Just submitted Holiday Bonus to XLBIG for review

Archives Forums/General Discussion/Just submitted Holiday Bonus to XLBIG for review

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#1]
*oops mods, I meant this to be in General, not Showcase, sorry about that. Please move if possible. Thanks in advance!

If you have XNA CC membership, please help me peer review it: http://bit.ly/g4GO4b

Thanks in advance! Really need to get this passed by Christmas :-)

James Mintram (Mintratech) did an awesome job of the programming. He had a match-3 engine that he converted to use all the Holiday Bonus stuff, he has worked tirelessly for a couple of weeks to get it ready.

We are excited to see how well it does.

Last edited 2010

Last edited 2010

GfK(Posted 2010) [#2]
Ah so that's what he's been up to!

QuickSilva(Posted 2010) [#3]
This will be a good one to watch. If it does get the go ahead please do let us know how it performs.

Good luck with it.

Jason.

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#4]
It may not because it's a match-3 on a platform without many casual games. But if it comes out in time, it looks pretty good compared to a lot of other games on the channel, so hopefully will do OK. We'll see.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#5]
Had a butcher's at the CCNA account, 99 USD does not seem too bad. All the best with this venture Grey.

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#6]
Thanks. Yep the $99 is only if you want to get it on the XBOX, you can still use XNA for free without that fee.

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#7]
Yep, James is a pretty nifty coder, you've done well to nab him Grey! ;)

Good luck with it, I hope its the start of many more! :)

Dabz

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#8]
Good luck with it, I hope its the start of many more! :)
Me too. James is awesome, super fast and good. He took the initiative and nabbed me actually, it was his idea to use the HB graphics in his existing match-3 engine and I said why don't we do a full conversion (I had planned to do myself but had no time what with being at BFG full-time + family yada yada).

Btw, if anyone ever wants to work with me on an iPad match-3 let me know.

Last edited 2010

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#9]

Btw, if anyone ever wants to work with me on an iPad match-3 let me know.

You should see Qube, he has his Holiday Swapz game on iPhone using GLBasic!

Dabz

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#10]
Thanks, I wanted to work with someone who already had a match-3 engine out there so that's perfect (if he's interested)

Last edited 2010

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#11]

Thanks, I wanted to work with someone who already had a match-3 engine out there so that's perfect (if he's interested)

No probs, and on a slightly 'another' note, Cygnus is pretty nifty with music (Saw your other thread), he's not very well at the minute with flu, but, as choons go, he's canny at them! :D

Dabz

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#12]
Yeah he made some of the music for Easter Bonus, it was great!

QuickSilva(Posted 2010) [#13]
Easter Bonus 2, non-pixel graphics, iPad ...

Jason.

Qube(Posted 2010) [#14]
Hi, Jake,

The match-3 engine I used for holiday swapz on the IPhone (sold pretty well) has already been improved and updated for the iPad.

Also my framework on the iPad can shove a huge amount of gfx around at full screen 60fps, auto handle ipad orientation and fully complies with Apples rules for iPad. Even floating point sprite movements are silky smooth, no judder :D - Anims, effects, music, sound routines, so overall I have a decent working framework for iPhone / iPad games too.

If you want to work on a match-3 ipad game then i'd be interested :) - My email address is in my profile if you want to get in touch.

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#15]
Easter Bonus 2, non-pixel graphics, iPad ...
Sounds great, BUT I have a 3 month non-compete to work through that runs out on April 14th. Hmm, seems that Easter is on 24th on April. I'm allowed to work on games before then but not release them. Still it's a bit tight...

@Qube: Sounds great! OK let's talk. I'll email you tonight.

big10p(Posted 2010) [#16]
Sounds great, BUT I have a 3 month non-compete to work through that runs out on April 14th.
They even control what you can do AFTER you've left the company? In the contract, I guess. Personally, I wouldn't have signed without that clause being removed, but hey-ho. :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#17]
It was originally 12 months, and that is standard with corporations over here, but I haggled them down to 3 months as long as I stayed 2 years. I'll never sign such a thing again though. I won't feel truly free until that 3 months is up. In theory I could make arcade games as they are non casual games, but it depends how much I want to test out their legal dept!

Gabriel(Posted 2010) [#18]
Sounds great, BUT I have a 3 month non-compete to work through that runs out on April 14th. Hmm, seems that Easter is on 24th on April.

Technically, you *can* submit a game to the App Store and set its release date to be further away than the day it gets approved. So you could set the release date for April 14th, submit early March and if it gets rejected for a dopy reason, you still have time to appeal/fix it. If it gets approved, it will automatically go on sale on April 14th.

big10p(Posted 2010) [#19]
Ah, OK. In that case, well done for getting them down to 3 months. Companies do tend to take liberties with initial contracts, it seems.

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#20]
@Gabriel: Thx, I'll investigate more... I'm allowed to release existing IP you see, as that was excluded from my contract, so the original Easter Bonus or Oz would be fine.

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#21]
@Qube: Have emailed you. Sorry for delay, been crazy busy!

Snixx(Posted 2011) [#22]
Please no match 3 XD :)