Fire effect for 'detonate'

Community Forums/Showcase/Fire effect for 'detonate'

Mark Judd(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi All,

Just a quick update - uploaded a vid of some new footage from detonate :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od5VaJ5RahU

Any and all comments welcome.
Created in B3D, with JV-ODE and more recently TimelineFX.

The fire in the vid is very aggresive, and all materials are combustible (not realistic, but makes for a better image i think). You have the option to choose between realistic fire propagation or arcade style when you play.

Working on a fire-fighter scenario, already have a first person view complete with hose (fnarrr) where you can enter the burning buildings and extinguish the flames with water.

Could well become a standalone game where you have to rescue people, etc.

cheers,

Mark

EDIT : Jan 2011 : Have released a free update to the detonate game which includes the fire effects and new projectiles :-

and a youtube vid showing the new effects :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2dMT-DCsw8

Once again, thanks to all the friendly people here for help and advice and a special thanks to VIP3R for his unceasing help and support with JV-ODE.

Mark

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

MCP(Posted 2010) [#2]
Quite an interesting idea Mark. This has got some potential.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2010) [#3]
..it does look interesting, but i think flame meshes used for animated texture, ruining feeling a bit since their shape is easy noticable..other than that, looking very very interesting to me..have you try to play with blending modes for flame meshes?

Ian Thompson(Posted 2010) [#4]
Very good, I like the effect it's very impressive!

Ian Thompson(Posted 2010) [#5]
Very good, I like the effect it's very impressive!

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#6]
burning plus physics is really cool

josk(Posted 2010) [#7]
This looks very good, I really like how the building collapses.

Pete Rigz(Posted 2010) [#8]
Like it :)

It would be interesting to see it with lightblend, but maybe that'd be too intense. Maybe you could put a single orange coloured "glow" sprite in the centre of each fire and just set that alone to lightblend, and you could adjust it's alpha depending on the amount of heat.

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#9]
Watched the vid. The fire looks good! i like how it spreads and drops debris!

Mark Judd(Posted 2010) [#10]
Hi - lost my internet for a couple of days there - sorry for the delay, cheers for the comments.

@Naughty Alien - re:flame meshes v. textured quads - i know what you mean, but with really big buildings the flame poly count soon creeps up, and even with the single surface stuff i'm doing it can impact on the framerate.

@Pete Rigz - I have messed with the lighting / blending quite a bit - but found that the z-order issues with multiple alpha'd meshes caused me trouble (think building geometry + flames + smoke) all single surface entities 'popping' in and out.

Will post some more vids soon showing the fire effect on taller buildings - lots of fun !

cheers,

Mark

*(Posted 2010) [#11]
Love the crumbling building BUT PLEASE use a particle engine for the fire effect I think a vid with that instead of cones/cylinders would be WAAAY more impressive.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#12]

Love the crumbling building BUT PLEASE use a particle engine for the fire effect I think a vid with that instead of cones/cylinders would be WAAAY more impressive.

I agree :)

Mark Judd(Posted 2010) [#13]
Hi,

Fire now rendered using particles :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVtwzXbv4g4

Thanks for the prompt, this does look much better as you said.
I do remember trying this approach early on with the project, but was never happy with it. I'm glad you pushed me to try it again !

cheers,

Mark

ICECAP(Posted 2010) [#14]
Yeah that looks SOOO much better!
Gets two thumbs up from me. :D

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#15]
Nice... Makes me feel like burning my own house down for comparison! :P

Dabz

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2010) [#16]
Yes, been waiting to see if you were going to do anything further with the game, looking great !!!

Mark Judd(Posted 2011) [#17]
Hi all,

Have now updated the detonate game to include the fire effects and some other new stuff.
Edited first post to reflect these updates.

Lite version of game avaialble from my site (only limitation is no building creator) if you fancy having a go at destroying some structures.

Sincere thanks to everyone for all for your help.

Mark

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#18]
That looks completely awesome now. The fire reflecting in the water is really nice too.

Have you ever approached any demolition companies to see if there was any interest in a training simulator? I bet you could rake in some serious money if there was...

Mark Judd(Posted 2011) [#19]
Thanks!

I am talking to a company at the moment who use software to train emergency personnel.
I've agreed to do a demo where you are trapped in a burning building and you have to escape.

Hopefully something will come of it.

Cheers,

Mark

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2011) [#20]
Quote - The fire in the vid is very aggresive, and all materials are combustible (not realistic, but makes for a better image i think).

Mark,

Is there any way to adjust what the fire can or can't burn or combustion level ?

Mark Judd(Posted 2011) [#21]
Hi,

Yes, on the in-game GUI, there are three icons centre bottom, they have two blocks (supposed to be wood and metal). You can choose between no fire, only wood burning, or all elements burning by selecting between these three buttons.

Hope this helps.

Mark.

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2011) [#22]
Ah OK, thought they were for fire propagation speed or something entirely different than that. Thanks.

Mark Judd(Posted 2011) [#23]
Yay !

The update made it onto the PC-Gamer news section.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/01/18/detonate-update-adds-extra-kersplode/

with a fan made youtube vidoe :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NECOilXvFcI&feature=player_embedded

They seem to like it.

Is it just me or does the guilt of shameless self promotion wear off after a little while ? (normally as the orders start coming in)

Mark

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

MCP(Posted 2011) [#24]
Congratulations Mark! :)

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2011) [#25]
Mark,

Did you get my e-mail about the issue I was having with the buildings starting to break apart as soon as they are loaded without you ever doing anything in-game ?

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2011) [#26]
Won't let me edit the last post, getting "Internal Error: so sorry for the double-post:

Mark,

You can usually just hit 'R' to reset at the start after loading a building & it will be OK then, but not always, sometimes have to hit 'R' to reset several times before it stops breaking at the start.

Mark Judd(Posted 2011) [#27]
Hi Dan,

Sorry if I've misssed your mail - I do think I know what you're talking about.

Are you by any chance running a 64 bit operating system ?

When you get a moment, try modifying the properties of the detonate .exe file to run in compatibilty mode for XP SP3 and see if the structures still fail on loading.

I had a couple of reports of 64 bit systems with this problem, but must admit I thought I'd fixed it.

cheers,

Mark

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2011) [#28]
Yup, I am running Windows 7 64-Bit. Interesting, what's the issue with 64-bit OS ?

Mark Judd(Posted 2011) [#29]
Hi,

Unsure at the minute.
VIP3R is the expert on ODE - kindly he has offered to help me look into it further.

Suspect it may be to do with the heavy optimisations I've made with the physics engine, and the 64 bit OS is more 'accurate' hence the joint failings where they hold together on 32 bit systems.

Before releasing the update I became aware of this problem while testing so I scaled back some of the corner cutting (at the cost of some fps) which seemed to fix the problem on the 64 bit test machine I use.

But obviously not enough !

Let me know if the XP compatibility change does the trick.

Mark

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2011) [#30]
Yup, the XP compatibility seems to have fixed it. I can't believe I didn't try that first, getting lazy in my old age :^P