First Game - Mahjongg

Community Forums/Showcase/First Game - Mahjongg

Sanctus(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hey guys. I just finished my first personal game. (out of the many I'm working on).
It's not a big one but I tried my best to make it work as nice as possible. There are currently no known bugs.
More info:
-5 Tile layouts with increasing difficulty(actual tiles are randomly generated)
-Hint button that shows all the pairs that can be eliminated
-Friendly help page where you can learn to play the game.
-Ability to make the game full screen a mute the sound.
-Ability to change the background.
-Undo your mistakes.
I added some screen shots here:
Screen Shot 1:

Screen Shot 2:

Screen Shot 3:

Screen Shot 4:

Screen Shot 5:

It would mean a lot to me if you guys would buy it for just "what you want" so I can actually buy a domain and make a normal website to add my future games(next incoming is a cool Sudoku).
Here is a link to a page where you can buy it (if anyone knows how I can put a paypal button here please tell me):
http://plebgames.com/Lorin/mahjongg.html

Oh and some final words: If you want to develop casual games BlitzMax is the way to go, at least for me.

Edit: I updated the web page and now it looks nicer.
Edit: Now the game costs what you want... You are free to type in any amount you consider fit.

GIB3D(Posted 2010) [#2]
Out of all the years of me being alive (19) I've never figured out how to play Mahjong and I probably never will :(

Sanctus(Posted 2010) [#3]
It has a very friendly help with some nice images :)

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#4]
This looks really good, Sanctus! You did a really good job on the graphics.

GIB3D: If it is any condolence, I am more than three times your age and I have never figured out Mahjong either ;)

GfK(Posted 2010) [#5]
Mahjong is pretty simple.

You have to match identical pairs of tiles. The twist is, you can only click on a tile if there are no other tiles to either its immediate left, or right (ignoring tiles which are on layers below).

So in the screenshot above, the two West (W) tiles at the bottom left and bottom right, are a valid move.

There are also three South (S) tiles - any two of which are a valid move.

The "4/Bamboo" tiles aren't valid though, as one of them is blocked at both sides (by a 9 and a 1). But you can get rid of the "1" tile as there's a matching one two rows above the 4. :)

Dead easy.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#6]
the two West (W) tiles at the bottom left and bottom right, are a valid move.
It doesn't matter that one is one layer higher than the other?

Ginger Tea(Posted 2010) [#7]
nope not at all
as long as both are free on one side its ok
although its not 'mahjongg' mahjongg, im not sure if anyone here has played the real deal ;)
this is just the solitaire game, that could be played with multiple sets of dominoes or playing cards if you so wished, although either might have more or less tiles than the mahjongg lot

Gabriel(Posted 2010) [#8]
although its not 'mahjongg' mahjongg, im not sure if anyone here has played the real deal ;)

Yeah, technically the tile matching game is Mahjong Solitaire or Shanghai Solitaire. That's no criticism of Sanctus, of course, since practically every online games site uses this misnomer. I have actually played the real deal. I used to play it with friends as a kid. It's a bit like rummy and pretty enjoyable. Mind you, Shanghai Solitaire is quite fun too, and I would have given it a go but I guess there's no demo yet?

Sanctus(Posted 2010) [#9]
@GaryV
Thank you but the graphics are not done by me.
@Gabriel
There's no demo because the game is very cheap but I will consider that.

Anyway basically any paid game will go towards future development of my next games and website. I promise I won't even drink a beer from that money ^^(well maybe just one as success)

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#10]
Looks very nice for your first game! :)

Anyway basically any paid game will go towards future development of my next games and website. I promise I won't even drink a beer from that money ^^(well maybe just one as success)

I'll drink to that!

SLotman(Posted 2010) [#11]
I'm also developing a Mahjong game :)

But if you're really serious about selling this, you should at least have some text on the website telling about the game features, and even better, a small video.

I really cant judge your game only by 2 shots - I don't know if it has undo, hints, more than 1 tileset or background or even if it has more than one board layout...

I know it's "only $2", but there are Mahjong games for iPhone packed with features and cheaper than that - so just price isn't much to go by.

