CSP Game Engine V10.0

Community Forums/Showcase/CSP Game Engine V10.0

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#1]

Hello everybody, as you probably used to read on the news page, there is a new version of my FPS engine. Some say it's a dino, some call it zombie, however. What's really new is the license, so now you can build a game with it and decide later if you want to buy a license or not.

BTW. registered Users will get a full update in the next days.

The binary was compiled with Blitz3D 1.04 (because with 1.06 there was a problem with sprites that are parented to the camera).

If you had any crashes or if you want to make a comment, this would be the place to tell me about it, thanks for your attention.

Edit: BTW: since the game is a 130 MB download (and there may be problems on some systems) you may want to download the Construction Kit first (23MB) and see if the engine works on your machine (both, if it works or not, some information about the environment would be useful for me).

Download Section of the official project site:
http://www.melog.ch/dropper/downloads.html

EDIT
To complete this, let me add some extra information here. Please note: Stop reading here if you don't want to know how the story ends, but prefere to unfold the plot by your own.

Story
John Smith, an average Loser realizes that somebody is trying to destroy him, but he doesn't know who it is. He will then escape from his city. During the escape, he has to kill several armed agents. A mysterious "helping hood society" will then contact him and hire him for an "easy mission". In exchange they promise to tell him who his persecutors are. The "easy mission" then turns into a blood bath, and Smith realizes that he was fooled. He gets kidnapped and wakes up in a locked room where he will have to break out. It turns out he is in the castle of the boss of the organisation that wants to eliminate him. Here, you may guess it already, he has to kill all guards, find the boss, kill him too, destroy the castle and escape alive.

Complete solution...
Level 1: Dirty ol Town
Walk around and talk to the civilian people. Don't go to the restricted area. You'll find out that Joe is selling guns. Go to Joes Bar and start talking to him. If he's not there, you may wait for him in the bar, or search for him around the house. He's going to tell you that you need some money to buy a gun.
A lady in a orange dress is telling you that she's hiding her money at a save place. Try to follow her, but not in the restricted area. You'll find some money somewhere, but take care not to get shot by a guard at that place. Go back to Joe's bar, Joe will now tell you the combination for his Save that can be found in the backroom of his bar. (Note you need to RMB-cick the code followed by "A", in some cases you first have to clear the Codelock input buffer by clicking the "C" Button). Take the gun and the ammunition out of the Save, go to the restricted area and shot down the guards, one by one and carefully from a rather save position, behind a corner or so. Use Headshots, otherwise this may be too hard. Save your ammunition, there is no additional Ammo in this level. (Unless you're useing a cheat). When you have shot them all, you can savely explore this part of the city. On a paper you can read that the Subwaystation is closed and the key must be on the floor somewhere around here. Find and pick up the key, then go to the Train Station (blue sign over the door) that is now open. Go to the 2nd, inner door. Mission Complete.

Level 2: The Facility
There isn't much to achieve in this level, but it may be not so easy to stay alive because of many enemies and some places where they will shoot from all sides.
After the start, turn back and find the SIG P220, pick it up, as well as the Ammo on the left side. You may also read the Notice on the container there. Then go to the containers on the right side near the tower and pick up the sniper rifle. It does contain only 3 rounds of ammo, but they may be useful to "take out" some of the guards from a distant point (tho, from a cold barrel you may miss the first shot). With the SIG only you'll run out of ammo soon, but there is a Glock right on the crate at the side of the yellow truck (the one without radioactive barrels on it). There is also an Ingram MAC11 at the other side of the place, near the wooden fence, it's up to you to decide which gun you want to take first. Carefully go forward and kill any enemy you see. Before you cross any place, wait behind a corner and shoot the bad guys. Take care not to get too close to those radioactive barrels, they can be heared with your embedded geigercounter if you are too close. Also make sure not to get in contact with those doberman dogs, but shooting them may be a waste of ammo. At several places there are crates full of explosives. When you are not too close to them and when an enemy (or more than one) is standing close to such a crate, shoot it, it will explode and kill all nearby standing NPCs. There are several guns in the level that you may need to find and pickup to be able to kill all enemies. Just explore the site, but be careful and go forward slowly. After you have cleared the facility from any enemy activity, you'll find a grey container on a railway waggon. You need to jump into the open container, using the crates on the floor as a stairway. This may be a bit tricky (certain gravity issues have been seen due to a low framerate, but it should be ok with rates of 30 and higher). Contrary to the mission briefing, that promised a suitcase in a grey container, you will find only a red button here. Press it - you realize this was a trap! You're locked in the container. Mission complete.

