Developing my latest project

Community Forums/Showcase/Developing my latest project

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#1]
Well, I'm pleased to have imported Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) data from an XML file into my Blitz3D app from one of my training runs & displayed it using the excellent FastImage Lib (which is available here: http://fastlibs.com/libraries.php#fastimage ). The route below is roughly 4 miles of GPS data. I was trying to display the route in '3D' however I have got a little rusty so opted for 2D for now to see hoe accurate my Blitz3D importation was, I'm quite happy with it!

I scale the data dependant upon the size of the GUI that is requested. (;-)

Foppy(Posted 2010) [#2]
Hey that's cool.

Maybe you could show a (google) map underneath? :D

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#3]
@Foppy, good idea, had a few bugettes to iron out, had to import another 'run' as it turns out that was a 4 mile bike ride above. The image below is a 2.5 mile run I do now & then:-

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#4]
Very very cool man. That's sweet!

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#5]
Cheers Ross, I'm quite pleased with the outcome myself. Expected it to be a bit more complex than I imagined. I must say though, I'm also very impressed with Fastlib, which I used to plot the smileys.

elcoo(Posted 2010) [#6]
You got any plans what to do with that? Or is it just for fun?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#7]
I've got a few ideas with respect to doing some data display in 3D, this checks the validity of my running data. One thing I noted with my Garmin is when I try to look at any running data in google Earth, generally speaking google earth crashes on me. Think it might be due to the large amount of GPS that are squirreled away somewhere, not figured it out yet.

S'pose it mighta been just for fun, a challenge if you like, however I still may use my .dat file to display a 3D version of the route.

Also, this would provide a method to see your different running routes in different colours as opposed to the black dots that appear in google earth, if I write that functionality!

A quite ambitious (but not impossible) option maybe to have a couple of different men running around the route indicating where you were on the 2 runs with respect to each training run, allowing the user to see visually where he 'passed' himself.

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2010) [#8]
This makes an excellent puzzle, and really shows what a nerd I am. I found the town and route, and even found the bike route! I won't reveal it for privacy's sake, but the bike route is turned 90 degrees clockwise, right?

This gives me an idea for a game; it goes to google maps and gets a random satellite image (at about the same zoom as your image above). The score is based on how long it takes the player to type in the nearest town name. With simultaneous server-based play, all the players could be fed the same image at the same time; first right response wins.

Anyway, nice work importing gps data. Toward the end of the route the smileys should start looking more and more tired. :-)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#9]
yeah, the orientation is a bit screwed on the top one. Also, the keener sighted of you (may) have noticed the smileys are 'upside down'. Yeah another little bugette that is not a massive one to fix

(think i Need to do a y=(Appheight-(frigged longitude, or is it latitude...)) God knows how I got it this far, you can't be hacking on a fag packet... without the fag packet!

I was just pleased that the import of Garmin .xml data to my B3D.dat file worked so well!

Anyway, nice work importing gps data. Toward the end of the route the smileys should start looking more and more tired. :-)

Yeah, half way through the Smiley defo should not b e smiling anty more, and the 'smileys' at the end could also have pools of sweat around the bottom(;-)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#10]
Just coded the 3D cubes in one of the fast libs Demos so they appear along the route. Next, to scale the cubes vertically dependant on heart rate or speed.