Metagolf - Alpha Demonstration

Community Forums/Showcase/Metagolf - Alpha Demonstration

Armitage 1982(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi

Some of you may have noticed in the General discussion forum that I'm leaving my country for nearly a year this Saturday ( http://blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=91929 ).

Rather than keeping my Work In Progress around Metagolf locked in a drawer, today I release an Alpha Demo of my work.

Everything else is explained here: http://arm42.com/games/metagolf/download/

Remarks and comments are greatly appreciated though I won't be able to work anymore on the game right now as the download page explaining.

I created a working Installer for Windows and Linux (the Mac Os and PPC version is Zipped).
If someone can explain me why under Ubuntu the downloaded version of the Installer refuse to launch that would be nice :) (the Installer version I have created on my disk is launching correctly, so why !?! Do I need to zip it too?).

Thank you for trying and remember it's only a WIP (sadly).

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#2]
In fairness, you should take a little netbook with you so you can still knock a bit of programming out on them long journeys between places! ;)

Anyhoo, have a safe trip!

Dabz

plash(Posted 2010) [#3]
I created a working Installer for Windows and Linux (the Mac Os and PPC version is Zipped).
If someone can explain me why under Ubuntu the downloaded version of the Installer refuse to launch that would be nice :) (the Installer version I have created on my disk is launching correctly, so why !?! Do I need to zip it too?).
Testing now, but I would recommend either .deb/.rpm for Linux, or simply a .zip/.tar.gz as they are much easier to use and are not susceptible to the failure of an installer.

K, the installer works fine for me in Ubuntu 10.04.

EDIT: Also, this is pretty solid.

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#4]
Zip files loose the permission for Linux .exes. You could try a .tar.gz.

On Ubuntu, you can set the executable bit in the properties panel for the file (right click), but you mileage may vary on other distros.

Cheers
Charlie

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#5]
I love this game! thanks for releasing an alpha before your long journey! will try it out as soon as possible.