Level3: Your Castle will fall
You wake up in a room, you don't know where you are. The door is locked. There is a Voice recorder, click the play button, again the mysterious Boss of the evil "Blobs" will tell you that you are doomed to die etc. Explore the room. At some point when you crouch you'll see there is a key sticking at the bottom of a table. Take it and open the door. You find yourself in a castle. If there is no enemy right in front of you (otherwise go back and wait a few seconds) then run straight forward until you reach the stairways down to the castle yard. Don't stop here, just cross the place and run right into the little Pub on the other side. In the pub you must wait until the employees will no longer be in panic and will stop running around (don't pick up the guns yet, or if you did, hit "H" t hide the gun, otherwise the NPCs will remain in panic). Talk to the NPCs to find out who's the owner of the castle, where he is and how to get to him. Also make use of the medipacks you can find here. Once one of the employees has revealed that the security code lock to the east part of the building can be opened with a certain code, pick up the guns and the ammo in the kitchen, then go out to the castle place. Shoot the 2 guards here. There is no need to shoot the guards on the castle walls, but you can try that if you want. Go to the Gate that seperates the east part from the west part. Open it with the code given to you and be prepared to shoot two soldiers right after the gate has opened. Go to the door at the left side and enter the house. Take all items from the room at the right side, then enter the first room at the left side. Shoot the guard inside this room, take the money and the key. also read the notice on the wall about explosives. Go back, out of the building. Go to the other door and enter, you'll see there is a wall that needs to be removed with explosives. So go back to the west part of the castle, to the main castle front gate that you now can open. Shoot the guard at the front gate and take care not to get too close to the dogs. Go to the left side and pick up the Box with C4 Explosives. Then go back to the east part, to the wall you want to remove. Drop a C4 bomb near the wall, then make sure you're not standing too close. It will explode 10 seconds later. It may have killed the Soldier that is patroling behind the wall, otherwise you shoot him. First go to the room at the end of the corridor, inside you'll find a minigun, pick it up. Also make sure to pick up all medipacks to get a 100% health state. Then go to the first lefthand door and enter. Be prepared to get attacked. You'll have to shoot the evil boss here and try to "fixate" him with bullets as much as you can. During bullet impacts on his body he is paralyzed to some degree, so you should try to use this weakness, otherwise it may be too hard to kill him, since his supernatural powers will make him rather unvincible for single bullets. After his death, you'll find a handy nuclear bomb on his table. Activate it. Mission goal is now accomplished. Go to the black helicopter and activate it. Mission complete.

Cheats (well, some of it)
_god
_ammo
_allguns
_cure
_ghost

Last edited 2011

andy_mc(Posted 2010) [#2]
Looks awesome, I'm sure Puki's your biggest fan for keeping Blitz3D alive with engine's like this.

Gabriel(Posted 2010) [#3]
Awesome. I remember playing your chateau demo years and years back and it was really damn good then. That was before you added all the fancy grass, NPC dialogue and all the other new stuff.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#4]
Yeah, the fanclub is getting bigger and bigger :) I have to say, this release is some kind of "must come to an end" thing. I spent some money in 3D content and Sound Licenses, it would have been a complete waste if I did not release it. Most of the Level design is made by Steve from Arteria3D. I like it very much, but from a tech point of view the meshes are a little bit uneconomical (eg. clone tris), so the game may be rather slow for such simple Graphics.

