Go outside and mow the planet

Community Forums/Showcase/Go outside and mow the planet

Warpy(Posted 2010) [#1]
Yet again I am taking advantage of a quiet weekend to post some trivia.
a tiny game in .bmx form (now also in aren't-you-tall .exe form!)

Left-click to move your dude thing, right-click can pan about but why bother, maybe the aim is to mow all the grass.

There's zilch here gameplay-wise, but there's loads of clever maths going on, so I felt the need to post it before I get tired of it. Everything is done with quaternions. There's an invisible icosahedral quadtree storing the grass, with the aim of making neighbourhood checks a bit quicker. I'm not sure if it actually does though.

If anyone ever needs some quaternion functions, I've got dot and cross product, multiplication, rotation, angle between, rotate around point, SLERP, random point picking, halfspace (circle on surface) drawing, in spherical triangle and in halfspace routines worked out.

This isn't me falling off the deep end, I'm going to add some sheep and things later, but I've got to go to a film premiere now! Toodles!

UPDATE:
I've added some farms and sheep. Press F to start a farm (basically a circle where grass grows quickly) and press S to put some sheep down. The sheep like to eat the grass. The sheep don't flock properly at the moment, but they flock in their own special way.

Last edited 2010

Last edited 2010

Last edited 2010

puki(Posted 2010) [#2]
There's zilch here gameplay-wise

Should have used Blitz3D.

This isn't me falling off the deep end, I'm going to add some sheep and things later, but I've got to go to a film premiere now! Toodles!

I'll take two fruit lobsters and the soothing, caramel, effect of the soft yawn of a piglet returning via chaos theory from the hairs on the back of a mint-blue alsatian.

Chow.

Last edited 2010

BlitzSupport(Posted 2010) [#3]
Strangely enjoyable.

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#4]
Nice, it's like super starust HD - lawnmower edition. Now for some gameplay! Maybe a time limit, and dodging baddies, + powerups?

therevills(Posted 2010) [#5]
Heres the exe (OpenGL) for anyone without BlitzMax:

https://sites.google.com/site/therevillsgames/blitz/mowtheplanet.zip

(Added:

Framework BRL.GLMax2D

Import BRL.Math
Import BRL.Random
Import BRL.StandardIO

To reduce the exe file size :)
)

Cool effect there Warpy :)

Last edited 2010

taumel(Posted 2010) [#6]
I like to watch how everything rotates arond the globe.

Warpy(Posted 2010) [#7]
Updated with sheep and farms.

Jesse(Posted 2010) [#8]
I got a MAV after trying to populate the planet with a bunch of sheep so I wouldn't have to mow the Planet. ;)

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#9]
could you put the camera on the 'planet' and explore first person?

how would you put land and sea on there?

Last edited 2010