Rosslyn Chapel - The Templar Mystery

Community Forums/Showcase/Rosslyn Chapel - The Templar Mystery

Stu_ovine(Posted 2011) [#1]
A little current WIP we are working. A break from our usual retro inspired goodness.

Based on the real Rosslyn Chapel as a location, use your fathers diary to unlock the secrets of the Knights - possibly find the holy grail ?

We are using a linear storyline driven from an ingame diary (will also be a PDF version for those more adventurous). Solve the riddle of the diary to help progress in your quest.

Last edited 2011

Stu_ovine(Posted 2011) [#2]
A little current WIP we are working. A break from our usual retro inspired goodness.

Based on the real Rosslyn Chapel as a location, use your fathers diary to unlock the secrets of the Knights - possibly find the holy grail ?

We are using a linear storyline driven from an ingame diary (will also be a PDF version for those more adventurous). Solve the riddle of the diary to help progress in your quest.

Last edited 2011

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2011) [#3]
Looking good, Stu! Do you guys have day jobs? I just don't know how you turn so much stuff out.

Stu_ovine(Posted 2011) [#4]
yea unfortunately we have day jobs...........

Im just getting back my time on the computer after the birth of my 2nd child, so motivation is high at the moment - computer withdrawal !

Also converting some other stuff into Monkey - how exciting a language is that !

big10p(Posted 2011) [#5]
Ooh, sounds like my kind of game. Looking forward to this one.

Congrats on the birth, too.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2011) [#6]
Ah congrats on the nipper! Monkey... yes very interesting indeed...

GaryV(Posted 2011) [#7]
Im just getting back my time on the computer after the birth of my 2nd child,
Congratulations!

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#8]
looks good ill try it out asap

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2011) [#9]
Looks great, very nice design. What's that, sunbeams in the air, is that from the one I posted some years ago?

Have you been there in the chapel for the textures? Great theme, make sure not to get sued by Dan Brown(tm)..

I like to search for treasures, almost as much as to actually find them :)

MadJack(Posted 2011) [#10]
OBD

What engine are you using for that?

Stu_ovine(Posted 2011) [#11]
NO the rays are a bit of a cheat - they are animated textures on an entity.

I doint think Dan Brown has any copyright on the Rosslyn Chapel :)

All resource on Rosslyn has been gleemed from the internet with artistic additions here and there. The Angel you see on the title screen is actually on the outside of the Chapel and we have put our own "saying" on the banner.

Its coming along great with the main chapel room almost complete with aroiund 25 puzzles, I cant wait to see what the crypt looks like (I wonder if the holy grail will be in there?!?!?!?)

your guess is as good as mine

Our music guy is making a fantastic original music score to accompany the "experience" He spent a fortune on instrument samples - now hes putting them to good use :)

Playniax(Posted 2011) [#12]
Any chance porting Ultimate Bruce Lee to Monkey?

MadJack(Posted 2011) [#13]
OBD

That's all great - but what engine are you using for this?

Reason I ask is that I've gotten into the habit of using N-hancer to force ambient occlusion in DX9 games and I bet it'd look great in your game.

Stu_ovine(Posted 2011) [#14]
Almost set for release, heres a little teaser trailer :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqmi4j11hWg

btw Its using the Xors3D engine

MCP(Posted 2011) [#15]
Looking great Stu... as always :)

Stu_ovine(Posted 2011) [#16]
thanks - should be a nice little adventure for people. Smila has done wonders on the graphics - quite removed from our usual 2D stuff.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2011) [#17]
I've always thought about creating a casual game like this, well done!

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#18]
Great looking trailer! Are you planning to sell it? If it was 2D it would've been very popular on Big Fish Games due to the theme.

Stu_ovine(Posted 2011) [#19]
No Grey it'll be free :)

Stu_ovine(Posted 2011) [#20]
It's almost time for release :)

In the meantime we have released the ing a,e "diary" you must use to solve the mystery of the rosslyn chapel.

http://baa.ovine.net/diary.pdf

big10p(Posted 2011) [#21]
Wow, judging by the book, this is going to be a real head scratcher to solve. Nice work.

John Blackledge(Posted 2011) [#22]
"I've always thought about creating a casual game like this"

What's casual about it?! (No guns?)
It looks great.

Stu_ovine(Posted 2011) [#23]
Its casual in that you play at your own pace. It autosaves after you complete each of the 50 or so puzzles. Thus you can resume the game from where you left off :)

Oh btw its out, go grab your free copy at http://rosslyn.ovine.net

big10p(Posted 2011) [#24]
Downloaded. Will have a bash later.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#25]
Invalid zip.

[Edit]
Unzipped after 3rd download attempt. Nice. Will have a proper go later.

Last edited 2011

MadJack(Posted 2011) [#26]
Good stuff. The shadows could do with a bit of softening though. Was this done with Xors?

Also, just for giggles, I managed to get ambient occlusion working on my Nvidia G280 using Nvidia Inspector, setting up a custom profile and using Unreal Tournament III for the occlusion type.

MadJack(Posted 2011) [#27]
Just finished the game - very evocative and enjoyable!

(perhaps also needs a puzzle count on-screen somewhere - often I was exiting/resuming just to remind myself which puzzle I was on)

Chalky(Posted 2011) [#28]
Just finished it as well. Superb atmosperic graphics (though on my nVidia GeFore GTS 450 there were some severe jaggies on some of the shadows) - a lot of fun and very enjoyable.

often I was exiting/resuming just to remind myself which puzzle I was on

I too had this problem - as MadJack suggests, an on-screen puzzle indicator would be very useful.

Great stuff.

Gameworx(Posted 2011) [#29]
Really a great game! Anyone solved all puzzles yet? Got stuck at #41 without any idea. :'(

MadJack(Posted 2011) [#30]
Behind the sliding panels, you may have noticed a square marked 'x'.
See if you can find them all.