Silent Walk FPS Creator

Community Forums/Showcase/Silent Walk FPS Creator

silentworks(Posted 2010) [#1]
Silent Walk FPS Creator

This was my first bigger Blitz3D project a few years ago. My goal was to create a program for those who want to make FPS games without having any programming knowledge. So this is basically a drag and drop game creator mainly for shooters or puzzle solving games.

Videos: http://vimeo.com/channels/115176

Main site and download: http://www.silentworks.hu

Have fun!

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#2]
very cool looking, would download if my internet would decide whether it wants to work or not, it goes ofline then back on every minute or so ever since lightning struck the neighbor's basketball goal.. it looks pretty fun too, does it come with models?

BlitzSupport(Posted 2010) [#3]
Wow, the Brainforcer demo really reminds me of Portal! The editor GUI looks really nice too.

Why keep it quiet for so long, though? Did you only release it in Hungary?

Zethrax(Posted 2010) [#4]
Why keep it quiet for so long, though? Did you only release it in Hungary?

Judging by the number of english language posts in the site's forum, it seems like it's just us he's been hiding it from. ;)

Looks interesting, I'll check it out when I get time.

silentworks(Posted 2010) [#5]
Thanks. I didn't want to hide it from you guys. :)

I just didn't announce here, as it was my first Blitz project, and I thought a program like this could not be interesting for programmers, since it was created for non programmers.

Brainforcer (and Brainforcer 2) was indeed inspired by Portal, I just loved the simple and elegant, modern looking textures and I wanted to create a non violent puzzle solving game to demonstrate some of the great features.

Silent Walk doesn't come with models (apart from a few demo ones), the levels are built with basic primitives. The main idea was that users should be able to create a game without having any experiences with modelling.

The Castle is another SW demo using only primitives.

SLotman(Posted 2010) [#6]
The editor looks really nice! Is it possible to just edit something and then use in B3D instead on your FPS creator?

silentworks(Posted 2010) [#7]
Thank you. Unfortunately it is not possible.

The runner is quite complex, each game object is a specific class with its own properties. You would need to use exactly the same class structure and load the texture set to re-build the level in B3D. But that would mean (almost) a new runner. :)

Matty(Posted 2010) [#8]
Had a look at the video, would have been nicer at at a higher res (quite blurry), but I kind of wondered - are there any animated "ai" units/entities/creatures?

I noticed in the features list you mention enemy AI, but I'm curious as to what is possible with this.

It looks good, and I don't normally play FPS games, but the the thought of having a ready built engine that can handle b3d meshes and the like sounds really good.

Matty(Posted 2010) [#9]
Another post -

Had a look through the documentation - very thorough, I really like what I see.

Still can't work out if it will let me import my own 3d static meshes to use as rooms or whether it needs to all be created in the editor and textured.

Will keep looking, when I get the chance I may install it and have a look.

silentworks(Posted 2010) [#10]
The video is indeed very low quality. :( I wasn't able to capture it with a higher resolution due to the poor CPU of my PC.

[Animated AI units]
Silent Walk handles two kinds of enemies. The "monster" type doesn't hold any weapons, only attacks the player (using certain rules) and "bites" him when close enough.
The "shooter" type is holding a weapon and can shoot the player when he is visible.

The enemy animation is handled by the system, but the animation frames can be set in the editor. There are basic movements (stand, walk, run, shoot, hurt, die, dead) and you can set the frame numbers for each sequence, and Silent Walk will play the corresponding sequence according the enemy action.

The AI is very basic. Basically is this:
Attack (or shoot) the player when you see him and your health is higher then 25%. Otherwise run and try to hide. :)

[Static Meshes]
You can import your own 3D meshes and use them as general objects, even full levels or rooms. The problem is that I was focusing on the idea of building game objects using small primitives, so you can use only one texture per object. So this doesn't really support loading single meshes as complex levels.

Each model or primitve is created untextured, and you need to set the texture in the editor. Even if the 3DS model already has the texture definition, SW ignores it.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#11]
Wouldn't it be easy to skip the retexturing of loaded 3ds, as an option somewhere? Looks good btw.

It may also be relative easy to export all meshes as B3D when you iterate trough all entities (see archives: iterate entities hack, also SaveB3D). But of course, I don't know if you want to edit the code any further.

silentworks(Posted 2010) [#12]
Yes, I could let the user use the original textures for the 3DS files, but that would require him to copy the textures manually to the final game's folder. The main idea of the program was that everyone should be able to create a game even without knowledge of what a mesh or a texture mean (technically).

This was really a first B3D project, and I didn't even know how to get the child enitities (or any other hierarchy data) from a single mesh.

In the other hand, your feelings about editing the code is right, I stopped developing SW, because I am working on a new tool, which is similar to this one, but handles more advanced features.

*(Posted 2010) [#13]
looks good :)