Math Forever (new minigame!)

Community Forums/Showcase/Math Forever (new minigame!)

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#1]

I made a Math minigame this weekend to help train my boys up. The bulk of it took about 8 hours and then I tweaked it a bit afterwards. It was a fun mini-gamejam for me too :-)

It's an arcade-style maths game where you have to type answers to the questions as fast as you can before the timer runs out. Each level requires you to get more answers right (up to a max of 10), and the questions get harder, and your time reduces by 5 seconds (down to a minimum of 15 seconds). If you can get past level 11 then you must be extremely good because I can't get to level 12 yet and I made the game!

This is what it looks like:

And here are the downloads:

Windows: http://www.greyaliengames.com/minigames/MathForever.zip (2.25Mb)
Max OS: http://www.greyaliengames.com/minigames/MathForever.dmg (2.46Mb - Intel Only)

Check out my final score and level above whilst playing on the "all of the above" mode.

***Can you beat it? Post a screenshot.***

(Note that you can type answers on the numeric keypad as well.)

Last edited 2011

Warpy(Posted 2010) [#2]

First go, I finished level 12 and then suffered a finger failure. I'll try again when I'm awake.

Fun game, but I wouldn't recommend this for helping your kids really understand arithmetic. There are a lot of patterns and 'tricks' for doing arithmetic with bigger (or more complicated decimal) numbers that they won't notice, doing things at this pace. How old are they?

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#3]
Ha, I was hoping you'd try it out :-) Great achievement getting that far (and have 2 seconds on the clock to boot!).

Kids are 6 and 9 and smart. I'm teaching them tricks too, this is just for practice and fun.

Last edited 2010

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#4]
Interesting approach and engaging method but the FONT has got to go!

Most of my time is not spend figuring out the answer but figuring out what numbers are being presented... particularly between 3 and 5... a 5 is not an S! ;)

oh...level 10 but i would have got higher if my son didnt come crying ;)

Last edited 2010

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#5]
Agree on the font, my youngest had trouble with it at first too. Also I need a divide sign instead of a /.

Last edited 2010

puki(Posted 2010) [#6]
I had a quick go:

I got to level 1188.

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#7]
Lol, I'm am very suspicious Puki, mainly because it's not possible to get a combo > 10 and your score would be huge. But good effort.

puki(Posted 2010) [#8]
Bug?

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#9]
I wouldn't call you that!

TaskMaster(Posted 2010) [#10]
LOL puki.

Funny your score screen looks exactly like Grey's, except for a couple additional 8's. What a coincidence.

puki(Posted 2010) [#11]
Wouldn't happen if were coded in Blitz3D.

These fly-boys and their BlitzMax code - it just lowers the tone of the whole place when it goes wrong like this.

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#12]
I'm gonna try this, your other mini game was fun! :)

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#13]
Another neat little game! Got to level 9 my first try, but I could only see half the screen on my mini netbook. I'll have to have my kids give it a play! :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#14]
Thanks for trying it. At least this was windowed mode and so didn't crash your netbook.

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#15]
A co-worker (who I'm now suspecting may not be human) just cruised through the game to get a massive score:

TaskMaster(Posted 2010) [#16]
Looks like the co worker used a go fast, don't worry about wrong answers method.

Also, probably knows how to 10-key like a god.

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#17]
Plus when I saw him looking at the sums, they had barely flashed up before he entered the answers, he was damn good. Made me look sluggish ;-)

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#18]
Very good and I enjoy it but I need be quicker as I got up to Level 7 :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#19]
Keep practicing! ;-)