TCP/IP Worms networking Game

Community Forums/Showcase/TCP/IP Worms networking Game

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi folks. I've been working with a little TCP/IP code (in Blitz3D) which basically consists of a Worms Server (which can be auto-started by the first client if it is not running) which can have up to 10 (maybe 20) clients attached to it.

The Server maintains a copy of where all the client worms are, their score (basically how long they've been alive) & if they've expired or not.

No collision detection invoked yet, my aspiration is to release a 'mopped up' version of the code to the coding archives so blitzers can see an example of how to hold 20 players data within a 512 byte packet (Using 20 bytes per player).

Last edited 2010

Last edited 2010

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2010) [#2]
Sounds like a cool concept.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#3]
@ImaginaryHuman, thanks,just invoked logic to detect when a worm gets fried on a wall at the client. Next, invoking client to client 'crash' detection (on the server) & make the server kill the clients that 'crash'.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2010) [#4]
I think most folks would be more impressed if this was wrapped up into a nice-looking game with proper graphics?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#5]
@ImaginaryHuman, yeah - that'll be the (err-hem) easy bit of polish. I'm kinda working on getting the structure of the Server/Client relationship playing nicely together first - all in B3D!

Its kinda fun just popping into the different clients and changing the direction of a client, kinda like art in progress. Toying with the idea of a 'life' sim thing with it.... Bit more logic required for that though.

Last edited 2010