GIB3D(Posted 2010) [#12]
@Gfk
Thanks to you I've finally figured out how to play it. I searched for a free Mahjong game to try out and it's not hard at all :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#13]
Looks good, congrats!

Probably needs a bit more work if you plan to sell it.

Retimer(Posted 2010) [#14]
Nice work!

For the paypal button:

-Click Merchant services
-Create 'Buy Now' button.

If you are fair with php, you can set up an automated system using paypal notifications. Once a payment is made you can process the download link for the purchase for the member (have script email it, or just give them the link right then and there after the purchase):

-Click Profile
-Click 'Instant Payment Notification Preferences'
-Click on help link there that says 'Instant Payment Notification (IPN).' for information on IPN, and how to set it up.

It might seem complicated at first, but after you get through it the first time, it's very easy to integrate into any purchase system you might want to set up in the future - and pushes some influence from clients when they know they will get what they paid for right away.

Anyways, again, awesome job on the game. Good luck.

Time

Sanctus(Posted 2010) [#15]
Thank you all for your comments.
@SLotman
I have to agree with you here. I updated my first post and included 3 more screenshots and some information.
It doesn't have more tile sets and more backgrounds although I have 2 more background and maybe I could put that as an option.
It has however 5 different tile layouts. The pieces themselves are randomly generated and thus offer a lot of fun time.
@Grey Alien
No offense but I think XMas Bonus looked worse(in terms of graphics at least). But you know... you are actually the one who inspires me to push on and write code even when I don't feel like it. I read your blog and it always gets me anxious about completing my games. I actually would like to publish this game on Bigfish but I haven't heard anything from them yet.
@Retimer
Thank you for your information. Right now I'll make a nicer web page and I hope to add that as well.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#16]
I do agree with Grey Alien that it needs a little work in the graphics department. If I can point out a couple of immediately obvious (to me) problems:

1. Some of the tiles - most notably the North and West ones, and the green dragon - are very pixelated compared to the others.

2. The tiles themselves are too square and sharp. I'd like to see them with chipped, raggedy edges for a less sterile look.

3. Make the shadows more shallow and with softer edges.

4. I'd like to see more background images for variety. All of the screenshots above seem to use the same one.

5. The dragon is smiling, and looks... wrong. Reminds me of Barney.

Sanctus(Posted 2010) [#17]
@Gfk
1 I already changed North and West so they look good again.
2 That was intended and it will not change. I prefer that they look sharp and clear rather than looking like some erasers with images on them.
3 Not very sure on how to do that.
4 Will be included in Mahjongg 1.1 along with some other new features.
5 Uhm... it's a innocent game. It's not supposed to look angry.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#18]
Of course, how you make your game is entirely your call. All I'm saying is that if you want to get it onto portals, you need to be aware of what you're competing with; i.e. this, this and this. (That's just three random examples - there are many more).

[edit] I chose BigFishGames because that's where you said you wanted in.

Sanctus(Posted 2010) [#19]
I understand what you mean :). But that's what I want. I personally don't like how those games look... well except for Luxor Mahjongg which has a very nice theme.
I don't want to compete with them. I just want to sell my game(s) like everybody else. Remember that this is the first game I've made (and finished) :)

GfK(Posted 2010) [#20]
But that's what I want. I personally don't like how those games look...
That's precisely where you need to make the distinction - are you making games for yourself, or for other people? Few people are fortunate enough to be able to do both.
well except for Luxor Mahjongg which has a very nice theme.
That's another important point. Players need to feel a sense of achievement/progression which is why the vast majority of casual games have maps, trophy rooms and so on. Having a theme or underlying plot makes it a lot easier to implement all of that - give players a REASON to be doing what they are doing.

I don't want to compete with them. I just want to sell my game(s) like everybody else.
Oh... then you've kind of answered my earlier question already. One thing though; instead of "I want to sell my games", try saying "I want people to buy my games".

Remember that this is the first game I've made (and finished) :)
Yep, and that's a good thing, because most people don't even get that far. Even if you don't manage to sell it it won't be a complete loss, as I'm sure you learned a lot along the way which can be applied to future games.

