Early days of asteroids/caos clone

Community Forums/Showcase/Early days of asteroids/caos clone

JBR(Posted 2010) [#1]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycCLh4VpWLE

Comments welcome.
Jim

Stevie G(Posted 2010) [#2]
Looks good - nice take on Zarch style landscapes. Explosions could be less overdone and have a wee bit of colour variation.

It was you who did the old Zarch clone with a flood type theme wasn't it?

*(Posted 2010) [#3]
Jeezus my eyes (acid trip lanscapes (tm) ) :) Nice game though

Tachyon(Posted 2010) [#4]
Wow, looks really cool. What a refreshing take on Asteroids.

JBR(Posted 2010) [#5]
@Stevie - yup still using Zarch style bits. (still using your 'bump' making code - enhanced of course :-)

I forgot to show it in the video but you can also play with the landscape rotating rather than the player.

Kind of lacking direction atm, but thanks for nice comments.

Jim

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#6]
Great looking asteroids game. Crazy visuals, I like it!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2010) [#7]
..very nice..

Foppy(Posted 2010) [#8]
Looking good! Maybe expand a bit on the asteroids idea, and add enemy bases that need to be destroyed, enemy fighters, a radar/pointer showing the location of the enemy base. Or maybe friendly bases and asteroid harvesters that need to be defended against space pirates. :)

Last edited 2010

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2010) [#9]
Hi Jim. It's a project very original and visually interesting. Landscape is a heightmap? How do you do it?

JBR(Posted 2010) [#10]
Hi Luis, there is a height & colour maps. I'll tell you more when I've finished it. :-)

Jim

MGE(Posted 2010) [#11]
Looks like a very cool tech demo...actually...amazing looking! But ...not so sure if that would be "fun" to play?

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#12]
This impressed me. I like your take on my all-time fave game.

matt!(Posted 2010) [#13]
Very cool.

Why limit the draw area to the circle?

JBR(Posted 2010) [#14]
So you can rotate the draw area rather then the player.

Jim

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#15]
Jim, very cool looking game. An excellent evolutio of the asteroids genre, to quote my 11 year old son "Whoa, that looks cool".

I remember playing one two plyer variant of the asteroids genre in an arcade a couple of decades ago - it had the option of a two player mode where both players were connected with a piece of digital string - would it be a strecth to incorporate this type of gameplay into your game as a 2 player mode ?

Last edited 2010

Playniax(Posted 2010) [#16]
Impressive!