Dr Who Type Fing

Community Forums/Showcase/Dr Who Type Fing

Stu_ovine(Posted 2010) [#1]
"Dr Who type thing" demo has just been released.

It's a quick "intro" teaser for the upcoming game. Download it from http://baa.ovine.net/who/drwho.zip

Unzip and run the EXE, oh check out the readme.txt for the key controls. Feedback welcome.

Its a platform puzzler based on the BBC Classic Icon Dr Who, comes complete with sonic screwdriver

Its a short demo just to see if there is any interest in such a game, the engine is all up and ready to go.

Heres some screenies before you download

Yeshu777(Posted 2010) [#2]
Looks good.

Probably my outdated laptop (and lack of memory) but wouldn't run.

Will try it on my main PC later.

Regards,

MCP(Posted 2010) [#3]
Another great game Stu. This looks very promising indeed. Well done :)

therevills(Posted 2010) [#4]
Excellent - got exciting then it ends :(

Great graphics style.

A few things:

* Tardis takes too long to appear...
* Jumping is slow - low planet gravity?
* When I was talking at the crash site, I managed to do the walking animation on the spot some how
* Dr. Who logo needs work

Yan(Posted 2010) [#5]
Judging from the screen shots, it appears I'm not the only one eagerly awaiting 'Insanely Twisted Planet' and 'Limbo'. :o)

It looks fantastic, with the in game atmosphere and attention to detail reminding me of 'Knytt' and 'Another World'. So you're in very good company.

Would you consider sharing some of the technical details? I always find that kind of info an interesting read.

Good stuff as usual, team Ovine.

Stu_ovine(Posted 2010) [#6]
What kind of technical stuff would you like to know ? I dont mind sharing.

Yan(Posted 2010) [#7]
Nothing in particular, I'm just being nosey. A general run down of the techniques your engine is using would be particularly welcomed.

For example...

I'm assuming you're using BMax and, as the 'outro' is in 3d, you're not using straight Max2D.

How are you drawing the scenery:-
Tiled sprites or quads?
Layered Imaged sized quads?
Are you using some sort of 'entity' system, like Aquaria?

How are you handling collisions:-
Tile based collision system?
Some sort of polygon based collision system?

How are you drawing the animated characters:-
Are they animated sprites/billboards, flat shaded 3D models, flat polygonal 'silhouettes' or even flat shaded full 3D models?
Are you using some sort of segmented skeletal or deforming vertex animation system?

Are you using editors or hard coding to accomplish the above?

ETC

Whilst I fully understand why people protect their media. I generally like to have a good rummage through a game's data files as it usually gives me a great insight into how the programmer went about things. In fact, I often find this nearly as entertaining as the games themselves...But then...I *am* rather peculiar. ;o)

Any information you're willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

Stu_ovine(Posted 2010) [#8]
The game is built on my ongoing in house game framework - all in MAX of course, the tunnel uses Minib3d.

All editors are custom built, with tweaks here and there for each project.

In this project Im using layered sprites with a scripting system in place for each room- makes it each for "SMILA" our graphics guy to change placements and game logic. This is using MICROC found at http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=77298#1027433 its a super lightweight system that Ive used on several other projects too.

All the animations are rendered from 3D images and output as flat sprites (there are alot of them). Theres a bit of loading and unloading of images going on behind the scenes.

As there aren't alot of floor collisions, Im using polygon collisions which makes slope collision oh so much nicer. Each sprite that walks has its own set of collision parameters including its height/feet position etc .... Saying that the poly collision routine can actually handle a (im being technical here) mass of poly lines.

We have a really good feedback so far - seems it might get finished after all. Ive seen some of the next level already and its a real treat. Seeing as its mostly script based its not such an ordeal to get new levels coded. Rather than struggle thru with it being completely script driven some parts will be hardcoded of course

FreakForFreedom(Posted 2010) [#9]
I'm kinda a Dr. Who fan.... and I like where your game is going. :)
There's maybe some fine tuning left to do, but it looks very promising!
Keep up the good work.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2010) [#10]
Any chance of a Mac version, Ovine? Looks great from the 'shots.

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#11]
nice game overall,

call it Dr.Poo to avoid licencing issues

*(Posted 2010) [#12]
I like Dr Foo personally as the games isnt about excrement :)

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2010) [#13]
Well, looks good and all, but I'm unable to move, etc in the game, non-responsive controls on my laptop:

Gateway P-7805u
Core 2 Duo 2.28GHz
4GB DDR3 RAM
GeForce 9800 GTS 1GB
Win7 Home Premium 64-Bit

My guess is the laptop keyboard, bu I dunno for sure.

Ummm, OK, I tried running the game again & this time the controls worked ?

Pretty cool game...Love the Doctor Who intro.

Yan(Posted 2010) [#14]
Good to hear that you're going ahead with this. The animation is very smooth, so I'm not at all surprised to hear that there's lot of frame thrashing going on.

I forgot to mention earlier that I really liked the classic 'cliff hanger' ending to the demo/teaser. It'd be nice to see those worked those into the game somehow. Perhaps by having some sort of pseudo episodic structure to the game?

Anyway, thanks very much for the info, Stu.

Stu_ovine(Posted 2010) [#15]
>OldNESJunkie

You have to make sure that the window has focus else keyboard events wont fire.

The full game will be selectable between fullscreen and window mode.

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2010) [#16]
Yeah I figured that out, seems like Win7 never gives a newly opened window focus for some reason, I had to change one of my apps to minimize for the child window it created to work properly on Vista/7.

Edit:

I figured out my problem anyways I just call the

setwindowposition for my main window, set it's z-order to the back, then when the child window is created call setwindowposition to put it at the top of the z-order, works a treat (on Win7 anyways, still have to test on othe Win versions)