Community Forums/Showcase/Beat Ball 2 - v1.2.0 released

Imphenzia(Posted 2010) [#1]
A new version of Beat Ball 2 (v1.2.0) is available:
http://www.beatball2.com/files/BeatBall2.zip

Some of the new changes to the new version:
* The internet high scores require this version
* Internet high scores are no longer limited to 100 entries
* Two new in-game songs added
* Internet high scores are submitted even if you don't qualify to local highscores
* Alt-tab from windowed mode does not lock mouse
* Alt-tab from windowed mode automatically pauses game
* Game performs a health check and can provide a warning if internet high scores cannot be reached

Feel free to drop by the brand new web site for the game:
http://www.beatball2.com

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#2]
Seems like you put a lot of work into this game. Even if it's not really the type of game I'd buy, I know this classic genre and I know that it is really fun to play. In an arcade hall sitation or Pub or so it makes much more sense than any FPS or something like that.

Now that you got this polished product you only need to do marketing, advertisement, polish doorknobs, again and again.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#3]
This is a very polished looking game, good luck with it, I spent some time on games of this genre.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#4]
Web site down?

Imphenzia(Posted 2010) [#5]
jfk: My marketing strategy is what fails bigtime... Like many other developers (I think) I basically sit an refresh the website stats and wonder why so few visit =) Have you got any suggestions when it comes to advertisement, I am truly lost in the matter.

Blitzplotter: Thanks!

_Skully: I've just moved to Binero (a new web hotel) and they've had great uptime for years until I decide to release the new beatball2.com website. They had a maintenance window yesterday that was supposed to be "unnoticeable" - but it resulted in a one hour down period, doh.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2010) [#6]
Are you still doing game music and whats the license for using your music in a driving game? :) I have a driving game lined up in the future and was thinking of you. I can't afford big bucks though :)

Imphenzia(Posted 2010) [#7]
Hi Robert - I'm definitely doing music, that's my primary area of focus - gaming is just a side project =)

I do both non-exclusive and exclusive music and the rates are explained on the website (http://www.imphenzia.com/soundtrack). They are quite competitive but for some very low budget games exclusive music may be out of reach but I could make non-exclusive music somewhat custom for what you'd need if that would be of interest.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#8]
Imphenzia - if you really want to sell it, go out and do some guerilla web marketing. Ok, it isn't really something people like to see. I mean, Admins and so on. Usually Ads cost money, and when you drop in somewhere and tell everybody about a product - you will be kicked often. It's a matter of finding a good balance between community contribution and Advertisement. For example you may put Videos on youtube to show people some special moves and tricks in your game, that are not explained in the official docs or so. But youtube alone wont be enough. You really should offer your game on as many shareware servers as possible. There is a certain percentage of people who actually buy it after the download. It's up to you to spread it. It would also be nice to get some kind of sensational mentioning in news media, or get a top rank on youtube,eg. by your dog or cat, playing trough level one, or something like that.

You may also offer paper magazines with cover disks to publish your trial version for free. Just tell all of them about the possibility. Usually they only publish things when a company pays for ads in the magazine, but sometimes they have to fill the disk.

And never forget that publishing it on blitzbasic isn't really marketing, that's more of a elite ;) community thing. So think big, think masses. The Web is, unlike TV, Radio and Papers not monodirectional, but bidirectional, that's a chance.