Sprite Pack now available - free for use in games

Community Forums/Showcase/Sprite Pack now available - free for use in games

Matty(Posted 2011) [#1]
Good Day to you all,

I'm happy to present to you this set of sprites on my web page. Note that you will need to download the exporter (a blitzplus program which converts the images from my own format into a more readily useable set of bitmaps (mask colour can be specified) or tga images (with alpha channel)

More details are on the webpage.

Free Sprites

I'm wondering if this should go in the 'toolbox' section? Or if there is some other media repository / set of links.

Hope you get much enjoyment out of these. Use them as you wish, It would be good to see them used in a game of some sort.

I will endeavour to add additional sprites to the pack over time, at this stage aiming for 1 additional character/monster each fortnight.

If you have any problems please post your comments here.

From Matt

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

Matty(Posted 2011) [#2]
Updated Version 1.01 -

Supports higher quality px5 images with alpha,

Added a new creature (the lightning wielding warrioress)

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2011) [#3]
Wow, that's really great work. Thanks for sharing. Somebody could make a very decent fantasy game with them. I am more the FPS writer, but the qualtiy of your sprites is amazing!

Last edited 2011

Matty(Posted 2011) [#4]
Good Afternoon, another update - another sprite - an armoured skeleton warrior, and also an update to the exporter - fixed a bug with 16 bit sprite export to bitmap (tga worked fine, bmp 1 frame out)

Oh...and I'm going to have to find some new webspace - I've only got 50MB and it's pretty much used up!

therevills(Posted 2011) [#5]
Any chance that your px5 exporter can export to a transparent png? (ie set the 255,0,255 to alpha)

Matty(Posted 2011) [#6]
Hi therevills - It can export to a transparent tga (with alpha), but I've not coded a png exporter before. Will look into it.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#7]

Any chance that your px5 exporter can export to a transparent png? (ie set the 255,0,255 to alpha)

Can't you just paste it on top of a blank alpha sprite in photoshop or similar, select that pink background colour and use cut so the alpha background is revealed? Then save as png.

Last edited 2011

therevills(Posted 2011) [#8]
Will look into it

Cool - Ta!

Can't you just paste it on top of a blank alpha sprite in photoshop or similar, select that pink background colour and use cut so the alpha background is revealed? Then save as png.

Well yeah... but thats work :P

Also Matty's exporter outputs all the frames in individual images, with the Skeleton Archer thats 350 images!

Oh BTW, when I quit I get the message "Wrong thread!"...

Last edited 2011

stayne(Posted 2011) [#9]
This is awesome, but the single image thing. Eeep.

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#10]
i like the single image thing cos it lets me edit out some frames of animation that i dont need,

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#11]
Can you re-post the other images with the same quality as those last two?

I don't even care for PNG, I can convert it here - but the alpha on the TGA files, with images with high res colors are much, much better than the initial ones, which appears to have a 'black outline' on them...

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#12]
the armored skeleton warrior is awesome thanks

Andy_A(Posted 2011) [#13]
Thanks for the great sprites Matty!

Panno(Posted 2011) [#14]
thx again matty

Matty(Posted 2011) [#15]
One more, and maybe the last for a short while..

Found here: http://mattys-stuff.t15.org/

therevills - regarding 'wrong thread' - not sure what I can do with that - I think it was a known issue with blitzplus a while ago..

Also - can't you convert from tga to png - the tga has alpha?

Sorry SLotman - unable to redo all those images at high res, at least not in the short term..

Hope you find these useful..

Last edited 2011

Matty(Posted 2011) [#16]
@SLotman - have uploaded higher quality versions to website - should be easy to see which of these they are:

Found here: http://mattys-stuff.t15.org/

Matty(Posted 2011) [#17]
A few new ones...

All available from same place (see top post)

And rerendered another:

From Matt

Matty(Posted 2011) [#18]
Here's one more..

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#19]
luvly jubbly

you could be as famous as reiner's tilesets with these anims you are spoiling us with

Last edited 2011

GaryV(Posted 2011) [#20]
Link for this one is dead:

Download Big Bad Warlock (req v1.01a)

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#21]
It's not - just change the 'case' on the link to: http://mattys-stuff.t15.org/NecrofiendA.zip and it works :)

@Matty: Man, this is awesome!

GaryV(Posted 2011) [#22]
Gotcha, ty SLotman and more importantly, thank you Matty.

alain(Posted 2011) [#23]
Very nice work!!

Are the 3D model low poly? with which modeler did you create it?

Matty(Posted 2011) [#24]
Thanks all,

alain - the files I've uploaded are just sprites/images - but the original models are very high poly 3d models (tens of thousands of polygons each) and were created either in Poser (version 4) or Softimage:XSI and then rendered in either of these two.

(EDIT I've fixed the link for the Big Bad Warlock..should work correctly now).

Last edited 2011

Matty(Posted 2011) [#25]
Hi all,

If you find any zips that don't work please let me know, I came across one this morning - I hope I don't have to reupload many of them.

The "Big Bad Warlock" not only had a broken link but had a corrupted zip file, I replaced it with the 8bit one for now..

danjo(Posted 2011) [#26]
the demon or fiend is a corrupt zip :/
vampiress and snake girl 404's

good work matt.

Matty(Posted 2011) [#27]
Hi danjo - I think I've fixed the demon & the fiend..not sure why they were corrupt..

The vampiress and snake girl have been deliberately removed for the moment...not sure if I'll reupload them, just felt a little uncomfortable with the sprites.