Furious Frank

Community Forums/Showcase/Furious Frank

JoshK(Posted 2011) [#1]
This one's pretty popular. I believe it's coded in BlitzMax, as well as the underlying engine:
http://leadwerks.com/werkspace/index.php/files/file/183-furious-frank-demo/

By Marley's Ghost.

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#2]
its not based on frank garrett is it?

MadJack(Posted 2011) [#3]
That fellow on the left looks like he's in need of medical attention.

I'm guessing the next thing the player does is activate the 'assist injured bystander by applying first aid and stay with him till the ambulance arrives' ability. After all, it would be the decent thing to do.

Last edited 2011

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#4]
Hmmm,

Indeed, he seems to have developed some nasty cataracts at the same time as spilling his Chilli down his front. He's not having a good day.

MadJack(Posted 2011) [#5]
Indeed BP. He's no doubt looking for someone to hand him a paper towel to at least clean the worst of it off his t-shirt. Although visually impaired, I expect he understands he's had an accident and so is visibly upset.

I sincerely hope the player does the right thing and activates the 'offer paper towel and direct him to the nearest public water fountain utility' ability next. It's what the responsible gamer would do.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#6]
In all seriousness, its not that great really, is it? Its just a flat textured plane with a couple of random trees plopped on it. And some barrel physics.

I've seen far better stuff produced with LE. Although this is allegedly Blitzmax, I'm baffled as to why you'd choose this as a centrepiece for LE.

Last edited 2011

macklebee(Posted 2011) [#7]
1) It is blitzmax with some lua scripts
2) It is just a demo not a fully fleshed out game
3) Don't understand why you are baffled since it isn't being promoted as the centerpiece for LE?

Last edited 2011

GfK(Posted 2011) [#8]
Don't understand why you are baffled since it isn't being promoted as the centerpiece for LE?
Well, because its not very good. It scarcely competes with stuff that was being produced with Blitz3D a decade ago. If you're going to post in the Blitz Showcase out of all the stuff that's on the LE site, then why would you pick something so crude and basic? Because its Blitzmax? If that's the reason, and this is the best/only game Blitzmax + LE is responsible for, then I probably wouldn't have bothered.

That is all.

macklebee(Posted 2011) [#9]
wow - spoken like a true asshole... but after a couple of years reading your comments its not a surprise.

If you would have read the description provided in the link you would have read that it was just something essentially put together in a day... there was no claim of it ever being a fleshed out game. But cheers to you for taking shots at someone's work for no reason at all but to be an ass. Lovely community.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#10]
If you would have read the description provided in the link you would have read that it was just something essentially put together in a day... there was no claim of it ever being a fleshed out game. But cheers to you for taking shots at someone's work for no reason at all but to be an ass. Lovely community.
I did read it - don't assume. This is the showcase forum and critique is to be expected when you post here. If all JoshK wanted (and I'm sure he can speak for himself without you wading in with childish insults) was unashamed back-slapping and relentless fawning, then he would have said so in his post. He's big enough to take it, even though it isn't even his project to show but I'm not getting into that.

wow - spoken like a true asshole... but after a couple of years reading your comments its not a surprise.
Its just an opinion. Go read the forum rules about personal insults. They even apply to pondlife like me.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2011) [#11]
..im not sure how this demo reflects B3D from 10 years ago...many things available in this small demo, contain things B3D still dreaming about, features wise..graphically, it could and can be better, but as it was stated, its just small demonstration, and it doesnt reflect what can be done with Bmax or LE..note that it was done with Bmax and LE is most probably because of non violating BRL, in sense of showing things done with competitors products..thats all..really not that bad to be nailed on to burning spears...just my 2 cents..

Eternal Crisis(Posted 2011) [#12]
Art wise, no, this isn't the best as seen from the LE website/world. However, those screens you normally see are merely demonstrating art and the rendering power/quality of LE. All of them, or at least most of them, have zero game mechanics beyond basic camera control.

The game being posted in this forum is demonstrating game mechanics, not art, and demonstrating those mechanics built within a days work (plus some by now, and by the time that screen-shot was created). It's demonstrated well, I should say, as it does more than what it seems. More than just barrel physics.

Basic AI using a navigation mesh, AI sound/health/weapon, weapon effects/sound, basic movement, basic GUI, basic radar GUI, day/night cycle with clouds, none of that comes packaged with LE and is written from scratch by Marley's Ghost. He did an excellent job, especially with his limited amount of time, and I wait to see further progress.

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#13]
you would have read that it was just something essentially put together in a day

Actually I think that this piece of information makes a huge difference. The screenshot isn't great for a big project that someone worked on full time for a number of weeks... but for something done in one day? Amazing.

...so it should have been in the top post, because I didn't read the link (not knowing why it was interesting, I didn't care enough to follow it) and I imagine many other readers didn't either.

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#14]
I thought the graphics were good, you are not going to be criticising the details on that zombie when he is running toward you ready to tear you up,

the lighting looks quite advanced compared to blitz3d, and the fact that it can use blitzmax is good,

JoshK(Posted 2011) [#15]
The artwork isn't great and it's obviously just a bunch of props plopped onto the ground, but it's fun and I like seeing people do creative things.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2011) [#16]
Looks good to me. Reminiscent of a commercial title some years back, the name of which escapes me.

joncom2000(Posted 2011) [#17]
I Seriously doubt Sam's going to be worried ;)

Yeah not the best art/models on the planet but it's pretty fun to play for a quick made project.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#18]
The difference is, I can actually run Blitz3D produced games.

Ked(Posted 2011) [#19]
The difference is, I can actually run Blitz3D produced games.

I thought the leadwerks engine was being updated so that it will run on lower systems?

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#20]
As you said, it is being updated. It's not released yet, AFAIK.

For me the best BMax + LE picture yet is that of HNPhan: http://blitzbasic.com/gallery/view_pic.php?id=1896&gallery=hr&page=2 - Next gen effects, nice lighting and environment overall.

Last edited 2011

MadJack(Posted 2011) [#21]
Next gen effects, nice lighting and environment overall.

I get that effect after six Steinlager stubbies...

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#22]
I get that effect after six Steinlager stubbies...

They must be good sized stubbies in your neck of the woods! Steinlager - sounds a bit german-esque for my liking. Its almost an oxymoron - I thought a stein was 2 pints, to fit that in a stubby it'd have to be quite strong.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#23]

I thought the leadwerks engine was being updated so that it will run on lower systems?

Apparently so, yes. This game just quits to desktop though.