There are no stencil shadows in the game, I do however utilize the Lightmaps to shade the NPCs according to their location.

Gabriel, did I mention that I had to remove that chateau demo due to a legal issue between me and edit: somebody whos name I maybe should not mention here? I wonder why they did not sue Deus Ex 1, because it contained they same "illegal mention" of the name.

I would not say the game looks awesome. Other engines are looking much better. But unlike other engines, it is really a game engine, not only a 3D engine with some gameplay possibilities. In the first demo, the chateau demo I tried to get a story and everything that makes an entertaining game. With this version I came back to the old philosophy and I tried to use story elements that are makeing a good game, let me mention esp. one of them: the unexpected turn in the storyline.

Last edited 2010

MadJack(Posted 2010) [#5]
Jfk

Good on you for persisting with this project.

I wonder how it would fare converted to Blitz3d + Xors...

BladeRunner(Posted 2010) [#6]
I'm very sad to say that on my machine the demogame won't work.
The Demo starts up, giving the intro and intro video and after that my Win7 reports the grafic cards driver failed to function and had to be restarted. This message repeats until I kill the Game process.

Specs:
Asus Aspire 8930G Laptop with GF9700GT/M graphics with newest drivers installed, Win 7 64 bit.
(I tried it also with a somewhat outdated driver, same result.)

granada(Posted 2010) [#7]
I'm very sad to say that on my machine the demogame won't work.
The Demo starts up, giving the intro and intro video and after that my Win7 reports the grafic cards driver failed to function and had to be restarted. This message repeats until I kill the Game process.

I am Having the same problem (hope it can be sorted out)

Dave

Matty(Posted 2010) [#8]
I actually bought a licence many years ago to a much earlier version, but didn't do anything with it (wasteful of me), but I may download the construction kit and see how easy it is to put something together. I'm curious to try it out. To be honest I'm not much of a gamer, and definitely not a first person shooter gamer, but I'd be keen to see if I can make some kind of more arcade style run and gun blast fest with this.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#9]
I was afraid of that. Really bad since this is plain blitz3D, Version 1.04. The videos are MPEG1. I don't see why this should happen. Other Blitz3D stuff works?

You could help me by running it in debug mode, I think there's a batch file to do that. Then send me your debug log file (to hanshuber008 ät yahoo dot com), it will be saved in the game directory somewhere, a text file. I will then see where the crash happened. Thanks for trying!

RifRaf(Posted 2010) [#10]
Jfk

Good on you for persisting with this project.

I wonder how it would fare converted to Blitz3d + Xors...

I wonder as well, last time I tried Xors converting to the xors command set wasnt possible because of multiple bugs / complications in the engine, and internal math differences that made it a nightmare

Hows the progress with that engine these days in terms of Converting Blitz3D projects?

JFK, cant you just recompile this with the latest B3D version instead of 1.04 ?

Last edited 2010

elcoo(Posted 2010) [#11]
Don't know when you tried Xors last time, but it has improved greatly in the last year. It's actually very similar to Blitz3D, with some smaller differences. I prefer it a lot over Blitz3D for it's shader compability and hardware instancing. Give it a try!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2010) [#12]
just downloaded demo..tried and issues listed before foe W7..but in my case i didnt kill process but waited for a while and got it work BUT, everything sort of..weird..like i press UP arrow to move and camera moves few meters then stop then again move, etc etc..entire execution is in that fashion and some meshes randomly appear/disappear..alo i had to wait a bit to see menu after hitting ESC..appart from that, didnt crashed..

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#13]
Xors may be an option, I put it on the agenda, thanks. Since the sourcecode is now rather long, I would try to wrap Xors with Blitz3D-like alias functions. Would you say this is going to work for all Blitz functions?

EDIT: wait a minute: from the EULA:
(e) Licensee may not: (i) distribute or release ... game making software;
So this sadly seems to be no option, at least not for my engine project. Maybe for real game products, sure.

