Media Protector for the Ignition Framework

Community Forums/Showcase/Media Protector for the Ignition Framework

Playniax(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi Guys,

For people who bought the framework here is a free tool I wrote for it. It's called the Media Protector and you can use it to protect your media files (e.g. graphics, sound etc...) when distributing you products. I used it for Defenstar. Windows version only for now, Mac version up in a few days I hope.

BUT BE CAREFUL! Using Media Protector can result in loss of data if you lose your encryption key so ALWAYS keep a backup of your source files. SO USE AT OWN RISK!!!

Media protector is a good alternative for using BlitzMax incbin that works fine, but makes your executables larger.

For encrypting / decrypting individual files you can use the frameworks functions iEncodeFile () / iDecodeFile ().

However, encrypting individual files can be a daunting task if you have a lot of them. To make this more easy you can use the Media Protector tool.

Basically it's choosing an encryption key, a source directory (the files to encrypt), an output directory (where the encrypted files go), push 'ENCRYPT TO OUTPUT' button and let Media Protector do all the work. Files already encrypted by Media Protector will be ignored.

Files encrypted with Media Protector can be loaded with the frameworks iDecoder_LoadAnimImage (), iDecoder_LoadAudioSample (), iDecoder_LoadImage (), iDecoder_LoadImageFont (), iDecoder_LoadPixmap (), iDecoder_LoadSound () funtions in the same way as the corresponding BlitzMax functions. The framework automatically recognizes if a file is encrypted or not.

Media Protector currently supports the following Files : PNG, BMP, JPG, OGG, WAV, TTF

Direct download

SLotman(Posted 2010) [#2]
Wouldn't the zipstream module be much more pratical than this?

Just password protect the zip, add "zip::", call SetZipStreamPasssword with your zip file and password, and it's working with all formats blitzmax supports... probably even work with minib3d!

Playniax(Posted 2010) [#3]
Depends on the situation.

For Defenstar I needed my media to be single files and I needed an update function by the internet so I wrote a lot of stuff to encode / compress it.

I just decided to share one the tools I used. Maybe it's helpful to some people.

At the end it's just another way of doing stuff.

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#4]
How does this go when applied to portals, as far as I can recall, Gfk had problems with incbin with magicville when wrapping it up for Big Fish Games... I know its not the same same (With yours being external), but, have you got any feedback when packaging a game for such companies?

tar

Dabz

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#5]
How does this go when applied to portals, as far as I can recall, Gfk had problems with incbin with magicville when wrapping it up for Big Fish Games...

Do you recall what was the problem, exactly? (or even better, if GfK himself could answer this)

Last edited 2010

therevills(Posted 2010) [#6]
I believe the problem with Gfk was a memory (using too much RAM) / time (taking too long to load) issue when Blitz was loading the resources... as all the files were included in the exe.

The way Playniax has done it, the files are still individual files with this encryption feature.

Ive used a packer (eg sounds.pak) recently and its been fine with the portals...

Last edited 2010

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#7]
Ah, right, thanks therevills me auld fruit!

Just wondering that's all! ;)

Dabz