Candy World IV is ready for launch

Community Forums/Showcase/Candy World IV is ready for launch

Xilvan(Posted 2011) [#1]
Dear Blitzeans,

Recently, Candy World IV : The Lillians Planet v1.17 was published on CNET Download, GameFront.com and my on my page. I'm waiting for people to download and play my latest creation, who tooks only 4 months to develop.

It contains lots of new worlds and challenges, ennemies are more present in the game and it gives a thrill never seen before in my games. Those challenge are Bones and Crescents collecting, other missions should be ennemies bashing.

49 levels are available in this title, since we added 8 levels in Candy World IV Lite. All 35 levels of Candy World I & II are there in the demo, 6 of Candy World III's levels are there too. 63 levels are in the payable version.

Here is some images and demos of this game:

The next game of the serie, Candy World V : The Rescue, is still in brainstorming, I've lots of ideas about making a rescues of many character of the game. The story will be posted on this forum when done.

Next version of this game will have 7 Silver Bones gathering to get one Golden Bones, Keg breaking to save Lillians and friends.

Visit my page to download the demo !

Have good games,

Alex, CEO of Xilvan Design

Last edited 2011

MCP(Posted 2011) [#2]
Congratulations on releasing your latest game.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2011) [#3]
might be a good time to get it on the new Mac App store. Providing you have a MAC or hackintosh.

andy_mc(Posted 2011) [#4]
Not goin gto happen as it's written in Blitz3D, so no mac version. Might be able to convert it across to use blitzmax with a b3d engine.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2011) [#5]
Agree. Needs converting to max. This would open up a much larger audience, maybe even a partnership with Apple.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#6]
This looks identical to every other Candy World/<This> of <That> game you've ever released.

There must come a time when you do something different. Please let it be soon.

JoshK(Posted 2011) [#7]
I think it's awesome.

Chugs40(Posted 2011) [#8]
Congrats! :)

Matty(Posted 2011) [#9]
@GfK - it's only been 4 years since the first (below link) - iD's been revamping Doom every so often for the past 20 years...maybe Xylvan should re-release it in Leadwerks engine with the stability of Blitz3d becoming endangered...

http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=65147#727121

Xilvan(Posted 2011) [#10]
Today, I'll add a keyboard configuration control.

Each key will be easy to choose.

On its side Candy World V : The Rescue will be in development soon, here is some piece of scenario coming with the game:

Candy is searching her friends, they have been kidnapped by the ghost of Doctor Picpic. The younger brother of Noopy, Choopy, must save them in order to prepare the mariage of Queen of Spades.

Last edited 2011

Drak(Posted 2011) [#11]
I don't know if it's just me, but I'm very confused. Is this a new game or a remake of an earlier game? To me the screenshots appear to be the same or at least similar to the other games.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2011) [#12]
Xylvan is known for repeatedly reposting his games when very little has changed from the last version. It amounts to spam, IMO.

He was asked to contact the administrators before creating new showcases as a result of this, but I'm sure he doesn't bother and I guess they turn a blind eye to it now.

Xilvan(Posted 2011) [#13]
In order to not break the forum rules, I decided to talk about Candy World Adventure III : Mirages of Lillians right here.

Stange clouds are appearing in Candy World and Edona.

Candy and her friend Noopy must find the source of those illusions. Help them find it by resolving 16 new worlds full of challenges.

4 new levels are available now !

Lets try them to see if its better.

-Download Candy World Adventure III here-

Last edited 2011

MadJack(Posted 2011) [#14]
Right. Downloaded and gave it a whirl.

First of all, unless I missed something, there didn't seem to be an english translation available in the game and as I don't read french, I had no idea what I was supposed to do.

So I ran about for a bit and started collecting bones. This was moderately entertaining but also distressing in that I seemed to be being followed by another dog who, when I collected a bone, was in the habit of running up and viciously biting my dog's rear end. I wondered if this was in fact a 'dogfight' until I realised that my own dog didn't need to run over a bone - instead my doggy companion would do this for me. Dog wingman.

Day and night cycles are ridiculously quick. Night doesn't bother with such niceties as 'evening'. Instead it's straight to 'night' or 'day' with no transition.

The game includes grass but this is near transparent. I wasn't aware of it until I looked a bit harder and thought 'oh yeah, that's grass'.

My dog can walk on water.

I don't believe that when a dog wags his tail his entire rear half slides from side to side. Suggest the author bone up on character animation a bit more.

Hitting escape from within the game dropped me back to the desktop rather than the main menu.

At one point I entered some sort of house. Clipping was a real problem here. There was a stair to a second level but for some reason the only collectable item (a key) was on the first level. So after climbing the stairs, I was not rewarded for my effort.

Some basic lightmapping or vertex shading would likely improve the visuals immensely.

Controls were ok. Good that a super speed could be achieved with the shift key.

Xilvan(Posted 2011) [#15]
I've made some adjustments in my games Candy World IV : The Lillians Planet. I tried to make some new Silver Bones and Kegs, but I decided to report it to Candy World V.

The new demo of Candy World Adventure III : Mirages of Lillians and have 4 new Levels.

MadJack(Posted 2011) [#16]
Xylvan

ok - but what about my observations in my post above?
For example, the abrupt day/night cycle and lack of english instructions?

Xilvan(Posted 2011) [#17]
Use the setup program to change the language.

I tryed changing the day/night cycle to become longer.

In next version, the grass is less transparent.

I'll have to think about the wagging tail animation to become more realistic

Maybe it would be a good idea to hit escape for menu then.

I'll think later about learning how to make shadow and lightening.

Thanks for reviewing !

MadJack(Posted 2011) [#18]
Xylvan

I didn't notice an english option in the setup but if I get the time I'll reinstall.

Regards the day/night - it's not so much the length of the cycle but the abrupt change from one state to the other.

A simple solution might be to have two background spheres - one texture mapped with the night sky, the second (smaller) sphere textured with a daylight sky image. As night approaches, make the daylight sky sphere more and more transparent so that more and more of the night sky shows through. Also gradually change your ambient light color.

Xilvan(Posted 2011) [#19]
I mainly use two background sphere of 8th resolution. I just have to adjust the amplitud of the fade in order to create a smooth transition between the background spheres.

MadJack(Posted 2011) [#20]
create a smooth transition between the background spheres

I think it would do wonders for your game's 'sense of place'. Note that you may also have to adjust your lighting gradually if that's altered at all by the day/night cycles.

Again, really do recommend looking into some basic lightmapping. Suggest you grab Giles and check out its global illumination options. This can make objects appear less flat than simple lighting you currently employ.
http://www.frecle.net/index.php?show=&section=giles&sub=download
(try the legacy download)

Some of your meshes are very high in polys (some of the hearts?). Doesn't affect my rig too much, but people on older laptops may have issues.

Finally, many people are moving to widescreen. Playing in 1024x768 doesn't cut it at this point.

Last edited 2011

Xilvan(Posted 2011) [#21]
The newer version of Candy World IV 1.27th have at last a better day/night transition. I changed many objects color according to the moment of the day. The water, the sky and terrain are perfectly fiting with the lightning.

Days are the same lenght, cause it was just the transition to change.

I also added some Silver Bones, there will be up to 7 to grab in each worlds. Certain are simple to catch, but some are on top of the trees and portals. I also adjusted the Candy's house for maximum look.

As we advance in the making of the game, we find new ideas, and thanks to the help of the blitz team, everything is possible.