Zombie Trailer Park

Community Forums/Showcase/Zombie Trailer Park

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#1]

Make money, make more money, kill zombies...

http://ninjakiwi.com/Games/Strategy/Play/Zombie-Trailer-Park.html

Big ups to BRL for the monkey beta, it is a superb tool kit. A free iDevice version is also now available maybe not so stable / tested

http://itunes.apple.com/app/zombie-trailer-park/id398941864?mt=8

Last edited 2011

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#2]
So, is the flash-version created through Monkey?

Nice one.

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#3]
Awesome! Hey didn't you right a op wolf mouse based zombie shooter thing on the Amiga back in the day?

So after you wrote it in monkey how easy was it to get it running in Flash and iDevice form? Like easy/medium or fiddly-ass? (I have Flex, and XCode/iOS SDK) Thx for any insights.

I'm even more stoked about monkey now!

Last edited 2011

therevills(Posted 2011) [#4]
Very cool game skid! Nice take on L4D! :D

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#5]
Oh and lamely I died on the first level and so personally think it could do with an easier first level that gave me a sense of accomplishment when I finished it to encourage me to play more (classic casual game tactic).

degac(Posted 2011) [#6]
Ooohh!
Great!
I've tested on my Acer AspireOne on LinuxMint (7) the game and it runs flawlessy! Sometimes when I open page with flash-ad content the computer 'grey-out'... so I think the monkey magic tail has done a good job!
An about Android? please,please,please,please I've an OptimusOne and I want to test the 'monkey power' on it!

Pengwin(Posted 2011) [#7]
Great game...had to play it till I finished it. Too me a while :-)

Like other people in this thread, I'm also curious about the development with Monkey. So if you could share your experiences, I, and probably we, would be very grateful.

SoggyP(Posted 2011) [#8]
Hello.

Marvellous!

Goodbye.

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#9]
im impressed, it seems like a good flash game, and it has a good level of complexity

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2011) [#10]
I need some *monkey*

GfK(Posted 2011) [#11]
That's surprisingly awesome!

One prob tho - I finished the first level and up popped a screen with "post score", "ok" and some spacebook/myface/twittler options, but none of them were clickable.

But I'm still going to have another go. :)

[edit] Oh, they work now!

Last edited 2011

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#12]
I have never wanted a monkey more than I do now...

well, except for the ninja spider monkey that I've been asking for each christmas for years.

Angus(Posted 2011) [#13]
Great. Want monkey.

Played the first level and really took my time, lovely to watch my little guys going for it.

Grisu(Posted 2011) [#14]
Love it! :D

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#15]
That was fun :-P. Played fine under Linux as well. Job well done.

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#16]
Best I can manage so far for level 1 is 4:15, how the heck did people manage 3 minutes??

*edit*
4:11.5

Last edited 2011

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2011) [#17]
04:49 for me - gonna throw the iPad out the window in a moment!!

jkrankie(Posted 2011) [#18]
bah, doesn't seem to load for me. I'll try another time i guess.

Cheers
Charlie

Stevie G(Posted 2011) [#19]
F*ck me! I tried that last level about a million times and still no joy ... great little timewaster though!!

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#20]
The preacher turns zombies back on themselves which makes last level doable. I found turning the speed down to standard after first couple of minutes also helps.

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#21]
I tried that last level about a million times and still no joy

I finally managed it, 8 mins and 36 seconds and a flashing base health indicator but at least I got there

(didn't manage to get nearly enough resources at once for preachers).

Last edited 2011

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2011) [#22]
I want to SPANK THE MONKEY

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#23]
I couldn't even get past the first level, but really enjoyed the game mechanic regardless.

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#24]
First time playing: fail
Second time playing: saw the "Build more Salvage Yards" info and managed to win.

It's very important. I think you should add a baloon with an arrow pointing or something while in-game, like at the first 5 seconds of the first level, warning the person to build more Salvage Yards because they are what make you win every round, in these types of onslaught games.

Chugs40(Posted 2011) [#25]
Very cool! Did bad my first game... then built the salvage yards for more income and it was on! Gotta love smack'n zombies with shovels!

Must find this 'MONKEY' ...

Naughty Alien(Posted 2011) [#26]
..i thought this is not a monkey, but Mojo plug for monkey in action ?

