ORCS - Oldschool Roleplay Construction Set

Community Forums/Showcase/ORCS - Oldschool Roleplay Construction Set

Krischan(Posted 2010) [#1]
This is my latest project, based on my Khorinis Scenery Demo BSP Loader, still in an early stage but I wanted to share it and get your feedback for it.

If you're older than 30 you remember games like The Bard's Tale, Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder or even Legend of Faerghail. First I wanted to create a clone of Legend of Faerghail but then I became very interested in creating a standalone engine working together with the NETradiant mapping tool and lightmapped Quake 3 format BSP files as a map source. The long-term focus is that you simply create a map in NETradiant, render the BSP together with the scripting stuff and external textfiles and let the engine do the rest.

What has been finished right now? Well there is a nice customized BSP Loader creating the lightmapped mesh out of the BSP directly and it is able to parse the Entities contained in it, too (even custom entities created by yourself). You can walk block by block with a freelook camera, collisions, walk through doors, break doors, open secret doors, display text messages, a simple indoor/outdoor transition together with my BlitzSky for outdoor scenes, treasure chests, different floor walk sounds, compass, minimap and so on... Oh, and I changed my BlitzSky in this package a little bit so that BlitzSky doesn't create an own camera now and is able to use an existing camera instead.

Additional, for my Legend of Faerghail (LOF) tests, I wrote a CSV2MAP utility which creates automatically a complete .MAP file out of a CSV file, completely caulked, textured, lights placed, chests placed, doors placed - ready to use. And now please don't laugh - as a 2D Map editor for this I use MS Excel :-D - I export the map to CSV, use CSV2MAP and render the BSP with NETradiant/Q3MAP2. In the folder maps/castle1 you find everything you need to modify the map yourself - it is the representation of the original LOF derelict castle level 1 map (always using 36x36 fields matrix).

To run my demo just download the first link only, if you want to modify the maps and play around with it you should download NETradiant first (second link), unzip to ex. C:\Netradiant and then execute the my ORCS.exe file (first link) in this folder - this makes Netradiant portable, too. The demo is in the subfolder blitz3d.game/data/demo.bb. Below there are subfolders for maps, textures, models, shaders following the quake3 folder structures (mandatory for Netradiant to work properly!).

How to play: moving with arrows, TAB switches between oldschool and freelook camera, LMB opens secret doors, RMB switches torch, M switches minimap (castle1 only) and SPACE switches wireframe mode. Oh and in the castle1 demo you can break two doors by running against them, over and over again :-D

And now have fun with it!

First Link: Download O.R.C.S.
Second Link: Download NETradiant

Please read the credits.txt file for usage rights for some of the used media!

Last edited 2010

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#2]
Sounds and looks really good. But I never thought that I will ever have to install MS Excel for game design - I hope Open Office works too :°)

Krischan(Posted 2010) [#3]
> I hope Open Office works too :°)

Didn't try it but as fallback you're free to create the CSV with notepad :-D

SLotman(Posted 2010) [#4]
Impressive as always :)

Any chance for a minib3d version?

Last edited 2010

Zmatrix(Posted 2010) [#5]
looks good, :)

Sam

taumel(Posted 2010) [#6]
Oh i would love to try this one out. Sadly there isn't a OSX version.

Krischan(Posted 2012) [#7]
I'm still playing Legend of Grimrock and inspired by it I continued to work on this project. Here are some new screens from my current WIP. A very early (=empty) stage of an indoor level and a outdoor scene using Blitzsky for day/night transitions.

It is still made with Blitz3D and NetRadiant but I plan to move over to Blitzmax+MiniB3D. Unfortunately I couldn't find a simple solution with shader support to pimp the walls and better lighting using pixelshaders but it does still look nice even with DX7 lighting + lightmaps only.

Last edited 2012

Trinosis(Posted 2012) [#8]
Hi Krischan.

Doesn't run for me.

Extracting the Orcs.exe reveals lots of files and folders but no runable .exe which i was expecting.

I can compile the demo.bb source file in Blitz3d but i get the error message, 'texture does not exist'.

Any ideas ?

Looks really good by the way.

Krischan(Posted 2012) [#9]
Did you update Blitz3D to the latest version? Looks like your version does not yet support DDS textures used in the demo. Here I use 1.106 and it compiles / runs from the start.

Trinosis(Posted 2012) [#10]
Yes, you're right, my version of Blitz3d was out of date.

I havn't updated it in years.

That was a fun demo.

I have a couple of issues though.

I wasn't keen on the tile movement system.
After playing fps games for many years, tile movement feels quite odd and restrictive to me.

