Ping Pong Battle, now has a home :)

Community Forums/Showcase/Ping Pong Battle, now has a home :)

WERDNA(Posted 2010) [#1]
At long last, Ping Pong Battle now has a place to rest its feet.

Here is its Facebook Page

Where you can download the newest demo, and watch the new youtube video :)

Here is a separate link to the demo and video, for if you don't have a facebook account.

Demo 3.0

Awesome Video :)

Hope everyone likes the game, and this will quite possibly be the last
available demo, since the game is getting so close to being finished.

Although don't think, 'Oh, well if its close to being done, I don't really need to buy the full version when it comes out. the demo's good enough.'
Because the full version will include 16 secret characters, stage special effects,
a whole new mode, Hard campaign mode, and The Book of Dao mini game.
(Plus some other goodies!)

MGE(Posted 2010) [#2]
"Hope everyone likes the game, and this will quite possibly be the last
available demo, since the game is getting so close to being finished."

hmm...you're going to sell this game? That somehow loses it's character if you ask me. It's a very cool novelty game, but when you start charging for it, that makes me compare it to other games asking for my money and then I start judging this game in an entirely different light.

If anything perhaps a "pay what you want" model might work best for this one?

Matty(Posted 2010) [#3]
I can't imagine myself paying for something like this..and I'm curious to see who would?

But then with products like http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=90700 going on sale you may have a chance to succeed commercially ;P

WERDNA(Posted 2010) [#4]
@MGE lol, I thought everyone knew already I was planning on selling this.
That somehow loses it's character if you ask me.

The whole point of this game is to sell it, so that I have an actual budget for my next
game, and can buy some nice graphics, or even hire an artist.

I start judging this game in an entirely different light.

Good, thats what I want. I want feedback on not only how much people like this game,
but how much they might be willing to pay for it, if anything.

If anything perhaps a "pay what you want" model might work best for this one?

Thats a pretty good idea! I hadn't thought of that before, but it might be the best
option. I'll try sending it to various portals first, and see what they think. If they don't
care much for it, then I'll just sell it independently.(And yes, I know thats a tremendous amount of work ;)

I can't imagine myself paying for something like this..and I'm curious to see who would?

My hope is, that quite a few people would. Not a single person who has played it,
has actually said 'I don't like this game.'. The very worst feedback that I have received,
is that the game was too confusing. Although even those who thought it was confusing,
still thought it was very, very interesting. And that problem has been fixed with
the tutorial.

And as to this http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=90700 I both laughed,
and shuddered in horror.

We'll just have to see how things turn out with this one. Maybe I'll make some sales,
or perhaps it will be a complete and utter flop :)

Thanks for the feedback, and keep it coming people!

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#5]
Here's where I am on Werdna's project, I like it, its a nice little spin on a very old game, but hand on heart, if I didnt know Werdna from chatting online on a programming forum, or didnt realise how much time and effort he has put into the game, then, I wouldnt consider buying it.

I hope I dont come down as being negative or disregarding the project, anyone that goes out and creates a game is a top fella (Or Sheila... Lets not be sexist) in my view.

If we are blunt, portals will probably not take up PPB, I've been there and its a git when the 'we are declining your game' emails start rolling, so without them, where do you stand, well, unless your marketing skills are above and beyond your average developer, you stand pretty much in the middle of nowhere, because:-

- It takes a lot of time to get your game out there, to the masses, you have to cover a lot of area, you need to put in a good few hours hammering sites and its a very labouring monotonous process, and sadly, if you match up sales to the work that goes in, your gonna lose.

- There are pong clones kicking around all over the shop, from funky full downloads to in-browser affairs, so in reality, your game will have to be super duper good for anyone away from these programming walls to take yours instead.

So, taken into consideration about everything, my advice is to not rush into releasing it commercially, but take your time, if it was me, I'd buy a domain called PingPongBattle, glitz up a page and provide a 'full' version with a $1 minimum donate button that allows people who have donated access to some extra snazzy content, like extra characters, access to a online high-score table, even online play. [I wish I did, lol]

As I said, I do like the game, and I hope I havent put a downer on anything because I dont intend that, but, if you do continue to publish it on your own, then I'll be the first to say good luck, as I know you've worked a lot on this! :)

Dabz

WERDNA(Posted 2010) [#6]
@Dabz Don't you, or anyone else, ever, ever worry about sounding negative.
I know that you guys only want to help out, and I appreciate any and all feedback you
can give me. Most especially when its harsh, honest, feedback :)

And yes, my hopes for a portal accepting it are not overly high. But which ever way
this goes(And chances are, I'll only ever make a few sales), it will be very good experience
for me, and hopefully give me a little bit of cash for my next game.