Panno(Posted 2011) [#27]
play it ,like it !

so this is written in monkey (beta) ?
also the idevice version ?
the iphone version isnt working on iphone (G1)3.1.2

Last edited 2011

GfK(Posted 2011) [#28]
Those guys on the high score table have got to have cheated.

I reckon its impossible to do level 1 in the three minutes some are claiming. My best is still [edit ] 4:18 Make that 4:38.

Last edited 2011

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#29]
Very cool! Can't wait to do some monkey business :)

Polan(Posted 2011) [#30]
:O
I played it some time ago but had no idea it was done with monkey. Amazing.

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2011) [#31]
A lovely game!

My score currently:

Stage 1: 4:05.8
Stage 2: 4:28.2
Stage 3: 5:14.5
Stage 4: 5:43.9

I like that last stage.

Last edited 2011

TaskMaster(Posted 2011) [#32]
I haven't beaten stage 3 yet. It is strangely addicting.

Last edited 2011

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#33]
Fun game with great gameplay :)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#34]
Okay, monkey is now officially my No.1 want now. Very impressive looking game... Fantastic showcase for monkey.

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#35]
the iphone version isnt working on iphone (G1)3.1.2

Which begs an interesting question. What's the minimum iOS version that Monkey support? 3.1.2 ought to be viable with the current SDK so is this just a personal choice?

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#36]
Doesn't run on my iPhone 3GS either. Installs, but quits after the Ninja Kiwi logo.

Last edited 2011

Bossti(Posted 2011) [#37]
Nicely done!

Arabia(Posted 2011) [#38]
Just played first level, awesome game :)

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#39]
Has anyone seen an iAd while playing the iPhone/iPad version? I'm yet to see one in the wild.

I will look into 3GS issues.

Last edited 2011

_Skully(Posted 2011) [#40]
Sorry skidracer, you appear to have mis-posted. this is a Blitz showcase ;) LOL jk

Can I ask, its free to play, are you able to make any $ off of it?

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#41]
The ninjakiwi.com website has enough traffic to keep over a dozen people happily employed, one of them being me.

Although 3+ million plays of the ZTP flash version to date is good, it's small fry compared to the big titles Bloons and BTD4, their numbers are staggering.

Last edited 2011

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#42]
How can people pay bills with flash games? only through side-adverts and the ones on the games?

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#43]
Flash web industry is a little difficult to comprehend, if you do a bit of research you may find it quite easy to find someone to sponsor your stuff and pay your bills:

http://www.mochigames.com/developers/

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#44]
Also I know a guy who made a a good 5 figure sum from this: http://www.flashgamelicense.com/

EOF(Posted 2011) [#45]
How about an Android version? One customer waiting

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#46]
Thanks for the info Skid.

TaskMaster(Posted 2011) [#47]
Yes, I want an Android version, too.

Jason W.(Posted 2011) [#48]
My work pc does not have flash, so I was about to play on my Samsung Vibrant (Galaxy S phone).

Since there is not android version and I can play this via android flash, is there a way to do allow a fullscreen view (480 x 800) and be touch playable?

Nice looking game :)

Jason

Ked(Posted 2011) [#49]
Awesome! But I don't understand how monkey was involved with this because Polan said that he played it a while ago. Has monkey been in development longer than was said?

Played the flash version and the iDevice version. It ran a lot smoother on my iPod touch (4G). I'm going to have to get a Mac now... No questions asked.

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#50]
Has monkey been in development longer than was said?

Monkey has been in development since at least May last year (probably a lot earlier than that).

So it's entirely possible.

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#51]
I got the monkey beta at the end of October which was stable as. The Zombies hit newgrounds December 5.

Last edited 2011

Oddball(Posted 2011) [#52]
And we all know that one month on the internet is the equivalent to a lifetime in the real world.

Arabia(Posted 2011) [#53]
I can't get passed level 4 GRRRRRR

therevills(Posted 2011) [#54]
I can't get passed level 3 GRRRRRR x 2 - LOL

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2011) [#55]
I'm getting a lock-up about every 2nd or 3rd game with Firefox on Snow Leopard. Anyone else seeing this?

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#56]
do other flash games crash?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2011) [#57]
Not that I have ever noticed. I play them rarely.

Arabia(Posted 2011) [#58]
I've been playing with Google Chrome. Not one error or crash.

