Mano Trooper

Community Forums/Showcase/Mano Trooper

Foppy(Posted 2010) [#1]
I have finished my game Mano Trooper, a remake of Paratrooper. It was programmed in Blitz Max.

Direct download link: manotrooper.zip (3.6 MB)

You have to shoot down helicopters, paratroopers, jets and bombs. Each shot costs 1 point, so in order to get a nice score some careful aiming is required. There are two dogs who will attack landed soldiers but after each attack they will sleep for a while. Four landed soldiers will start creating a human pyramid, and after that it's game over! The only way to take out a landed soldier is to have another paratrooper fall on them.

Controls are left and right arrow keys for aiming, and Z (or Y or space) to shoot.

The music is by coda (coda.s3m.us).

Here's a picture:

Edit:

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNX8SFWHjEI

Video of original Paratrooper: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP5aA055Ous

Sauer(Posted 2010) [#2]
I love the style of your games, Foppy, as soon as I get around a Windows box I'll give it a try. Congrats on finishing it!

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2010) [#3]
Any chance of a mac build? I can do it for you if needs be.

Jesse(Posted 2010) [#4]
nice game. nice retro music and sounds. Maybe the graphics should also have a more retro feel also, just a thought. I don't like the scoring system but otherwise I like it.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#5]
Great game!

therevills(Posted 2010) [#6]
Cool game Foppy...

I agree with Jesse that the scoreing seems off and its pretty hard to get a decent score... my best so far (after 3 games) is 15...

Foppy(Posted 2010) [#7]
Thanks all!

John, a Mac version would be great. I suppose I would need a Mac myself to create one. Or could I send you the source code?

At first my version was about shooting down everything with a rain of bullets, I did not yet have the scoring system in place. I had to throw lots of enemies at the player to make it even remotely difficult.

However I wanted to add the scoring system of the original game, were you lose one point for every shot, to encourage more of a "sharp shooter" playing style. But the gun is still able to fire a lot of bullets, so it's now up to the player to refrain from doing that. Perhaps in this respect the game is difficult now, as beginning players actually need lots of bullets to survive and therefore never get a high score...

therevills(Posted 2010) [#8]

therefore never get a high score...

Are you saying 15 isnt a high score? ;P

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#9]
Wow you got 15?

*bows to the master*

kragoth74(Posted 2010) [#10]
Nice one, Foppy. Now get back to work and finish Ranger... ;-)

markcw(Posted 2010) [#11]
Looks cool Foppy. I can help with Mac ppc, Mac intel and/or Linux builds.

Pete Rigz(Posted 2010) [#12]
I got 61 :P

When the little guys landed ok, I thought they'd run up and plant a bomb or something :)

Gabriel(Posted 2010) [#13]
John, a Mac version would be great. I suppose I would need a Mac myself to create one. Or could I send you the source code?

I'm pretty sure Brucey recently posted some instructions on how to get BCC and MinGW to spit out Mac versions on Windows.

Foppy(Posted 2010) [#14]
The high scores mentioned so far are now outdated (compared to the new download) as I have changed the points!

helicopter: 3 (was 1, which is not much considering each shot also costs 1 point!)
paratrooper: 3 (was 2)
jet: 5 (was 3)
bomb: 5 (was 3)

This means it's easier to get nice scores instead of staying so close to 0.

I'm pretty sure Brucey recently posted some instructions on how to get BCC and MinGW to spit out Mac versions on Windows.
Thanks, I will have a look. (Because it would be easiest if I can do this on my own computer, for instance in the case of an update.)

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#15]
Thanks, I will have a look. (Because it would be easiest if I can do this on my own computer, for instance in the case of an update.)
Brucey's method doesn't allow you to create OS X programs from Windows. It allows you to create Windows programs from Linux or OS X.

Gabriel(Posted 2010) [#16]
Brucey's method doesn't allow you to create OS X programs from Windows. It allows you to create Windows programs from Linux or OS X.

That's not what I was referring to. The comment he made was about building for Mac without actually having a Mac. The only doubt I have is whether he was talking about building for PPC Mac from an Intel Mac. It wasn't about building for Windows though. I know what you're referring to there, and that's not what I was reading.

