The Zone in HD - Leadwerks Engine

Community Forums/Showcase/The Zone in HD - Leadwerks Engine

JoshK(Posted 2010) [#1]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MgN0WkT_8g&hd=1

Please rate and comment. Share this on Facebook, Twitter, etc. Thanks!

puki(Posted 2010) [#2]
Looks mega-exciting.

Looks like STALKER - it is a bit like having a girlfriend that looks like "Rachel Lee Cook" - nobody cares that it isn't her as they both look the same, so you may as well be going out with "Rachel Lee Cook".

Oddball(Posted 2010) [#3]
Has a game been made using the the Leadwerks Engine yet? Or is it just for making scenery fly-throughs and physics tech demos?

Chroma(Posted 2010) [#4]
LE will definitely be part of my tools arsenal when I start up GRG in July 2011.

JoshK(Posted 2010) [#5]
Oddball, Hidden Dawn and Combat Helo are two good Leadwerks games scheduled for release in 2010.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2010) [#6]
Nice demo. To break through people making tech demos and reach more serious people you need a list of published games. It's chicken and egg.

My initial feeling is, run a competition. The dev team that first gets a leadwerks game published with steam will have their leadwerks license for free.

If anything, this will certainly encourage "game making" indies rather than the tech fanboys who just like to play at game-maker.

JoshK(Posted 2010) [#7]
We're designing Leadwerks 3.0 to make it easy for people to make real games without a lot of programming. You can dive into programming as deep as you want, or you can just work with scripted components that are provided. We'll also provide a library of scripted 3D models you can just drop into your game and let run. I've got a pretty good idea by now where people run into trouble, and I think we can make version 3.0 both easier and more powerful.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2010) [#8]
It does sound appealing, what stops me delving deeper is simply, there's no mac version and macs are on the up.

Rhodesy(Posted 2010) [#9]
I love the look of the engine, very detailed.

My only comment would be the camera pans... very fixed, liner... I think it needs a bit of a more natural feel to it...a bit shake'y ... not so fixed.

...if you get what I mean.

Other than that, looks great!

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#10]
Ya, the engine is fantastic but the choreography needs work...

Put some kid on controls and let them explore and record it... add some particle effects... an aircraft flyby... a volcano would be awesome :)

Honestly the engine looks fantastic but you need to market with more pizazz now... just IMHO

Robert Cummings(Posted 2010) [#11]
just put lots of nuns on the floor screaming and being dragged into corridors by those white things and slashdot it = win sales

Naughty Alien(Posted 2010) [#12]
..small image from upcoming game, PC version LE powered..im confident to say that LE is a best PC rendering engine i have seen, and hopefully by jan-feb next year, entire LE will be to able run seamlessly with no or just minor code tweaks on PS3 since first tests are done and everything works just fine..

ZJP(Posted 2010) [#13]
@JoshK. Nice work ;)

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#14]
Naughty Alien,

That looks awesome!

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#15]
Looks amazing! Wish I had the time patience to produce something like this! :)

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#16]
I think they should've invested more in placing animated characters around the scene. That really sells the game-capability.

Do you have the specs on the hardware that recorded the video?

EDIT: Looks like LE got a GameDev.net review. Congrats :)

JoshK(Posted 2010) [#17]
It does sound appealing, what stops me delving deeper is simply, there's no mac version and macs are on the up.

Version 3.0 will be available for Mac.

I thought the GameDev.net review was fair. Core technology is great, and the user experience and tools need refinement. Won't argue with that.

_33(Posted 2010) [#18]
Very impressive, and it does remind me a bit of STALKER and some other scenes in HL2 maybe. Very good!

EDIT: Actually it would be much more interesting if you created an executable flyby demo that would run on our machines. At first it would ask us the settings and then would play the demo through with a benchmark score that would state the performance of our machine.