[edit] I don't profess to know it all - all I know is what mistakes I've made myself over the years.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2010) [#21]
Gratz, finishing a game is far harder to do than most know, it's so easy to do all the fun stuff and then lose interest in the project or another project interests you more.

Sanctus(Posted 2010) [#22]
Exactly... mid way when developing the game I was tempted to start other games but actually finish a game give you a lot of satisfaction.

Sanctus(Posted 2010) [#23]
I updated the game and the demo.
Now you can choose from 3 different backgrounds and undo all your mistakes (virtually unlimited undo).
Makes sure to try it :)
Demo download at my page

Foppy(Posted 2010) [#24]
I noticed your demo comes as a RAR file.

Perhaps using ZIP (or even an installer) would be better in terms of getting more people to play the demo.

(Most people don't know what RAR is or don't have a program to unpack such files.)

P.S. I am at work right now so haven't actually played the game yet. ;)

Sanctus(Posted 2010) [#25]
You have a point.
I'll change that.
I also raised the price to 4.99$ since it took quite some work out of me to create it.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#26]
You have a point.
I'll change that.
I also raised the price to 4.99$ since it took quite some work out of me to create it.
You more than doubled the price because you changed the background color and added an installer?! It was only $2 before you edited your first post!

Sanctus(Posted 2010) [#27]
No... because the overall work it took me to create it wasn't worth only 2$. On another forum a guy told some interesting stuff. Buy hey.. you do not have to buy the game ^^.

On another note now I created installers for the Demo and for the actual game.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#28]
I was going to buy it (thanks to GfK), but the price more than doubling took care of that.

Now the price puts it in the category of competing against the special deals offered by the major portals and your game is just not in that category and does not hold up to the new competition you have decided to go against.

Sanctus(Posted 2010) [#29]
Another guy said that for the western market 2$ and 5$ is all the same and that 2$ isn't worth the bother to pay for most people. Now I don't know what to believe.
Edit: Now I changed the price.. it's what you want. You are free to type in any amount that you feel the game is worth.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2010) [#30]

I noticed your demo comes as a RAR file.

Perhaps using ZIP (or even an installer) would be better in terms of getting more people to play the demo.

(Most people don't know what RAR is or don't have a program to unpack such files.)

P.S. I am at work right now so haven't actually played the game yet. ;)

Better yet an installer (for windows) - http://www.createinstall.com/cifree/ , I use it for my games.

Sanctus(Posted 2010) [#31]
I allready created setups for both the demo and the actual game.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2010) [#32]
Hi Sanctus it's your first completed game be happy with that, dont worry about charging for it, think of it as an investment in the future.

I would make it freeware or donationware and get a program such as http://robosoft.rudenko.com/ to submit your game to 100's of sites.

This will drive traffic to your site, so spruce up the site maybe add a mailing list feature and start building your user base. Then when the big game drops your have them lineing up cash in hand.

Mainsworthy(Posted 2010) [#33]
Hi Sanctus , Great! I always like Mahjongg solitaire, and you have a good looking version.

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#34]
No offense but I think XMas Bonus looked worse(in terms of graphics at least). But you know... you are actually the one who inspires me to push on and write code even when I don't feel like it. I read your blog and it always gets me anxious about completing my games. I actually would like to publish this game on Bigfish but I haven't heard anything from them yet.
Yeah Xmas Bonus was pretty primitive, but it's also 5 years old and the visual quality of casual games has moved on since then. In order to compete on a portal you need a great looking game. Glad you find my blog useful, thanks for letting me know. It's great you've completed a game, hopefully the first of many. You can put what you've learned in this one to good use in the next one. Good luck.

Sanctus(Posted 2010) [#35]
Yes I know I have to make games with better graphics. Right now the artist works on the graphics for my next game which will hopefully be completed in about 2-3 weeks now that I've made myself a very useful framework.
Also... could you maybe check your email (info@...)? I've sent you one yesterday I think.

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#36]
Sure I'll check later. Sorry I was out last night for my stag party!