There are pong clones kicking around all over the shop,

This is the only thing you said that mildly irks me. I mean, pong clone? wtf?
I've heard a few others also compare my game to pong, but I don't see the connection...

In pong, you just move two little paddles up and down trying to block the ball from
getting past you. Here, you don't have paddles, but characters, and they are not
restricted to moving just up and down, but all over the field depending on what
powerups\special abilities they use. There are often more than one ball flying around,
and with all the powerups, standard attacks, and special attacks, the game often
becomes much more about those while blocking the ball takes a back seat.

I have tournament modes, Vs mode, stage select, and a story.

Now if someone would please answer, how the heck does that become a pong clone?
(Sorry about the slight rant, it just annoys me ;)

So, taken into consideration about everything, my advice is to not rush into releasing it commercially, but take your time, if it was me, I'd buy a domain called PingPongBattle, glitz up a page and provide a 'full' version with a $1 minimum donate button that allows people who have donated access to some extra snazzy content, like extra characters, access to a online high-score table, even online play. [I wish I did, lol]

I quite like this idea!

I'll definitely consider doing something along these lines. I think what I might do
is offer the game as a free download, but then paying 1$ or more gets you bonus
stuff. Or maybe EACH bonus feature you buy separately for a few cents, so you
can only get the ones you really want?

and I hope I havent put a downer on anything because I dont intend that,

Look at my first paragraph :)

Thanks!

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#7]
it is a pretty awesome game but when you start talking about selling it, your game must be compared to other games being bought by your target audience in the market. Unfortunately many people now judge games on graphics (too many people expect 3d stuff or hd everything) more than gameplay or effort put in to the actual game, not just the graphics. I wish you the best luck but it just doesnt seem to meet what the market is after these days... I fear that many 2d games miss out simply because they are 2d, many of my friends actually refuse to buy any 2d games because they consider them outdated even if they are recent games. I guess I am beating around the bush telling you that you game simply wont be a top seller, you may sell 10 copies or even 100, I have no idea and it really depends on your marketing skills but unfortunately the people buying games are really shallow (judging by whats on the surface - graphics) Its a good game but trying to put it up there with the big guys (commercial games) is a bit of a leap if you ask me. Good luck in whatever you try to do and I hope this wasnt demotivational, you are one of few people that can actually finish a good game around here :)

^^^
based on my opinion and experience however limited and sheltered it may be

WERDNA(Posted 2010) [#8]
Thanks Nate!

I know graphics are pretty important in todays market, so I think I won't be able to
do much with screen shots, since my graphics are, ahem, somewhat less than what
todays market expects ;)

I think Videos will be the way to go.

For instance. People look at a screenshot and say 'lame graphics. Must be a lame game.'

People watch a short video on youtube and say 'Wtf? thats so weird... and yet kind of
awesome. He look, theres a link to the demo!'

Thats what I'm hoping for at least!

And even 100 downloads would net me a little cash.
I'll just have to see how things turn out with this, and it will be good practice me.

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#9]

@Dabz Don't you, or anyone else, ever, ever worry about sounding negative.

Basically, I know your a good person, you've worked hard and I enjoy our little chats at blitzmonkeys.com, so really, any negative advice I have, I'd like to forward it to you in the nicest possible way! ;)

Now if someone would please answer, how the heck does that become a pong clone?

Well, ultimately, the underlying mechanics of the game are moving a paddle, in this case, a character, up and down the screen to bounce a ball towards the other player in the hope of getting the ball past the opponent...

Yes, yours is a souped up version of a classic old game that set the world alight, at the same time, Gfk's MagicVille is a souped up version of the original popcap game Diamond Mine (Which later became Bejeweled), they may be different in respect of theme, but they will both forever regarded as Match-3 games...

Thats what I think anyhoo! ;)

And even 100 downloads would net me a little cash.

I hit 13 with Nags then it dropped dead... Nothing... So, I refunded everyone that bought it and will release it free when I finish my site, which is taking a bit of a hit because of the world cup! :)

Dabz

WERDNA(Posted 2010) [#10]
Well, ultimately, the underlying mechanics of the game are moving a paddle, in this case, a character, up and down the screen to bounce a ball towards the other player in the hope of getting the ball past the opponent...

Ecch, you might have a point. Although still don't like it being called a pong clone ;)
(Even if it might be, to at least some extent).

I hit 13 with Nags then it dropped dead... Nothing... So, I refunded everyone that bought it and will release it free when I finish my site,

Wow, that is alarmingly classy of you Dabz!
You just upped my already high opinion of you :D