Finally finished the 4th level :D

This really is a very addictive little game, again, well done Skidracer.

When is version 2 coming out? Great fun.

Must find my charging cable for the iPod touch and I'll give it a go on that too :)

Those guys on the high score table have got to have cheated.

I reckon its impossible to do level 1 in the three minutes some are claiming. My best is still [edit ] 4:18 Make that 4:38.

Best time for level 4 is 1min 1sec <---- obviously didn't cheat well enough. I think the record on one of the levels is 0 seconds :D

Last edited 2011

Gladclef - Ben B(Posted 2011) [#59]
My best is 4 min 4 sec on first level. :p
I think I'm done.
Very good. Very addicting. Exactly what I needed before going to sleep.

EOF(Posted 2011) [#60]
BUG?
Right-Clicking causes the Flash menu to remain stuck on the screen. It takes a bit of fiddling around with LMB to get the menu to disappear

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#61]
that happens to me with a lot of flash stuff,

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2011) [#62]
No what I'm seeing is a complete lockup of Firefox, with no menu visible.

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#63]
BUG?
Right-Clicking causes the Flash menu to remain stuck on the screen. It takes a bit of fiddling around with LMB to get the menu to disappear

This is common of all Flash applications, they all make a client menu appear when you right-click them - even adverts do that.

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#64]
the issue is that the client menu wont go away, this happens to me with most flash stuff, i think its the resource intensive stuff.

MGE(Posted 2011) [#65]
Plays extremely slow on my usual dev kit which runs other flash games just fine. I'm a little concerned because of the sluggish speed with such small sprites. I couldn't even play for long it was so slow. Loaded the page several times, played in IE8 and Chrome, same thing. But still... monkey is alive and well which is a very good thing!

TaskMaster(Posted 2011) [#66]
It plays fine on my lame ass work PC, don't know what problem you are having MGE, but have no fear, it is not the fault of the app.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#67]
Whats your usual dev kit MGE? (Hardware/Software/OS?)

MGE(Posted 2011) [#68]
Windows XP Home, Intel Celeron 2.93ghz, 1gb of ram, intel on board gpu. About 6.5 years old now. I'm very knowledgeable when it comes to Flash coding. Flash is Flash, the game is either going to run well or not. The fact that the game even runs at all is very impressive. I'm sure things will get optimized in later releases. If it runs slow on 6 year old hardware, so be it. Looking at the big picture it's not that big of a deal where even low end laptops have better features than my 6 year old pc. ;) lol..

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#69]
Do you have Flash Debug installed? It kills most flash games for me.

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#70]
my PC is about the same as MGE's and the game runs ok unless there are 30 or so zombies on the screen

dmaz(Posted 2011) [#71]
been playing the iPad version. smooth as silk no matter what's on screen. not one iAd though.

Angus(Posted 2011) [#72]
Is addictive. I've come back to it a few times and still can't beat level 4. Good fun.

Wouldn't say it ran very fast on my eeePC, but it's easily playable.

Blackway(Posted 2011) [#73]
Works great on my Ipod touch 3G, IOS 4.1 !!
No iAd here...
Bye!

Hotshot2005(Posted 2011) [#74]
I cant even get passed level 2 and it is hard!
Could anyone give me tip on how get passed level 2?

therevills(Posted 2011) [#75]
Im not very good at it... but are you building Salvage Yards early? Also I found that with Shovel Men, its best to spam them rather than have one or two walking by themselves...

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#76]
Could anyone give me tip on how get passed level 2?

- Try to get additional salvage yards as fast as you can, or you'll run out of money early on.
- When creating new fighters, I find it often pays to wait a while and then create a bunch all at once -- that way they progress in a tight group, and have much better luck killing incoming zombies together
- Make sure to use your 'yee-haw' specials when they are available
- After maxing out your salvage yards and trailers, try to save up some money for the other shacks, which allow you to build stronger units like the angry farmers, which kill from a distance and thereby can kill more zombies before they get killed themselves.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2011) [#77]
but are you building Salvage Yards early?

Yes I did that but Level 2 is still hard because of those BIG MONSTER that come at me

I had Big Tractor which kill them all but they still keep coming back and this time...it had two Big Monster and all my Gangs with Spare had no chance!

