Match3 Test Engine

Community Forums/Showcase/Match3 Test Engine

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#1]
Right, barring timing, which is pretty mundane, a little tidy up, I think the basic core of the engine for my next game is now just about there! :)

http://www.blitzmonkeys.com/adminfiles/dabz/fruity/match3test.zip

Just a couple of notes:

- to complete the level, you need to remove all the white back board tiles.

- There are two shaded types of tile, these are blocker type tiles (Not sure what to call them to be honest, lol), basically, you need to get a match (Or two) to be able to clear the white back board tile... Totally black means theres got to be two matches on the tile cell before its freed, grey denotes one match on the tile cell to free it.

- You can change the matching mode of the engine, 'global' means that any matches, regardless of how 3+ sets of tiles came into being (eg cascading matches) in a row clears the white tiles from the back, 'local' means only the player generated matching tiles will be removed.

Match3's are little gits to write, yeah, you could knock out a basic one in no time, but I found that fine-tuning them to a decent standard takes the most time in writing something like this, now though, I'm pretty happy with so, while I'm just about to move on to the next thing on my list, may as well let the wolves at it! ;)

Anyway, have a play, see what you think! :)

Dabz

Last edited 2010

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#2]
Surprisingly addictive.

Background Blocks may be replaced by something more eyecandy-ish. Eg. Marble, wood, gold, glass or so, with a 3D feel.

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#3]

Background Blocks may be replaced by something more eyecandy-ish. Eg. Marble, wood, gold, glass or so, with a 3D feel.

Yeah, thats the plan, but for now, DrawRect is way! :D

Basically, I havent started none of the proper media for this, but the reason I'm putting this out now is that match3's are little tinkers, you sometimes think "Yeah, thats done", then wallop, it'll throw the unexpected, so, if 10 people download it and play it for at least 15 minutes and dont spot anything odd, then jobs a good'un really! :)

Anyhoo, thanks for taking a look jfk, much appreciated matey!

Dabz

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#4]
I've downloaded it and will give it a try later today, Dabman!

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#5]
Everything appeared to work fine... you should keep going

Personally, I'm not really a match-3 fan, but I get why people like it en-mass and why its a good target market (although a bit flooded) but everyone wants a different flavour on it.

Jesse(Posted 2010) [#6]
cool, have you considered making it accessible to netbooks? I just tried it on my dughter netbook(was stearing at me all lonely in the sofa). anyway, it was completely useless trying to play on half the game screen.

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#7]
Match3's are little gits to write, yeah, you could knock out a basic one in no time, but I found that fine-tuning them to a decent standard takes the most time in writing something like this
Amen to that. Yeah keep going, keen to see the end result.

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#8]

cool, have you considered making it accessible to netbooks? I just tried it on my dughter netbook(was stearing at me all lonely in the sofa). anyway, it was completely useless trying to play on half the game screen.

Yeah, at the moment, the screen is a fixed resolution, eventually, I'll hopefully have something sorted!

Thanks for having a pop! :)

Dabz

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#9]
Worked well, Dabz. Good job on the fruit images, too. It made me hungry.

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#10]

Worked well, Dabz. Good job on the fruit images, too. It made me hungry.

lol, they will probably leave the party I'm afraid Gary, just placeholders really to get the general feel of things! :)

Gonna start the proper media now (Biggest part for me), and fangle it into a game... Wish me luck! :D

Dabz

GfK(Posted 2010) [#11]
All seemed fine to me. Only had a quick play, mind. Couldn't really play it any rate of knots on a laptop touchpad. :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#12]
Oh you need to add click and drag support btw.