Magicville released for Mac

Community Forums/Showcase/Magicville released for Mac

GfK(Posted 2010) [#1]
Following on from the PC version which was released in May 2010, Big Fish Games have just released the Mac version of Magicville: Art of Magic.

Go here: http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/8693/mac/magicville-art-of-magic/index.html

Quite a warm fuzzy feeling to finally get something released multi-platform. Anyway, the obligatory screenshots:

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#2]
Congrats on getting the Mac port released!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2010) [#3]
COOL MAN.

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#4]
Oh la la lar! :D

Congrats Dave me auld fruit! :)

Dabz

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#5]
Nice man! Congratulations on a first for you, and hope you have good success with it.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2010) [#6]
Well done. Did you have to do much to get it all working properly on the Mac?

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#7]
Congrats!

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#8]
Did you have to do much to get it all working properly on the Mac?

+ What did you have to do to get it all working properly on the Mac?

PS: Congratz :)

GfK(Posted 2010) [#9]
Thanks.

To get it working on Mac, very little had to be changed. I'm a Mac noob and it took me a little over a day to get it working. The only stuff that needed changing, was the hacky stuff I added in for Windows to fix stuff like icons, folder permissions and the like.

You don't need any fancy icon-setting stuff - just change the icon within the .app file. I needed to convert my existing .ico to a .icns file, which is dead easy. Free tools are available.

Folder permissions was a non-issue, and I had to remove some code which added minimise/maximise buttons.

The only things I couldn't do, was change the desktop background. But I just took that feature out as it doesn't detract from (or add anything to) the game anyway. I also couldn't compile a universal binary - Brucey's tutorial on the subject worked fine, but I could not get MaxMod2 to compile - its DUMB module was trying to include a header file which didn't appear to be there. Was probably fixable but for the market percentage PPCs currently have, I didn't think it was worth the bother.

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#10]
Congrats on the Mac release. For me folder permissions was an issue. Where did you store your shared data? I too couldn't change the desktop background and had to take it out of Holiday Bonus :-( If you ever get that working, please post! To get on apple.com you have to have a Universal Binary I believe, I got that working (I had to buy an old PPC and compile it on that and then combined it with the Intel version on my Macbook Pro) but I didn't use MaxMod2.

Linux? ;-)

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#11]
To get on apple.com you have to have a Universal Binary I believe, I got that working (I had to buy an old PPC and compile it on that and then combined it with the Intel version on my Macbook Pro)

Come again? how did you combine the binaries?

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#12]
I made a PPC exe and an Intel exe on two differnt machines then ran a script to combine them into a UB on my Intel machine.

jondecker76(Posted 2010) [#13]
I too would be interested in a Linux version

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#14]
Thanks for the answer Grey. I've searched a bit more until I found out about the Lipo method to join both binaries.

therevills(Posted 2010) [#15]
I've searched a bit more until I found out about the Lipo method to join both binaries.

This might be a bit easier:

http://brucey.net/programming/blitz/mingw/index.html

This way you create both PPC app and the Intel app on an Intel Mac.

apple.com you have to have a Universal Binary I believe

When I released Gunslinger I only had a PPC version and they put that version on ;) (maybe because Intels can play PPC but not vice verus)

GfK(Posted 2010) [#16]

Tried all that but like I said, MaxMod2 didn't like it. And REDi doesn't seem to be about any more.

therevills(Posted 2010) [#17]
I was pointing it out for Kryzon ;)

What are you using MaxMod2 for? Is this the project:
http://code.google.com/p/maxmod/

GfK(Posted 2010) [#18]
Yep, and its MaxMod2.DUMB that's causing errors.

Fixing C++ code is beyond me, I'm afraid.

therevills(Posted 2010) [#19]
Ahhh so you are using it for music support (MOD, S3M, XM and IT)... cant you just convert you music into ogg format?

Looking at the history REDi did update it with 2 couple of issues only 6 days ago...

http://code.google.com/p/maxmod/updates/list

GfK(Posted 2010) [#20]
Ahhh so you are using it for music support (MOD, S3M, XM and IT)... cant you just convert you music into ogg format?
It is OGG format, but I need to use MaxMod so I can load the OGG file into a bank, and stream it from there to save on resources.

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#21]
I managed to get the music in my games to be short enough that it didn't take up much resources. 1-2 min loop, then free it up before loading in the next piece.

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#22]

Interesting as well :)

It is OGG format, but I need to use MaxMod so I can load the OGG file into a bank, and stream it from there to save on resources.

I guess you are loading it fully into the memory, right?
If it's for music, I'd suggest using a second thread to stream chunks of the file on the hard-disk.

therevills(Posted 2010) [#23]
Cool - In at No. 11 in the Mac Match 3 Charts.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#24]
Cool - In at No. 11 in the Mac Match 3 Charts.
Yep - if it goes up another place it'll break the Top 100.

Get your wallets out. :D

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#25]
Good for you!

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#26]
Very nice :)

How was dealing with BigFishGames? any advice you'd like to leave for the non-experienced?

GfK(Posted 2010) [#27]
How was dealing with BigFishGames? any advice you'd like to leave for the non-experienced?
They're great to deal with. I've had plenty of duff experiences in the past so it makes a pleasant change.

Advice, you say? OK...

My one biggest tip when dealing with publishers (any publisher - not any specific one) is to "cut the crap". Seriously - if you don't have a team, then don't pretend that you do. Every day I see "We this...", "My team that...". Oh, and a big no-no is do not pretend - EVER - to be CEO of some company that doesn't actually exist outside of the bedroom door. I know what I think when I see people doing that, so I'm sure they have similar thoughts about it, too.

[edit] woo! #10 in Match 3 chart today!

Unfortunately, everything else has jiggled about a bit too so Magicville is still nuzzling at the proverbial buttocks of the Top 100.

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#28]
Well let's hope Magicville can clamber up those buttocks and hold its head high.

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#29]
I had to buy an old PPC and compile it on that

Heh.. seriously? :-)

but I could not get MaxMod2 to compile - its DUMB module was trying to include a header file which didn't appear to be there.

Did I miss your original post on this? Got a link? I don't mind having a look at it.... (even tho it's probably a bit late now)

GfK(Posted 2010) [#30]
Did I miss your original post on this? Got a link? I don't mind having a look at it.... (even tho it's probably a bit late now)
No, I don't think I posted anything about it. The Mac version was already two months behind the PC one so getting it out was a bit urgent (I didn't even have a Mac until the PC version had sold enough for me to pay for one!)

I was attempting to use Maxmod2 v1.07, which is available here: http://code.google.com/p/maxmod/

If you can suss it out I can always release a PPC-compatible update but I'm really not stressing over it. :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#31]
Heh.. seriously? :-)
Well I thought that was the only way circa 2007.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2010) [#32]
Hows the cash ? I would be interested in big fish if it looks good.

therevills(Posted 2010) [#33]
Its good, Rob... Its good ;)

GfK(Posted 2010) [#34]
Yep, it good. :) Finally bought a Canon EOS 450D today that I've wanted for like four years now!

GfK(Posted 2010) [#35]
Woo! Just toddled into the Mac Top 100... at #100! :D

OK its hardly #1 but its still a nice milestone of achievement.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#36]
Congratulations GfK... now get over to monkeys and let dabz know your still alive LOL

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#37]
Nice one Dave.. Top 100!!! \o/ WAHEY

Ya pudding! :P Hehehe

;)

Dabz

therevills(Posted 2010) [#38]
Well Done Dave :)

BTW Why'd you buy a 4 year old camera? ;P