Manifest Galaxy

Community Forums/Showcase/Manifest Galaxy

jhans0n(Posted 2010) [#1]
I just started a dev blog for my current project, Manifest Galaxy. It's a space RPG in the vein of Sentinel Worlds and Starflight. I've been working on it for a few months, but decided that the blog might be a good idea since it could help some fellow BlitzMaxers out.

Anyway, here's the link. There's not a whole lot there at the moment, but there are some screenshots and more content is on the way. Let me know what you think!

http://manifestgalaxy.blogspot.com

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#2]
looks interestin - good luck thar

Romanski(Posted 2010) [#3]
nice!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#4]
Seems to progress nicely. Keep up the good work.

jhans0n(Posted 2010) [#5]
Thanks. Yeah, I try to work a little on the game every night, even if it's just sketching stuff out on paper. Sometimes I only have a few minutes, sometimes an hour or two.

My current project is the character generation system. I have three different methods as options, two of which are finished.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2010) [#6]
Looking good. If done right, this could end up as something I would be interested in. The character creation is very novel. Did you come up with the idea yourself?

Do yourself a favour with those character portraits; zoom in and centre them a bit. It looks like some of them were too short for the photo booth! :)

Last edited 2010

jhans0n(Posted 2010) [#7]
Thanks for the input. I'm glad you like the premise.

I can't recall ever seeing a character creation system exactly like mine, but I'm sure someone smarter than me has done it before. Some other games have done question-based character generation of some sort. I think it was Arena or Daggerfall that let you choose your class based on how you answer questions, but I don't think it directly influenced your stats like my system does. I could be mistaken on that though, as I haven't played those games in years.

As for the portraits, I'm intentionally leaving extra space in them for a couple of reasons.

#1 - The backgrounds are significant. For example, in that post where I showed the four portraits side-by-side, the backgrounds show what their job is on the ship. When they're on the ship, the captain will always have the first one, communications person second, computer guy third, and mechanic fourth. The striped green background is used in ship-to-ship communications. Other backgrounds will be used for different locations and situations.

#2 - I have some other plans for the space I left directly over their heads, in particular during the ship-to-ship sequences.

In case neither of those things works out the way I want, I do have zoomed ones prepared. :)

Last edited 2010

jhans0n(Posted 2010) [#8]
Last night I posted a video of the game on the blog. The game is still very early in the dev process, but let me know what you think so far.

TaskMaster(Posted 2010) [#9]
Hmmm, only the 8 cardinal directions? Why did you choose to go that route, instead of being able to go any direction the user wants?

jhans0n(Posted 2010) [#10]
360 rotation didn't feel retro enough for me.

jhans0n(Posted 2010) [#11]
I decided to take your suggestion and swap back to the 360 rotation mode. I'll probably make a "retro mode" that you can enable that includes this and a few other little tweaks that are strictly related to the retro vibe and but don't necessarily improve the game play.

I'm also going to have a key that can let you snap to one of the cardinal or ordinal directions when in the 360 mode. The different ships handle differently (big cargo ships have wide turning radii, the little fighter ship is hyper-maneuverable like a TIE fighter), and your captain's piloting ability (and to a lesser extent reflex stat) affects this further, so being able to snap to a direction can help in certain situations. Plus I can enable that mode permanently for automated ships, making them look that much more "robotic".

Last edited 2010

jhans0n(Posted 2010) [#12]
I put a second video up on the dev blog showing the updated movement and such. Enjoy!

http://manifestgalaxy.blogspot.com

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#13]
ok
-the video on the website is very small, I had to go to the youtube page
-that WHOOP sound effect for the buttons is too crazy
-the character screen looks good
-the planetary exploration and flying look ok

just make sure not to do feature creep,keep it relatively simple, get it finished and dont give up

Last edited 2010

jhans0n(Posted 2010) [#14]
Yeah, that sound effect is just a placeholder. It's going to use a more subtle and quieter version of the same basic idea.

As for the video size, I just fixed it. Apparently Blogger defaults to a pretty ridiculous size. I had to embed the video manually.

Finishing it won't be a problem. It won't necessarily be as quick to finish as I'd prefer, since I can only work on it a few hours a week, but it will get done. I'm not particularly prone to feature creep because I know I don't have time to goof around, so I keep a checklist handy and stick to it.

I'm probably one of the few people around here that doesn't have a huge graveyard of unfinished games. I don't make a lot of them, but when I work on one, I typically finish it.

*(Posted 2011) [#15]
bloody brilliant cant wait for this to be released I done one back in 2000 called Star Flight 2000 but because of language limitations it was never 100% completed.