DreamsSoftGames presents "Tombi Jones"

Community Forums/Showcase/DreamsSoftGames presents "Tombi Jones"

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi, after completing Arkhelom 3D, I'm already working on my new project: "Tompi Jones", an old-skool platformer that will take advantage of the 3 dimensions to create a varied environment of adventures in which we can test our reflexes jumping platforms, climbing walls and ceiling, fighting enemies, dodging traps, collecting items and many more features.

Soon I will show a video with a beta version which you can play the first levels.

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2011) [#2]
Looking good so far. Just be prepared to get sued by ILM / George Lucas when you get too close to the original theme. Not sure if you went to far already with the Font+"Jones". Make sure not to use any original stuff, like sounds. But there are some "Alike" Soundbanks where you could purchase a license for some music that is very alike, but completely legal.

BTW your webpage shows a black empty page when visited with flash off. Not really userfriendly IMHO.

Oiduts Studios(Posted 2011) [#3]
Cool game!

But also I didn't know you had some free 3D models?? http://www.dreamssoftgames.com/freemodels.html

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#4]
Looking good so far. Just be prepared to get sued by ILM / George Lucas when you get too close to the original theme. Not sure if you went to far already with the Font+"Jones"

And the red/yellow gradient, and the hat, and...

(Of course, there's been another game series about 'Alabama Smith", who just happens to be an archeologist as well: http://www.alawar.com/game/alabama-smith-in-escape-from-pompeii/

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2011) [#5]
Thanks for your comments. The game has some details that are reminiscent of Indiana Jones, as the hat or the fonts, but it will be very different from the original games of George Lucas. I hope nobody gets upset, but maybe I will change the fonts or logo colors. I'll think about it. The music, of course, be different from the original movies. Other games have used archaeologists, adventurers, and similar topics to acclimate the game, and I hope this is not a problem for anyone. Also, I think Tompi isn't like Harrison Ford but both have a similar hat.

Oiduts Studios@: Yes, well I have some free 3D models. This Is intended primarily to benefit the entire blitz community to create their games.

jfk@: my website is made with flash and it's required for proper viewing. I find it very difficult to change the design of the web but I will study other options.

Matty(Posted 2011) [#6]
How do you pronounce "Tompi" - is it like "Tomb-P", "Tom-P", "Tomb-Pie" "Tom-Pie"?

Just curious - I've not seen the name "Tompi" before.

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2011) [#7]
Hi Matty. The forum topic title isn't correct. I was wrong and I do not know if it can be corrected.

The game is "Tompi Jones" not Tombi. I pronounce Tompi like spanish language. I suppose this will sound different in English. Tompi's only a funny name (in spanish) to identify the character of the game.

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2011) [#8]

Here the first promotional screenshot of world I: "AZTEC PYRAMID".

It's a world where there will be many traps, enemies, platforms and elevators to reach the end of each phase. Tompi Jones can jump, use his shield, throw weapons, use your sword, climb walls and ceilings and use some items that will enhance their skills.

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#9]
looks good

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#10]
looks great!

SabataRH(Posted 2011) [#11]
Damn George Lucas for copyrighting the "archeologist".. lol

I'd seriously ignore half the remarks made here..

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2011) [#12]
Hi, a little screenshot of the intro sequence of "Tompi Jones".

You can view a Youtube video here!.

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2011) [#13]
Hi, here a video that shows the main menu of the game. The levels are selected through the squares of a board game that has life (vegetation, clouds, birds, climatic effects, ambient sounds,...). All work are in progress.

You can view a Youtube video here!.

Grisu(Posted 2011) [#14]
Looks really nice.

I would change the display of the selected level in the way that the level name is not placed on top of Tompi. Also the GUI color looks kind of "cheap" and distracting to me. - Just some thoughts.

MCP(Posted 2011) [#15]
I like the board game theme. It reminds me of Jumanji. The music is very atmospheric also. Overall it's looking quite nice so far :)

Last edited 2011

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2011) [#16]

Here the first promotional screenshot of world II: "ENCHANTED FOREST".

It's a world where there will be many springboards,traps, enemies, platforms, scalable surfaces and elevators to reach the end of each phase.

@Grisu: thanks for your suggestions. I'm working on the GUI and I will change it.

Foppy(Posted 2011) [#17]
Very nice and colorful! Go Tompi!

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#18]
Loved the board game theme and very atmospheric music.

You say work in progress, so I'll just say the graphics could be given a bit of polish. But looking very promising this!

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2011) [#19]
@Foppy: Thanks for your words of support!

@Steve Elliott: Please tell me what graphics you think I should improve. It is true that I'm still working on all sections of the game. Your reviews will help me a lot, but I'm not a very good designer / graphics modeler.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#20]
Maybe an artist could be brought in for a share of the profits. The game looks solid.

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2011) [#21]
It's here the first video showing the beta gameplay of "Tompi Jones". At the moment it is only the first level of the world I: "Aztec pyramid".

In the future I will show videos of each world of the game: Enchanted Forest (World 2), Arkan's Kingdom (World 3), Jungle Mysterious (World 4),Dark Cemetery (World 5) and The Edom's Fortress (World 6).

You can see the HD Youtube video here!

Grisu(Posted 2011) [#22]
Muy bien. Movement and animation look very smooth.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2011) [#23]
..very cute and nice..I like it very much..

col(Posted 2011) [#24]
Looks excellent.
:-)

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2011) [#25]
@ Steve Elliott: thanks for your advice. It's a good decision. I think about it. By the way, I like to know more about your project: Scorpion Engine. Do you have any information, video or screenshots?

@ Grisu, Naughty Alien, col,....
Thank you very much for your supportive comments about the first level video. I'll soon create new videos of the other 5 game worlds. Also I will update the website with information of "Tompi Jones".

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#26]

By the way, I like to know more about your project: Scorpion Engine. Do you have any information, video or screenshots?

Scorpion Engine is an optimized game engine written in C++/DirectX 9. It's at an early stage, so I'll post screenshots when I've made more progress.

Last edited 2011

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2011) [#27]

Hi, here some screenshots of Arkan's Kingdom (World 3) and Jungle Mysterious (World 4). Springboards,traps, enemies, platforms, scalable surfaces, lianas and elevators to reach the end of each phase.

I added 2 new features for Tompi. Now his hat is a prop that allows you to plan and reach inaccessible places. Also appear the jetpack, that lets you fly on some levels.

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2011) [#28]
Looks great, nice work!

I wouldn't worry about the copyright stuff til you have put out a beta or demo and get some more widespread feedback.

Rico(Posted 2011) [#29]
looks very cool. and you must have put a lot of work into it! i like the 3D trees especially on the 3D menu/hubworld at the start. The graphics remind me a little of Bug on The Sega Saturn and the gameplay reminds me of the 2.5D sections in Crash Bandicoot 1 on Playstation. very nice :)