BTW the debug log file: you may also post it here, in a codeblock.

RifRaf: there was an ugly graphical artefact with camera-parented Sprites when compiled with the latest version, 1.06. I described it in the 1.06 Update Thread. It was really fatal, so I went back to 1.04.

There's an other thing I'd like to mention: when I test this release on my Notebook with XP, then there's something I would call event-triggered dynamic Process-Priority management. As soon as I move the mouse over the App window, the framerate is at its max. When I don't move it (eg. by walking straight in one direction) then the framerate is dropping rapidly.

This only happens in windowed mode. So maybe you should try a Fullscreen Mode (ScreenSettings.bat). You may also use the Cheat "_info" to see if the free Vram is constant, or if there may be a memory leak. It was ok here, but it seems things are diffrent on other Systems.

Last edited 2010

puki(Posted 2010) [#14]
The safe code doesn't work - 3141 is what he told me.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#15]
It doesn't work?? did you click the "A" button after the 3141? This would indeed be a new dimension in incompatibility :)

At least, good to hear you played it up to that point.

elcoo(Posted 2010) [#16]
@jfk
There are minor differences between the Xors and Blitz3D functions, but I managed to convert Blitz3D to Xors with relativly low effort. Just put an "x" in front of the 3D-functions and it'll work for like 95% of your code.
A maybe more considerable problem is, that the 3DS importer still needs some work. So if you got many 3DS meshes you might encounter texturing issues. Also Xors doesn't support MD2.
You can try it by the way, the trial version of Xors only has a time limit per start of your application.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#17]
Hi elcoo. Thanks for the information. I just sent a mail to the team of Xors, concerning the EULA and the limitation about "game making software".

I have some 3ds in use, also animated ones, but I think I could replace all of them with relative ease by DirectX7 compilant .X, are those supported? I am however sceptical about loading B3D. Probably a tool like Fragmotion can convert them to Dx9 .X.

Before I download and start learning Xors, I want to find out if I could use it legally at all for the project. There are some further candidates. No matter what, I got to "upgrade to presence" the sooner or later.

elcoo(Posted 2010) [#18]
Yes, DirectX .x Meshes are supported pretty well, with Animations, Normals and stuff, although I usually use B3D. But this is only, as the most exporters I use, don't do DirectX Meshes to good.

BladeRunner(Posted 2010) [#19]

Here ist my output. Seems from CSPs point of view everything went just fine. My driver gone to hell again :/

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#20]
Thanks Bladerunner, this is interesting. After that last line "successfully loaded options settings" the scene will be cached.

You maybe know when you're loading a lot of meshes and then run the game loop, the machine will run jerky with pauses and breaks for the first 10 Seconds or so. This is why I added this Scene caching.
A camera will be created and positioned 10000 units from the center away. It has a range of 0.01 to 20000. It will then perform a couple of renders, to ensure everything will be rendered smoothly from now on.

I am surprised, that this function causes problems, because it may be slow and almost freeze the app for several seconds, but basicly it always used to work even on rather weak machines.

So it wasn't everything fine. If so, there would have been a last line with something like "Will now start Main Loop". I wonder if a camera range of 0.01 to 20000 could be a problem for some systems.

I also got some repeated Renderwords there, like:
Renderworld()
Renderworld()
Renderworld()

Maybe a source for problems with Multi Core Processors?

BTW Bladerunner - I guess you meant GF 7900GT, right?