The castle level was pretty dark inside. On my monitor, a lot of the time it was really too dark to see, even with the torch activated.

A gamma option would really help here, for users like myself who may have particularly dark monitors.

I also didn't like the default camera zoom value, which gave that fishbowl lense 3d effect.

So, i changed it to 'CameraZoom cam , 1.65' which gave a much more natural look.

Apart from those small niggles i think you have a good foundation here to make a really cool retro style rpg.

Any plans to make this into a full game ?

Ginger Tea(Posted 2012) [#11]
Seeing as he was inspired by grimrock to get back onto this it comes as no surprise that it's old school grid based

RemiD(Posted 2012) [#12]
I like how you use the flares for the lights, UT style :)

Last edited 2012

Krischan(Posted 2012) [#13]
I made a small demo snapshot from my current outdoor quad engine I'll use for ORCS later - I switched over to BlitzMax and miniB3D now. It is only the outdoor area with dynamic grass and billboard trees which will be sufficient - there are no "real" 3D trees there as I won't make it too complicated. It is looking nice to me even if the trees look weird when you're very close to them. But the ORCS engine uses oldschool block moving later so I don't have to care very much about this issue.

Use the mouse/arrows to move. Keys 1-3 change the scene time, 4 to 0 show/hide elements and V switches Vsync for FPS tests. Holding LMB elevates and RMB switches torchlight for night mode illumination. Except the sky and background mountains, there are only single surface quads which are updated very fast moving existing vertices only. Hope you like it.

How fast does it run at your system? Here on my three year old laptop I get up to 200FPS (C2D @ 2.53GHz / GeForce 9600MGT).

Download Executable (4.7MB)

Last edited 2012

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#14]
That is Excellent and I going download it :)

Have you heard of Grass party and Tree Party?

UPDATED: After checking your program...I have notice you used Tree sprites like you see in Doom where dead enemys on the floor and you turn left or right and you will see the enemys sprites move as same as you see the tree move in circle

I love the grass, trees and sky...

Well Done Man

62 FPS on WITHOUT Vsync

290 FPS ON With Vsync :)

3GHZ
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon 5870

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

Jason W.(Posted 2012) [#15]
Hotshot,

How is that possible? vsync on will lock the fps to refresh rate? Maybe the refresh toggle is opposite.

Jason

Last edited 2012

Steve Elliott(Posted 2012) [#16]
Around 56FPS (average). Great atmosphere though, until you looked up. Kinda looked like there was a hole in the ceiling of a building - so you could see the stars.

Krischan(Posted 2012) [#17]
Steve - I can't reproduce your "problem" - on which GFX card did you test it? I changed the CameraRange and updated the upload - so please test it again.

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#18]
i tested it on an old intel gfx card, 7 FPS :)

I had the same thing as steve elliot when i looked up

Steve Elliott(Posted 2012) [#19]
Gonna have to delete the notebook in my sig, then peeps would know lol ;)

[Edit]
I have.

Last edited 2012

Banshee(Posted 2012) [#20]
I tried both demos and I thought both were very cool. I hope you finish it :)

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#21]
Uh oh.... Somethings wrong?

Orcs worked just fine though.

Krischan(Posted 2013) [#22]
Hmm looks weird. Anyway - here is the unoptimized code for the billboard scene and an update to ORCS, have fun to play around with it:

Download ZIP 9.7MB

For the indoor levels I played a little bit with Normalmaps and DOT3 lights but I'm not happy with it yet, I really need shader lighting here for better results. In the first screen I used a model from Oblivion to test my single model dot3 light function, it calculates the vertex colors according the light position and so the normalmap lights the mesh correctly, the diamonds are additional dot3 light sources dummys, the base lighting is done with static lightmaps, all done in vanilla miniB3D without shaders. It doesn't look "flat" anymore but could be much better with shaders.

Here my "dotlight.bmx" Include which I used for the DOT3 lighting of the model and the level, the B3D model has just the diffusemap applied to it - the texture name gets scanned and the brush will be reorganized with the normalmap which is always [diffusemapname]_n.png here. Please notice that the model should be pickable which I use to check if a model vertex can "see" the light source which is important to keep the dotlight inside rooms. The Lightsource is colored with 255,255,255 and a range of 128. I lose the vertex colors but I apply a single color texture created in CreateBaseTexture to recolor the whole model with a single color simulating colored light. There is only one light source / color possible now.

dotlight.bmx Include:

Additional here is the pixmap.bmx include used for LoadTexturePixmap:

Ian Thompson(Posted 2013) [#23]
I find a non shader based DOT3 very interesting, its good to see how its done in BMX code. Now if you could show me how to do your own runtime shadow maps that would make my day Krischan!