Leadwerks Engine 3 shader editor

Community Forums/Showcase/Leadwerks Engine 3 shader editor

JoshK(Posted 2011) [#1]
This is a WIP of the built-in shader editor that pops up when you double-click a shader in the asset browser:

Another interface shot, 100% MaxGUI:

More information here:
http://leadwerks.com/werkspace/index.php?/blog/1-joshs-blog/

Last edited 2011

wmaass(Posted 2011) [#2]
Looks good Josh. One of these days I will get back to using the engine.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2011) [#3]
From a tech point of view it's a shame it gets so few attention.

JoshK(Posted 2011) [#4]
Good programming support is important, but so is good support and learning materials for non-programmers. I think my plans for LE3 are pretty well poised to give the market what it wants. You'll see. :)

taumel(Posted 2011) [#5]
So what kind of shader editor is this?

Is it based on a graphical editor or a texeditor with some properties beeing exposed in certain textareas?

I found playing around with Unity's graphical shader editor (Strumpy) a two sided sword. a) After you got the idea, it was rather easy to setup shaders. b) I was confused by the code it generates and using it for basic stuff wasn't worth it. c) You can learn a lot from playing around with it.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2011) [#6]
You'll see. :)

I never said good work doesn't deserve to be paid well. I do miss some reference games on the LE3 page tho.

Last edited 2011

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2011) [#7]
Isn't this just a fancy text editor?

JoshK(Posted 2011) [#8]
Isn't this just a fancy text editor?

The fanciest. It allows an much easier way to write shader code. Not everyone is into writing shader code, and there are other options for them, but for shader programmers it's awesome.

So what kind of shader editor is this?

Is it based on a graphical editor or a texeditor with some properties beeing exposed in certain textareas?

What I have found is a visual node-based material designer is too much for most materials. We're using a simpler material editor which is an efficient way to make materials, and in addition to that we have a "Material Designer" planned, which is sort of like the material/shader designer in Unreal Engine.

Last edited 2011

taumel(Posted 2011) [#9]
Ultimately there would be an editor which allows no shader experts to use, understand and write shaders on their on by very good tutorials and an easy to use tool/editor, however you want to call it.

In its current form Unity's new shader abstraction enhances things primary for those who understand shaders already. The rest can use the third party node based shader editor but without good tutorials you won't come this far as well because you still need to think shader related.

I haven't used a tool for realtime engines which bridges these gaps in a convincing way yet.

Last edited 2011

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#10]
Don't you just love it when Unity people hijack a thread.

taumel(Posted 2011) [#11]
Actually this is more about the experienced gathered with certain approaches but yes in a limited way you can also see it in such a way.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#12]
Leadwerks GUI design is something to behold, I am grappling with something whereby I need to geolocate 2d textures with 3D space - his UI design alone is great - & thats not taking into consideration all the functionality within the main product.

JoshK(Posted 2011) [#13]
You can get my code area gadget source code here:
http://blitzmax.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=2816

Here's another shot of me testing a shader: