Chordinator

Community Forums/Showcase/Chordinator

tesuji(Posted 2011) [#1]
An audio application for a change written in Blitzmax. Chordinator was written to help improve my understanding of music theory. Not yet up to version 1.0 but I felt it's probably evolved enough to release and get feedback on.

Download

Windows http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21540395/Chordinator_v0.9b.zip
OSX (x86) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21540395/Chordinator_v0.9b.dmg

Blog Entry http://spungifungi.wordpress.com/

I've only tried it on an intel Mac and Windows XP so far. Would be interested to know if it works on later versions of Windows.

I would like to improve the scale/chord finder a bit and maybe enhance the keyboard graphics a bit.

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

Edit - Updated to version 0.9 - added midi in, enhanced graphics and changed keyboard layout

Last edited 2011

Edit - Updated to version 0.9b - optimized graphics, chords in scale and recent chords

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2012

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#2]
Does it support my midi keyboard?

tesuji(Posted 2011) [#3]
Not yet but I'll add that to the todo list. I'm sure you have a midi module somewhere :)
Only mouse and (non midi) keyboard input at the mo.

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#4]
Not yet but I'll add that to the todo list

Cool :-)
Better to learn this on a real keyboard than my computer keyboard me thinks. Certainly easier to see what's going on if you are banging the real keys!

I'm sure you have a midi module somewhere

I'd imagine so ;-)

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#5]
works fine on win7 64bit for me

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#6]
make a version for the gheetar

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#7]
I really like it, and it will be very handy for learning if you can get MIDI working.

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#8]
Blimey, that looks swish. Do I need to be able to carry a tune in a bucket in order to do anything with/provide feedback on it?

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#9]
Looks very nice! Would you mind telling where you read up on all those scales? Like Enigmatic, Hindu, Oriental; was there a list you consulted, something like that?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2011) [#10]
Dude! You wrote 'Red Led'.... Sweet!

Back on topic; nice application. Very smooth. Must have taken a while to enter all those chords. Are you using any sound output routines other than plain Blitz?

taumel(Posted 2011) [#11]
Looks very nice, i like the interface but i prefer if i can play two octaves on the keyboard instead of just one, oh and x86 OSX.

Last edited 2011

tesuji(Posted 2011) [#12]
@Kryzon Scales were researched from various internet resources with wikipedia being a consistently good source of information. Also http://www.musictheory.net/ which has some rather nice online tools.

@John Galt Thanks. Someone who remembers redled :) No special sound libraries used. Just the basic blitzmax libraries. Had to implement my own ADSR volume control over the top.

@taumel Good point about being able to play two octaves from the keyboard. I'm tempted to change the default layout so qwerty + 23 567 are used for the second octave and then use function keys for the chords. Function keys are a bit fiddly from a laptop though so may add some optional keyboard mappings.

Thanks for the feedback so far. It's been very useful.

Last edited 2011

taumel(Posted 2011) [#13]
Kind of depends on your keyboard you're having but on a Mac (german layout with qwertz) <yxcvbn (as fgh) for the lower and zuiopü+ (78 0ß´) for the higher octave would come in handy, using ^123456 for the chords. The function keys are no option on the Mac.

Last edited 2011

Taron(Posted 2011) [#14]
Fantastic! This is really revelating and beautiful to explore! Great job and thank you!

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#15]
This is outlandishly good. Was playing the first chords from 'lean-on-me' in not time, this app oozes quality.

tesuji(Posted 2011) [#16]
Thanks for all the kind comments.

Making progress with MIDI in using Brucey's RTMidi wrapper which seems pretty straightforward so far.
Here's some test code those with MIDI keyboards can try. Would be interested to know if it behaves alright.

I'll put it in the code archives if it proves useful to anyone.

tesuji(Posted 2011) [#17]
I've released a new version 0.9 (updated original post).

This version includes :

* External MIDI keyboard control - responds to key velocity + program change only. Will look at adding sustain pedal, pitch bend and modulation later.
* Modified keyboard layout - Now keys span 1.5 octaves.
* Enhanced main keyboard graphics - all rendered using max 2d, no external tools used.
* Improved Chord finding - now looks up inversions and reacts to keys held down.

Acknowlegements :

Brucey for his RTMidi module wrapper and the folks who originally created it (ps - not tested midi on windows yet. If it doesn't work, it's their fault ;-)

The Blitz community for their useful suggestions and feedback.

Note that as I don't have any preference management implemented yet, I've elected to go with fiddle free defaults for midi input i.e. no device selection. It scans *all* midi in devices and is hot swappable (can handle devices being added/removed during runtime). Not sure if this will cause problems for people with extensive or complex midi setups.

Next version (1.0) should contain menu driven preference management, enhanced chord player (see and play all chords possible in a single scale), midi enhancements and the ability to create your own instruments.

Enjoy.

tesuji(Posted 2011) [#18]
Another update (original post updated)

This version includes :

* Chord list contains only chords compatible with the selected scale
* Recent chord mini keyboard
* Optimized graphics - lots of drawtext's & drawImageRect alpha layers were slowing things down a tad. Upfront rendering reduced load a lot (text is now rendered with drawimage). Press V to view FPS & toggle vsync

tip : drag mouse across keys on mini chord keyboards.