EDIT: here's a little test program that is doing about the same as the caching function:

graphics3d 800,600,32,2
setbuffer backbuffer()
p=createpivot()

camera=createcamera()
camerarange camera,0.01,20000
positionentity camera,10000,10000,10000
pointentity camera,p

for i=0 to 50 ; this will eat 200 megs of vram for textures
 c=createsphere(20) ; and about 75k Tris.
 positionentity c,rand(-1000,1000),rand(-1000,1000),rand(-1000,1000)
 t=createtexture(2048,2048) 
 entitytexture c,t
next

print "ok"
while keyhit(1)=0
 renderworld()
 renderworld()
 renderworld()
delay 10
wend

This is about what it does. Does that crash too?
(Actuially this just froze my XP when I told it to create more than what fits in Vram, eg. For i=0 to 100 on 256 MB Vram - be warned, ctrl-alt-del with no effect)

Last edited 2010

BladeRunner(Posted 2010) [#21]
I killed the process after the message appeared that the driver crashed. I will run the demo once more and give it more time.
Your testcode runs fine here, no problems with this.

No, I meant 9700GT M(obile), not 7900GT. This is a gaming Laptop, the Graphics card is a DX10 one which runs up2date games quite well.

HM, odd enough, it worked this time after i waited for almost 3 minutes after the crash report. the game is unplayable slowly, though, about 0.3 fps.

LOG:

another try, this time without debug:
nope, no GFX after the crash here. I hear sound playing and some kind of 'select'-Sound if i hit blindly into the white window. thats all.

Last edited 2010

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#22]
Thanks for testing. I really have no clue what's wrong. The code doesn't do anything special. Just plain Blitz3D, esp. during standard game mode, like walking around. If it would crash as soon as a dialogue is started, then I'd say it something with the texture crossfader, but as you say, 0.3 fps from beginning on, and the second time even with no graphics... Maybe, when you have got the patience, you could try it in a FUllscreen Mode. Probably the 0.3 fps has something to do with process priority. At least that's what I get on XP - windowed mode is jerky und rather unplayable due to some strange dynamic process priority management.

Well, there is always a small percentage of machines that won't play it properly, it has always been like that. What matters is the number of them. Unfort. it seems this number is increasing more and more.

But as far as I know there are known issues with DX10. Did you have other issues with Blitz3D, eg. with Sprites? It seems to be a problem in general that DX10 is only emulating DX7 and it doesn't do that correctly. Maybe they will fix some issues in the near future.

Last edited 2010

BladeRunner(Posted 2010) [#23]
Trying to play fullscreen results also in no gfx, sound only.
I never experienced any weird bugs with b3d before, an i trst quite a lot of stuff as i am moderator in the german forums and therefore have to look through the software in our showcase.
As long as textures are power of 2 everything ran fine by now.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#24]
I'l try to find out what it is. Meanwhile I used to write a Sprites Substitute function set that overrides all Sprites Functions and is using Quad Meshes instead (see code archives), I probably will implement it in the engine as a generic compatibility approach the sooner or later.

It isn't the lack of modern features in Blitz3D that makes me searching for an other tool, it's Compatibility problems like these. Then again, I'd be surprised if Blitz3D hasn't still one of the best compatibilites right out of the box. It's just, when your sourcecode it getting 12 thousand lines long or longer, many things can happen. Maybe I want too much. Support for Win98 is as important to me as Support for Win7.
I' looking back to the good old times when a program on an atari ST had do run only on one machine only because they were all the same :-)

elias_t(Posted 2010) [#25]
Hi Dieter!

How are you?
I see you still are evolving the csp engine!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#26]
Hi Elias! I'm fine, thank you. Hope you're fine too. How's everything going? Still got Blitzomaniac symptoms? ;)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#27]
Please Note: I new Version was uploaded, see new download path for the game at www.melog.ch .

This new version fixes some bugs and completely replaces Blitz's Sprites by Quad-based substitutes. This may or may not fix the issues some people had. Both were updated, Game Construction Kit and Demo Game.

Last edited 2010

Krischan(Posted 2010) [#28]
Hm, tried it (engine20.exe @ 25.11.2010 22:54) and MAV occurs instantly, screen shows a negative VRAM value (-1899016192), here's the debug log:

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#29]
Hi Krischan. Thank you for this error report. Are we talking about the game(130MB) or the contruction kit (23MB)? Is it 100% reproducable?

