Blob monster code

Community Forums/Showcase/Blob monster code

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#1]
I've made a little code tutorial about animating stuff using trig. I've put it on my blog here: http://www.charliesgames.com/wordpress/?p=441

Full blitzmax code is included. I'm kind of hoping for some feedback on whether people find it interesting. If so i'll do some more.

Cheers
Charlie

Last edited 2010

Tachyon(Posted 2010) [#2]
Absolutely amazing effect with such a compact piece of code. Thank you for sharing this! I will learn a lot from playing around in there.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#3]
Very impressive.

MGE(Posted 2010) [#4]
Cheers! Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

Oddball(Posted 2010) [#5]
The enemies in Irukandji are sumptuous and this a great example of how you achieved such a compelling style. I am actually amazed it's all done with a single image. An excellent use of procedural animation. Thanks for sharing.

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#6]
Thanks chaps! I guess i'll have to think of some other stuff to write about now!

Also, for the more adventurous among you, this post contains the draw method for the crab boss in Irukandji. You'll probably need to edit it a bit, and add some more fields, but it shouldn't be too tricky to get working...
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=88064#1000285

Cheers
Charlie

Last edited 2010

BlitzSupport(Posted 2010) [#7]
Brilliant!

Jesse(Posted 2010) [#8]
really nice Charlie. Thanks for taking time and provide such a nice demo to learn from.

dmaz(Posted 2010) [#9]
fantastic, thanks! nice job on the code commenting too.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#10]
This is simply.. awesome!

rs22(Posted 2010) [#11]
Wow, that's brilliant!

Panno(Posted 2010) [#12]
like it a lot ! thx

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2010) [#13]
This is really special....made me dust off the old BMAX and gave much inspiration! THanks

big10p(Posted 2010) [#14]
Gorgeous! Trig really can be a lot of fun. :)

smilertoo(Posted 2010) [#15]
nice effect.

Ked(Posted 2010) [#16]
This is really cool.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#17]
Oh thanks alot now I'm totally distracted playing with this LOL

I'll post what I've done soon ;)

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#18]
@Skully, looking forward to seeing your blob monster!

Cheers
Charlie

smilertoo(Posted 2010) [#19]
jkrankie: are you using normal sprites or some quad system? thats a lot of glowey things flying around.

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#20]
Normal max2d sprites. The source code is in a zip file available from the link above.

It's also been ported to flash now as well!

Cheers
Charlie

FreakForFreedom(Posted 2010) [#21]
This is awesome! Thanks a lot :)

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#22]
So I didn't mess with the general creature I just added a minor AI (its still a little buggy) and made it so you could spawn multiple monsters. Three points on the monsters back represent how much food and pleasure the creature has and the red dot is how much pain its in.

The AI just looks around for food (green dots) and pleasure (blue dots) and should avoid pain from red dots... if it gets too much pain it dies, if it starts to starve it causes pain which would in turn cause it to die. Once its full it looks for pleasure (treats) and when it's had enough of those it looks for a mate. When 2 monsters are close for long enough a new monster is born. Red dots emit food every 1000 game iterations.

Thanks jkrankie, this was a fun diversion. Time to get back on the job of my current project... still throwing this into the samples package though!

Last edited 2010

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#23]
That's really good!

Cheers
Charlie

jkrankie(Posted 2011) [#24]
I Monkified it! http://www.charliesgames.com/wordpress/?p=543

Can't figure out how to re-colour images in Monkey though?

Cheers
Charlie

taumel(Posted 2011) [#25]
Sadly that doesn't work, it's not supposed to work. I also miss this.

*snip*
Sets the current color.

The current color is used by all drawing operations except Cls and DrawImage.
*snap*

Last edited 2011

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#26]
That's cool, thanks for sharing. Good tutorial and well commented, clear code.

Last edited 2011

Why0Why(Posted 2011) [#27]
That demo is gorgeous. Thanks for posting.