I just keep trying and maybe I get 2 TRACTORS to kill them for once and all LOL

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#78]
dont worry about trailers til later,
go for the more powerful units, after building a bunch of salvage yards.

The slow-down for some people could be all those buildings on-screen with all the zombies, (I think all the player's buildings are separate images)

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#79]
I just keep trying and maybe I get 2 TRACTORS to kill them for once and all LOL

There's a cool-down wait, so that won't work -- but a tractor followed by an angry mob do work.

Another option is to have the farmhouse, and build a whole bunch of angry farmers, who can shoot incoming zombies from a distance.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2011) [#80]
Some joker has done level 1 in 17.58seconds!!

LarsG(Posted 2011) [#81]
I just checked this out.. awesome, Skidracer.. :)

okee(Posted 2011) [#82]
Some of the highscores are mental, surely level 1 can't be done in
1.13 never mind 29.58 seconds

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#83]
is there a way of encrypting the score upload system?

Maybe wipe the scoreboard and start again (with encryption)?

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#84]
The score upload is encrypted and the time keeping is heavily obfuscated, the problem is there are very advanced tools for people wanting to inject code and tamper with Flash variables in realtime including say, the basic shovel guy's health, speed and damage settings.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#85]
Hey Skid... have you made the game easier? I'm asking because I've just got passed level 3 (7:51) and straight away got past level 4 (6:03)...

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#86]
oh ok , cant beat the hackers I suppose, skid,
Or the time needed to beat the hackers wouldnt be worth it in the end

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#87]
Anyone having problems running on iPhones, version 1.1 is now up on app store.

Besides being more reliable on older devices with less RAM, we have switched from iAd to AdMob for the in game banner ad. I would be surprised if iAd survives this year as Apple seems to have failed to attract necessary quantity of advertisers to date.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#88]
Working fine now :)

Grisu(Posted 2011) [#89]
Does this also work with IPods?

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#90]
Yes, although it's only been tested on iPod touch second generation.

taumel(Posted 2011) [#91]
Works on the iPad as well. Nice game, Level 4 is hard.

Why is the game so large (MB)?

Is this due to monkey or asset data in your game?

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#92]
I went a little overboard with the asset data.

okee(Posted 2011) [#93]
Runs no problem on my 1st Gen Ipod Touch, Crashed on first run but once i restarted the ipod it ran fine thereafter.

taumel(Posted 2011) [#94]
Btw i've seen iAds on the iPad but they didn't show up all the time whilst an internet connection was available.

After playing it for another time:

I really like he music, the sfx, the soft animations, the colouring (beside of the sky), the grumpy farmer vs. zombie scenario and the ninjakiwi logo. The game is fun to play for a certain amount of time, coming from level 3, level 4 is too hard. The game lacks in more interesting levels, more configured waves so that you also need to use different characters to solve those situations. For a more long time motivation it lacks balancing and level design. But maybe this wasn't the intention at all.

Can you use OGG/MP3 with monkey on iOS?

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

Matty(Posted 2011) [#95]
I enjoyed it and played it a few times...

First time I played it I didn't realise I needed to destroy the zombie's 'base' - didn't even see the health bars at the bottom and thought the object was to *survive* as long as possible!! - thinking I did well with a time of over 7 minutes on the first level!

daaan(Posted 2011) [#96]
Can I try a PC/Mac version?

SpaceAce(Posted 2011) [#97]
This is EXACTLY the kind of game that keeps me from being a productive member of society.

I've got stage one down to 3:55.0, and I really don't see how I can shave off another 10+ seconds.

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

Panno(Posted 2011) [#98]
now the iphone/ipod version works ok, some ltlle gfx gugs but really good playable, 5 stars

Panno(Posted 2011) [#99]
@taumel iam 100% shure u can use the caf soundfile format for ios

Last edited 2011

Doc Holliday(Posted 2011) [#100]
What a time-stealing-game ;-)

But it makes a lot of fun and keeps me away from my own code :-)

Neuro(Posted 2011) [#101]
Holy crap that was fun :)!!

semar(Posted 2011) [#102]
I have a question, the high-score table that shows from the high-score menu button, was also coded with Monkey ?

Regards,
Sergio.

Last edited 2011

Taron(Posted 2011) [#103]
Awesome lil' game, love it! Great job and fun style. :o)
THANKS!