What I can tell you is this: After your last log line the following Commands should be executed:

Wbuffer 1
LoadFont
FreeFont
Setfont
GraphicsWidth()
Stringheight
If, Then
Global

no user functions, no arrays, no types, just a few simple variables.

After that the next log line should follow. I definitely haven't got a clue what could be wrong with these Blitz Commands, you may try them in Blitz3D on your machine. I am using a fontsize that is calculated from the screensize, maybe the resulting float could be the cause? eg. font=loadfont("Arial",GraphicsWidth()/49.0). Tho, I don't think so. Probably WBuffer?

BTW how do you mean "screen shows a negative VRAM value (-1899016192)" ? Do you mean the engines warning at startup "warning ,low videoram: _free_vram_" ? If so, then this should not be a problem, because it's only a warning. But I'd really wonder why it says that, because all it does is:
if TotalVidMem()<127000000 then
print "warning, low video ram: "+TotalVidMem()
endif

(But I instantly realize that we are getting closer to average Vram sizes greater than 2 and 4 Gigabytes, something that will cause problems in many situations, not only with Blitz...)

Last edited 2010

elias_t(Posted 2010) [#30]
Hi Dieter.
Can I use the email adress on melog.ch to send you an email?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#31]
The hanshuber one? yes. Maybe a couple of organisations will read it too, but hey, who cares :°)

Krischan(Posted 2010) [#32]
The game. And yes: that warning. It is 100% reproducable, I never got it running.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#33]
What happens when you execute "Print TotalVidMem()" with Bitz3D? I see you've got 2 machines, one with GTS360M an another one with 9600M GT - on which one does it happen? Any how much Vram do you have anyway?? 2 Gigabytes??!!

Last edited 2010

Krischan(Posted 2010) [#34]
Result: -1899016192

The second one, nVidia 9600M GT with 512MB, Win7, Driver 260.89. I didn't try the first laptop. All other demos I wrote run fine here.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#35]
Do I really get this right, when you run "Print TotalVidMem()" in Blitz3D, version 1.106 or 1.104, then the output by your Blitz3D is "-1899016192" ??

If so, then I'd suggest you

A-ask somebody who's an expert with this piece of hardware if this is a known issue with the card/driver.
B-if it isn't a known issue then make a notice in the Blitz3D Bugreport Section.

It doesn't however seem to be connected with the reason why the Game crashes on your machine. Regarding to your debug log file the crash does happen when some trivial things are done, including font stuff.

Just some suggestions: There may be some compatibility mode features given by the OS to run the exe. And since one of the potential crash causing commands was WBuffer 1, you could try to set WBuffer to zero by editing the file csp_config.cfg, using Notepad. Tho I never heard of crashes due to a call of Wbuffer. But since you get fancy TotalVidMem() results... What kind of card is that, is it very new or something?

RemiD(Posted 2010) [#36]
Hello Jfk,

I've tried your demo of the game "blob_conspiracy csp10" on a netbook eeepc900 (1ghz, 1goDDRAM, 64moVRam).

The game runs well but there is sometimes problems to find the correct faces for the npcs and there is slowdowns...

Some suggestions to increase the speed :
I think you should not use linepick with such a high range, you should lower the linepick range to 3m maximum so that only the entities which are near the player and pickable are tested.

Also only use linepick when Player is pressing the key to shoot and not at each loop.

I don't know if you use several LOD for your character meshes but i use 2 levels of detail for the characters in my game and this really speeds up the game ! (the high detailed character has around 2000 tris and the low detailed character has only around 400 tris !)

Another idea to increase the speed, but i don't know if it works :
Maybe using a tiled level and using entitydistance to check if the tile is near the Player or far from the Player and desactivating the collisions and pickmode of the far away meshes (tiles).

For the menu, if i were you i'd keep the same style for all buttons.

Overall that's a great engine, i really like the animated textures when the characters speak. :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#37]
Thank you very much! I am always trying to make it faster, but I also have to do certain things, like linepicks. Maybe I should reduce them even more.

