Paper Games Vol. 1 - Pencil BiPlane Battle

Community Forums/Showcase/Paper Games Vol. 1 - Pencil BiPlane Battle

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi,

I was at work the other day and had a wierd idea ... pencil drawn games on plain old notebook paper! So I created a new series for H+Soft Arcade - Paper Games Series. I plan on doing a few different retro type games for this series.

Paper Games Vol. 1 - Pencil BiPlane Battle

This is a little retro shoot 'em up, shoot the enemy planes on each stage while avoiding the mountains and hot air balloons. Find and shoot the blimp on each stage for bonus points.

Get H+Soft Arcade or Game Info Starting here ...
http://www.hsretrogames.com/info_papergames1.htm

GIB3D(Posted 2010) [#2]
Looks kinda hard to make but it also looks like a good idea too.

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#3]
It was'nt to bad. I shot a picture of a sheet of notebook paper with a digital camera and drew the images. It was a fun little project. I hope to do more little games this way - I don't think many see the artistic value in it. People always expect big flashy games now-a-days, I thought it was kinda original.

stanrol(Posted 2010) [#4]
I don't have windows now, os x, so can't test.
how does the arcade work?
like cartridges?

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#5]
@sr - no, not like cartridges. The arcade is software that launches games from it's file directory - which are seperate apps themselves in their own folders. If that makes sense - it's hard to explain without writing a novel ;)

Robert Cummings(Posted 2010) [#6]
iphones are packed with pencil/crayon style games so it is a popular look you have chosen, people like it a lot.

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#7]
Thats good to know ... I don't play with cell phones much!

Leon Drake(Posted 2010) [#8]
this looks so original and cool.

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#9]
Thanx, Leon - Any one played yet?

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2010) [#10]
Pretty fun little game you have there, played it for about 15 minutes straight or so, till I almost got caught by the boss :^P

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2010) [#11]
I wouldn't say it's original given there are several other games based on handdrawn paper released in the past year or so, but it looks cute.

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#12]
Glad you liked it OldNESJunkie. Thanx, to all who have played! - Have Fun!

Armitage 1982(Posted 2010) [#13]
The design is really cool!

It reminds me how I was playing when I was a kid with sheet of paper building bases and throwing missiles from planes with reinvented rules each time ^^

Will try this asap!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#14]
I didn't play it, but the design concept has a high potenial imho, for something really commercial. Wish you good luck with this project.

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#15]
@Armitage 1982 - lol, Yeah i did the same kinda stuff on paper when i was a kid - including making those little flippy cartoons!

@jfk EO-11110 - Thanx! - Call me dumb, but whats 'imho' stand for?

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#16]
Call me dumb, but whats 'imho' stand for?

in my humble opinion

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#17]
Ahh, In My Humble Opinion - I knew I'd feel like an idiot once I knew what it stood for!

Yan(Posted 2010) [#18]
I wouldn't say it's original given there are several other games based on hand drawn paper released in the past year or so...
Yeah, and sadly it's another release that fails to capture the dynamism a game of this style deserves.

A missed opportunity, IMHO.

[edit]
Just to clarify that I'm referring solely to the art style and not the game as a whole.
[/edit]

markcw(Posted 2010) [#19]
Looks cool. It would be good to have an option to use paper with no lines or even have no paper and just a plain blank screen.

This is also a great idea for amateur developers who can't make professional level graphics.

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#20]
I have plans on doing more of these little games with different backgrounds, paper types and pens, pencils, etc... :)

This is also a great idea for amateur developers who can't make professional level graphics.

Yeah, I suppose. I thought this would be a fun somewhat 'artistic' idea. It's hard to keep up with whats popular in gaming now-a-days. It's even harder trying to come up with names for games that are'nt already taken! The bottom line is everyone and their dog is developing games so I just goof around and have fun with it.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#21]
I wouldn't say it's original given there are several other games based on hand drawn paper released in the past year or so...

Ok, it wasn't that new, but how many FPSes are out there? The market is saturated anyway, especially in the genres that force million $ investment in hiring top 3d graphics artists and licensing next gen engines.

With a game like this it may more a matter of a smart selling-strategy than a 100 manyears of work, like in most AAA titles these days.
If you got the time you may also port it to some mobile platforms. I don't know how easy it is to get a permission to release stuff for iphone, ipod etc., but this game would definitely look nice on it.

You didn't know "imho"? I think people don't say that anymore, like "lol" or so... Those Web-Terms really have a short lifespan.

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#22]
@jfk EO-11110

Yeah, I know the others lol etc... imho I had'nt heard of before, but I don't spend a lot of time online; in forums, chat, etc.

As for putting this on mobile devices I really don't have time at the moment with a full time day job, wife and kids. I created H+Soft Arcade to release my little game creations for play. That's where I stay at the moment. I have tons of other games planned for the software, as well as a new software I am developing. When I get more funds and time, I may compile the arcade and it's exclusive games for linux, and mac. Not sure when though.

Thanks for your interest, I really appreciate your input. :)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#23]
Just tried this game, along with the H+ Arcade - it certainly raised a smile! I liked the 'pencil' graphics. Cool.

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#24]
Glad you like it! :)
Did you play any other games on the arcade?

Mainsworthy(Posted 2010) [#25]
thats looks like a game you would buy from a retailer, very good. why not try crayons or paint, or coloured pencils?

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#26]
I'm planning on doing several things with this series. This game was done on the dining room table, I may shoot photos of paper taped to things or in wierd locations as well as different paper styles, pens, crayons etc ....

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#27]
Hi,

A new color version of this game is out in 2D and 3D for those who liked the original pencil version.
This new game build is not drawn with pens, pencils etc..

Bi-Plane Battle Color 2D\3D

If you have H+Soft Arcade get it Here ...