Star Sentinel Tactics - Full Source For Sale

Community Forums/Showcase/Star Sentinel Tactics - Full Source For Sale

Gabriel(Posted 2010) [#1]
I've just had a client "postpone" a project, losing me (temporarily, at the very least) more money than I can really afford to lose at the moment, so I'm selling off non-exclusive copies of the source code to Star Sentinel Tactics in the hope of making up the difference until my next project begins.

For those not in the know, SST (http://www.starsentineltactics.com) is a 3D turn-based tactics game currently in the process of being released on various distributors. As far as the code side of things goes, it's some of the best work I've ever done, and it has a lot of things I'm very proud of. Such things would include:

* A complete dynamic shadow system using HLSL (DX9) and an accompanying framework in BlitzMax.
* A complete set of HLSL surface shaders, including normal mapping, water, wormhole, outline effects.
* Integration of a Lua VM, and a framework which allows the entire "gameplay" to be scripted in Lua.
* A very well-crafted GUI system which includes complex controls, and resolution independence.
* A really nice timing framework which runs the logic at a fixed rate and uses render tweening for smooth render updates.
* A basic lightmapper, which was never actually used in the game.
* A pretty complex set of tools which were used to create the game. Level editor, character editors, object editors, etc.
* A breadth-first pathfinding implementation.
* An AI framework and a set of AI support functions.
* A resoure manager which reference count resources (eg: textures, models, sounds, etc) and duplicates internal references instead of loading duplicate data.
* An abstract file system which indexes and searches through any number of archives (eg:zip) looking for the resource you request without the programmer actually having to indicate which archive it is in or where it is. Once found, the resource is loaded, exactly as if it were unpacked on the hard drive. Optional support for encryption of archives.
* A lot of DX9/Truevision 3D support code. Plus all the source to my TV3D wrapper, obviously.
* A copy of the game. In order that you have all the graphics and sound which come with the game.
* Lots of other cool things that I forgot three or four years ago. An enormous game framework with about four years of work in it.
* Some support, help and advice from me. I'll do what I can, in my spare time. See the list of things you don't get for clarification.

I also want to be clear about what you would NOT be getting. You would not get:

* Intellectual property of any kind beyond the source code. Specifically, you don't get rights to names, characters, artwork, likenesses, sound effects, music, or anything else connected with the game. I couldn't give you most of that even if I wanted to. You can't hit compile and then resell the game. If you replace all the IP with your own IP, then maybe you can.
* Exclusivity. I'd rather five or ten people had it for $1k each than one person had it for $10k.
* Source redistribution rights. It's for your eyes only. You can use any code you like in a compiled program. You cannot sell the source or give it away.
* Rights, royalties, etc to my game. The game is out there. It's mine. The source code is here. It could be yours. There's no crossover.
* A compilable game. You're getting source code to read, learn from, and maybe even strip out and use. Recompiling the game might be possible (if you have licenses, permissions and everything set up right) but I'm not selling it for this purpose.
* A Truevision3D license. Or Bass. Only my code is being sold.
* Me writing your game for you. I'll help, advise and discuss where I can, in my spare time, because I enjoy talking about game development, but within reason.
* Any rights to any of the modules I used. I use a couple of Brucey's, Andreas Rozek's fantastic Lua module, GMan's zipengine, and maybe one or two others. They're all great, they're all free, and you don't need me to get them.
* Anything that isn't source code. If you're not sure, ask me. My email address is in my profile, and contrary to impressions I seem to give on these forums, I don't actually bite.
* My soul. I lost it in San Francisco. Plus you wouldn't have wanted it. It was black.

Basically, the value of this would be to read, learn, borrow pieces, rip pieces, maybe even strip it down and make your own similar engine with it. If you're serious about game development and you use BlitzMax, there has to be a wealth of material in here which would interest you.

It's $1,000 USD, and it's non-negotiable. I won't split it either. I much prefer PayPal or a UK cheque. Email me first though (address in profile) because I want to be 100% clear that people know what they're getting before money changes hands.

I have a couple of SST collectors items I was going to give away in a contest for direct sales, but the distribution agreement means that I can't sell direct any more. The first two buyers can have one each.

Last edited 2010

Last edited 2010

Last edited 2010

puki(Posted 2010) [#2]
Oooh, BlitzMax source - good luck with selling that.

If it had been Blitz3D, you probably would have sold 10 copies.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#3]
I'd buy it with your soul included - wait I minute, I already got that one - was a nice time back then in "frisco", wasn't it?

It's really impressive work and I wish you good luck with it. From time to time I was asking myself if it may be a good idea to exclusively sell a project in an auction, eg. on ebay. To send invitation for the auction to some Publishers and Potential buyers. You still could set a minimum price.

Last edited 2010

MGE(Posted 2010) [#4]
$1k for the typical user on this site is about 900.00 too much.

Gabriel(Posted 2010) [#5]
@Puki: Indubitably.

@JFK: Glad to hear you're looking after my soul. Thanks for the generous words.

@MGE: In that case, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the two "atypical" users who have taken me up on the offer so far. They helped turn a pretty vile month into a very tolerable one. It appears as though I'm "on vacation" until after Xmas now, so they have access to more support than I originally envisaged over the next few weeks, assuming that they actually want any.

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#6]
Interesting, though, damn provvy woman wouldnt oblige with the $1k for my copy! bah

Hehehe

Seriously though, I'm pleased you got some buyers there!

Dabz

MGE(Posted 2010) [#7]
wow!... congrats on the sales.