Note that Netbooks usually have slow 3D hardware and the game would need 128MB Vram. When I play it on my Laptop with 64MB Vram then it will often cache parts of the Vram to normal Ram, resulting in stuttering Framrate, sometimes rather unplayable.

But your suggestions are very welcome, thanks again. And good to see it was running at all :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#38]
Excuse me for pushing this up yet again, but I just discovered a bug of class "OMG". It came with the replacement of the sprites by meshbased quads, as explained earlier. This transformation was so quick, maybe too quick. However, if you look 90 degrees down to your feet or up in the sky (that's the max anyway), the HUD will go crazy, I mean, really crazy. I thought it's a collision thing, but now it seems it's a rounding error or similar math thing in the internal matrix for parented objects - at least I guess so. I don't want to blame it on blitz easily. It's just, it seems to be like that.

I however reduced the limit for the camera pitch angle to -88 to 88 (instead of 90) and now it is fixed. All releases have been updated, only the game still has to be uploaded

It's not a big deal and you may play trough the game without to notice the bug at all, but if you coincedently look straigt down to the ground, the HUD will play crazy. I'll let you know when a new download link for the game is ready. Meanwhile make sure to get the latest version of the construction kit.

EDIT: ok, the latest version of the game is online, make sure to refresh the download page at http://www.melog.ch/dropper/downloads.html to get the most recent download link.

Again thanks everbody for testing, esp. Krishan (tho your negative amount of Vram seems a bit exotic :°) but maybe that's just the way DX 7 Support works today. (then again I've heared that card has overheating and other issues).

Last edited 2010

BladeRunner(Posted 2010) [#39]
Works like a charm now, the sprites seem to been the problem. Nice work!
I only took a short look. Menu takes a little eternity to open.

Ah, I got negative vram-values too, but i think this is because modern cards have more memory than expected in dx7 times ;)

granada(Posted 2010) [#40]
Works like a charm now

For me to,thanks.

Dave

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#41]
Wow,that's so good to hear! The negative Vram Amount is really a Bug, I hope it does not cause much further problems. One thing is: if the engine is "thinking" the user is running out of Vram (eg. less then 16 megs free), then it will not cache things like scaled background Images (Menu etc.),so each time you hit ESC for the Main Menu, it will take a few seconds to rescale the image, trying not to waste Vram. I will have to work around this bug the sooner or later, esp. if AvailVidMem() is also broken.
Could you please make a little test for me:
print TotalVidMem():Print AvailVidMem():waitkey(); both negative?

But for now, unfortunately I have just discovered a further bug that caused a MAV(!) when toggling the "ghost" cheat off (maybe also in other situations, so I better fix this right now). It was caused by some attempts to fix an other bug, mentioned just in my previous post (crazy HUD bug). At least it was easy to fix. I uploaded yet another version this time hopefully stabile. The updated Game Construction Kit is online, the game will be later this evening or so, I'll make a notice right here.

Thanks again for your help.

BladeRunner(Posted 2010) [#42]
Both Values are negative for me, about 1.8 billion bytes. My graphicscard has 512mb VRAM and 2302mb total RAM, and I think this causes the problem.
A simple Workaround may be to check if TotalVidMem()&$7fffffff = TotalAvailMem() which means the Memory of the Card is small enough. If Memory is to great just use the masked value instead.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#43]
Thanks a lot for testing. I'll fix this with the next update.

Latest Game Version (finally 100% bugfree ;) ) is online.

RemiD(Posted 2011) [#44]
Hi, :)

@jfk>>How do you manage to have an "animated lightmap" in the demo CSP secretofmanes.

See this screenshot :

The light on the walls is from a lightmap but it flickers! so i was wondering how you achieved this effect (i really like this effect, i want the same !)

Do you modify the scale of the lightmap texture randomly, or do you modify the color of your mesh randomly ?

Thanks,