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#17]
Cool little game, I like the style.

One thing that annoyed me is that I can't move the turret whilst shooting. Also, I can't do precise aiming (is this intended?) but I guess that adds to the challenge.

Congrats!

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#18]
The turret needs to be moveable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_TjC5Lgxl4

Apart from that great job.

Foppy(Posted 2010) [#19]
The C64 game Paratroopers is actually a different game than the DOS game Paratrooper, I also played the C64 game (20 years ago) and enjoyed it quite a bit. Sadly there's no moving base in my game! :)

Here's a YouTube movie I just made of my game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNX8SFWHjEI

This is the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP5aA055Ous

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2010) [#20]
Sure Foppy send it over. Mail address in my profile.

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#21]
Nice, I love old games like this! I made one similar to this a couple years back...
http://www.hsretrogames.com/info_cfire07.htm

I visited your website. You've got some cool looking retro games. I like your graphics style. I'm gonna go try some of this stuff.

Taron(Posted 2010) [#22]
AAHHH, the music is wonderful! Awesome job to Coda! But he didn't use musagi, did he?! Hahaha... I was kinda giddy, reading that you've done the sfx with DrPetter's lil' fx app.
The game's a blast!
ROCK ON!

(I, too, think the gfx could've been taken to yet another level, either for authentisity or style, but it doesn't hurt at all the way it is!)

Foppy(Posted 2010) [#23]
Yes, great music isn't it?

I found his music through this website http://indiegamemusic.com which was mentioned on the forum a while ago.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#24]
This is an extremely addictive game.

Foppy(Posted 2010) [#25]
With the help of John Galt I have now added a Mac OS X download (.dmg file) for this game to my homepage!

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2010) [#26]
Thanks for responding to the call from us Mac users, Foppy!

taumel(Posted 2010) [#27]
From the gameplay it reminds me of those Beach Head games on the C64.
I know someone who would be very interested in it, could you compile a PPC version as well? If you don't have the option to, i could do that.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#28]
Floppy, I am still playing this game and I appreciate the newer version with different scoring. I also downloaded your other games and I love them too. All of them are a lot of fun and have a high replay value for me.

hat's not what I was referring to.
You said: I'm pretty sure Brucey recently posted some instructions on how to get BCC and MinGW to spit out Mac versions on Windows.

The comment he made was about building for Mac without actually having a Mac.
Exactly, which is why I clarified your reply as Brucey's method does not allow for compiling for OS X from a non Mac system.

It wasn't about building for Windows though.
Nobody said it was, but you brought up Brucey's method and that is exactly what Brucey's method does, it only builds for Windows from non Windows systems. :(

therevills(Posted 2010) [#29]
Just tried this with the new scoring... 219 :)

Whats everyones highest score?

BTW Foppy you can use the BlitzMax's command "Appterminate()" to check when the window's close button has been clicked eg:

While Not Appterminate()
   ' game code
Wend

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#30]
I am not close to 219... yet ;)

Foppy(Posted 2010) [#31]
Thanks GaryV for the compliments.

Yes Therevills, I just realized that I have a non-working close button there, thanks for pointing out which command to use. This would mean the Mac version has to be updated too! ;) I also forgot to explain in the game that Escape can be used to end it.

Taumel, I might send you an e-mail later today or tomorrow about this PPC version!

dynaman(Posted 2010) [#32]
I love the art style, retro but very nicely done.

taumel(Posted 2010) [#33]
@Foppy
Okay...i would have some time this evening. ;O)

Sung(Posted 2010) [#34]
Very good Foppy
Looks like a perfect game. I like the graphics very much!

Foppy(Posted 2010) [#35]
Thanks to Taumel my website now also offers an OS X PPC version!

Blitzblaster(Posted 2010) [#36]
Nice little game Foppy! Fine!

WERDNA(Posted 2010) [#37]
Must download this as soon as I get a chance. Looks awesome!

WERDNA(Posted 2010) [#38]
Very fun game Foppy!

I'm always a big fan of the classics :)
(And must check out more of your games, if this is any indication of their quality)

Highscore 144 ;)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2010) [#39]
Another fun game from Foppy :D