Fun game, I've come back to it a few times today. Good time-waster. Charge under a fiver.

Last edited 2011

*(Posted 2011) [#10]
*Did it run? Yes
*System specs - Mac Mini, OSX 10.6.7, 1Gb ram
*Usability How easy was the game to understand and learn how to play? Its easy enough to do but I do think the game needs more variety
*Performance - it runs fine, however there is no inventory etc which would be nice along with health potions etc.
*Balancing - I do think that the first level monsters should be simple
*Key controls - they perform fine :)
*Anything else:
Did you like the games mechanics? - its a nice idea :)
Are the graphics readable? Yes they are fine
What price range would a game of this nature fit into? £4.99 tops
Also please add any other comments you feel appropriate. Add much more to the game, more quests, items etc. Have gravestones where 'previous' adventurers fell.

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#11]
*Did it run? Yes
*System specs Windows 7 64-bit, Intel i7, 4GB RAM, Geforce GTX 460, Desktop Res: 1920x1200
*Usability I understand roguelikes so understood this. New players to the genre may not of course. I found that the angle of view meant the small rectangles were hard to click on, and often when attacking an enemy I'd click their head which was on the square above instead. I had already boosted the window size twice so this was a definite usability issue. I got "used to it" in the end, but you shouldn't have to do that.
*Performance Did not notice anything here.
*Balancing Again I only played level one and it felt enjoyable, fun, not too challenging.
*Key controls I used mouse.
*Anything else:

- I love the aesthetics and polish you have put into this, and I'm a fan of the genre. Great work.
- I did find having the text behind the map a little distracting and it destroyed the sense of immersion for me, I'd have preferred that in a small panel.
- On the title screen it was not immediately obvious what to click to play!
- I also found it weird not having an inventory.

As for selling it, this is tricky because the game looks like a (good) free game. Depends where you plan to sell it. Steam wouldn't take it without more polish/content I suspect, but you could sell it on your own site and build a following, and affiliate it to other sites. Price it too low and people will think it's a crappy game, and too high and they'll expect more. So maybe $9.99 is a good fit. Also this could do well on iPad (for $4.95) if you can get the controls feeling natural (there are a few roguelikes on there I've tried out.)

Good luck with it!

Last edited 2011

Jur(Posted 2011) [#12]
No problem on my amd x2, ati, vista system.
Base gameplay seems easy to understand.
Graphics are too tiny for my taste.

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#13]
Hey the game got mentioned on indiegames.com!

http://indiegames.com/2011/05/demo_hack_slash_loot_david_williamson.html

Mainsworthy(Posted 2011) [#14]
There are not many games this good!

John Cage(Posted 2011) [#15]
Nice game, but too difficult to me. The first level should be some kind of Indroductionary-kind-of level.

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#16]
*Did it run? Yes
*System specs: Win XP, 1280x800, 1GB RAM, ATI Radeon Mob. X1300.
*Usability: very easy. Just think it needs a 'pause' or 'options' button somewhere. Also the "small window/big window" thing should be changed to windowed mode/fullscreen - less confusing that way.
*Performance: ran pretty well. No pauses detected.
*Balancing: Last couple of levels I was waaay to powerful. I found a "swift" potion, which allowed me to move twice (or attack twice) per round - so in the latest levels I could kill any monsters in 1 or 2 turns.

Lots of energy too (300+ points - very few in the initial levels, but lots and lots in the last one.)

Also, killing the 'main' bad guy was disappointing, to say the least - he died with only 1 shot!!!

*Key controls: I actually used more the mouse. Just used the keys to move around.

The game is just outstanding. I had a couple of bad beginnings (sometimes a lot of monsters spawn right besides the player, right at the first room!) - but after some tries, I finally manage to get one good play with the wizard, and went all the way to the finish.

An idea: when showing a new weapon/armor stats, change the letter colors according to the changes - if it will increase a value, draw it with green letters, if it will decrease it, write with in red. Makes it easier to figure out if it's better to use that equipment or not.

P.S.: Do you know those sprites you're using can't be used on commercial games? Link: http://www.oryxdesignlab.com/sprites/ (look at the CC license in the bottom)

Last edited 2011

AdamStrange(Posted 2011) [#17]
game runs great on mac mini 2.6

graphics a bit on the small size but overall excellent :)

great style

Oddball(Posted 2011) [#18]
Thanks everyone who tested. The version above is a bit out of date now. I have a new version ready to go, but I get married tomorrow so I'm waiting 'til after everything has settled down before I release it.

Last edited 2011

jkrankie(Posted 2011) [#19]
Congratulations! Have a good day :)

Cheers
Charlie

*(Posted 2011) [#20]
congrats mate :D

Wiebo(Posted 2011) [#21]
Congrats!

Grisu(Posted 2011) [#22]
Have a great day!

Taron(Posted 2011) [#23]
HAHA, CONGRATS! And hopefully some nice honeymoon for both of you!
Game looks very authentic and original at the same time. I might give it a go later, too.

daaan(Posted 2011) [#24]
Yeah.. this demo is freaking incredible. I can't wait until it is finished!

Stamm(Posted 2011) [#25]
Looks nice and I'm having no perf problems on my AMD Quad/3GB/XP system.
I didn't get past level 1 though, so you should definitely add some more healing in the first levels.
Clicking enemies also seemed to behave oddly: I was mouseovering an enemy and getting "Skip go" shown instead of "Attack X". This even caused me to die a couple of times.
Keys appear to work, but I think you should add an in-game help that explains hotkeys at the very least.
Graphics... well, like above posters said, they could use some more extending in the y axis. Also, the viewing distance is really small.