Arabic Missile Commando

Community Forums/Showcase/Arabic Missile Commando

oddchild(Posted 2011) [#1]
This is a simple game I made that teaches people how to read in Arabic.

http://arabsforchrist.org/learnarabic/arabicletterquiz.html

Scroll down and click download. The flash version was made after the game, but is not nearly as good as the blitzmax version.

Cheers

nrasool(Posted 2011) [#2]
Didn't like it, what was the point of blowing up arabic letters. Your javascript and ezarabic was looking to be good. To be honest there was no reason to make an "educational" game like this portraying on how to learn arabic by blowing letters up

Currently I am studing arabic the old fashion way with a teacher, but this is something I never would use

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#3]
I can't help feeling that this game is going to be more preach than play, so I don't think I'm going to download. I haven't needed people to tell me what to think since I was very young.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#4]
I played about four or five games of this, and I still don't understand any Arabic.

Give me your address so I can sue you.

oddchild(Posted 2011) [#5]
Gabriel > nothing besides the game is included.

Mostly the game, I made for street kids here in Beirut that I teach how to read.

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#6]
I'm with Gabriel on this.

The sole fact that you have a banner for http://www.areyouagoodperson.org/ on your website sickens me.

"Are you good enough to go to HEAVEN?"

What a load of bull.

I'm not going in discussion when it comes to religion, as it's pointless and I don't want to derail this topic. But this all seems to be another "Islam is evil" kind of thing. For what I know of the Islam is that perhaps it's even more respectful to people and their religions than other religions are. Don't mistake me, I'm not talking about these extremist fanatics (which exist on all sides). But more the normal genuine stream of Islam.

I'm probably totally out of line with my post here. Perhaps I've misunderstood the message of your website and game (haven't played it).

nrasool(Posted 2011) [#7]
Hi there

Thanks Htbaa, I did want to say the same thing, especially when coming to the blog, but the golden rules in Blitz is no religion, so thought it would be safe not too. I'm glad that there are people who see Islam as not evil

Anyway on topic, could'nt you have done another way of doing a game that teaches arabic. Eg a match 3 type game with Arabesque music. I just find this tasteless. It may be because I'm muslim, but it not sitting right.

I hope you try another project which has a bit more positive message, why not do something that shows off the beauty of what you believe in.

Kind Regards

oddchild(Posted 2011) [#8]
nrasool,

You get upset because of the Christian nature of the website, is that because it is not Muslim? Look around online, any learning arabic site will teach you arabic only from the quran.
Lebanon is 30% Christian and Egypt is 10% Christian. . . (Not including Christians from Muslim background)

I thought about having the letters in a traditional flashcard format, but the target audience are kids that I teach here.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#9]
Please consider praise/constructive criticism of the game on offer and its stated purpose, to teach a language; please refrain from religious or political arguments as per the forum rules -- and that's not directed at anyone in particular.

nrasool(Posted 2011) [#10]
oddchild,

I'm def not upset because it is a christian website. it just seems that some of your blogs seem to focus on just Islam which to me looks to be attacks on it. The game you wrote, seems to be attack on arabic language, which in turn (maybe I'm being too sensitive but it is an attack on Islam)

Anyway I digress, it up to you what you want to promote, you are free to write any game you want, but wouldn't it be better to first promote your religion in a beautiful way or choose anyway of teaching arabic without resorting to blowing up letters?

Peace

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#11]
without resorting to blowing up letters?

Heres an idea a game that blows up balloons instead ;) Sorry, couldn't resist.

oddchild(Posted 2011) [#12]
I was not meaning it as an attack on the letters. I got the idea from a 9 year old from here. I was trying to find a way to make the game a game. Rather than simply flash cards which most children do not find fun. I actually have not had anyone from here (middle east) that I have spoken to say it was offensive (the game itself).

Actually if you play tux typing, you will find a similar game with english letters.

oddchild(Posted 2011) [#13]
What ways could the game be made more fun? Did sound work on your computer? Were the letters clear and easy to understand?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#14]
The whole concept doesn't sound too bad to me, surely it beats blowing up bodies in the numerous online shooters you can buy these days, and you could make a stong argument that it is a damn sight more educational than blowing up the old humans.

Haven't played the game, but anything that is at least going down the educational route - you cant fault that really?

I speak from the point of view that the only 'game' I've finished, and had sanctioned by BECTA (now defunct - but isn't everything in britain these days) was a spelling game that included all 600 words from Key stage 1 & 2.

Last edited 2011

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2011) [#15]
Funny thread. Here in the supermarket we got those Letter Soups. Seriously, I never felt attacked when people used to eat the letters. Yeah, the golden rule. No politics and no religion.

Let the man teach them arabic I'd say, if they like it this way. It doesn't make much sense to try to undo the problems of religions - a little late. So let's focus the positive things. Like a free learing software. I'd really like to learn arabic, or other scripts too. Maybe not by blowing up Letters, but hey, I see there's an approach.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#16]
Seriously, I never felt attacked when people used to eat the letters.
Heh heh ;)

Learning is always good....

oddchild(Posted 2011) [#17]
Most other methods are out there. They seem just to be like a quiz. You hear an announcer and you click on one out of the 28 letters. This one gets more hard and they start to come down faster.

Would it be better if I had the "letter guide" html page removed and simply built into the code as a different window or is okay as is? I just copied and pasted existing html code that I had used somewhere else.