Metagolf - Tutorial

Community Forums/Showcase/Metagolf - Tutorial

Armitage 1982(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi,

I made a quick video about the last version of Metagolf.
See it there at Vimeo: Metagolf - Tutorial - HD

Well it's not really HD since my computer can hardly record more than 640x480.

I will provide a Demo as soon as more levels are available.
For more informations, please visit http://metagolf.net

Oh, if you ever spot any spelling mistakes on the site (mainly in the about section) I would gladly correct them.
In fact, English is not my native language.

Thanks !

TWH(Posted 2010) [#2]
I was kind of expecting an actual golf game... Its a typical 2D platformer expect with a character that can wack boxes and golfballs with a golf-club? What role does the golf-part play?

Only spelling mistake I saw was ARme Win the Game. Should be "wins the game".

It looks nice, music and snd fx is good. Loading is perhaps a bit long. I think the character should have a swim-animation.

Perhaps you could use the golf-club to hook onto pegs and swing about? Bionic Commando style (video of C64 version)

Armitage 1982(Posted 2010) [#3]
Thanks a lot for your input TWH.

You are right.
Loading is a bit too long only because I'm output text to the loading panel but it's crucial to know where something "could" crash or simply to avoid unanswered window ("Metagolf - Ne répond pas" in french say Windows) I still didn't find any solution to this.

My character could benefit from a swim animation but since the game is physic based I'm not able to virtually "rotate" his Axis Aligned Bounding Box (AABB) in World Space. So drawing the player horizontally rather than vertically would lead to unexpected visual problems.

I may add a few more characters later if this game is working for me. But for now, I think it's OK.
Nice idea the Bionic Commando (I loved that game back in time). I Will I investigate the possibilities.

Do not worry about the platformer look for now, this is a Tutorial level with box messages (unread for the purpose of this video) and obstacles to learn most of the Metagolf Features.

I try this game with 4 friends and we have lots of fun because of the "action oriented" idea behind. You can literally make interesting figures like dribbling, accurate shots, in air passes to a team member, etc.

There will be puzzles, wider levels for more intense game, limited "hole in" level, race against time, and some other game mode.

This is why I call it Meta-golf, because it's not exactly a typical golf game where everybody play with his own ball and wait it's turn to play. It's a realtime competition with trial and error for everyone!

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#4]
I still didn't find any solution to this.

multithreaded loading works best and continuously update the screen in the main thread

by the way, great game, I really like how you can keep hitting the ball as long as it doesnt stop and it doesnt count as more hits... reminds me of how I play golf in real life ;) I would definitely like to see some more puzzle based levels but I understand this is just a tutorial to preview the challenges and gameplay that you get in the main game. Any chance of a demo?

Armitage 1982(Posted 2010) [#5]
That's a neat idea Nate, unfortunately adding Multithreading with BlitzMax enable the new garbage collector and slow down the game a lot !
This could also lead to some unexpected crash with Box2D while complex objects are created :(

I really like how you can keep hitting the ball as long as it doesnt stop and it doesnt count as more hits... reminds me of how I play golf in real life ;)

Oh ! You playing like this too ^^ Try to replace the hole with some beer next time, it's awesome and even better after 6 holes if you drink them before!

I guess the demo will be available when the full version is released. I want to add as much as Demo level possible so everyone can have a look and have some fun :)

One more thing: every levels, game modes and options will be available at the beginning!
I don't like the idea of playing to unlock features. It's a choice...

Have you ever wanted to play a nice multiplayer game with some friends, installing the game and only play 3 tiny levels in one mode just because you didn't unlock everything ?

It's not an RPG, there is no progression in Golf (except if you are Tiger Wood or something of course :).

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#6]

That's a neat idea Nate, unfortunately adding Multithreading with BlitzMax enable the new garbage collector and slow down the game a lot !
This could also lead to some unexpected crash with Box2D while complex objects are created :(

I think there have been significant improvements on the gc in recent releases but I dont know if that would fix the box2d problems or not..

I guess the demo will be available when the full version is released. I want to add as much as Demo level possible so everyone can have a look and have some fun :)

that definitely beats what big companies do, they give you like one level in the demo so the demos always suck haha... im glad im not the only one that realizes this.

would it be possible to make the game networked??? even just LAN would be awesome but I have tried making networked physics and never could get it to work because of the complexity... Is there a level editor, I think I remember seeing something about a level editor for this game a long time ago... not entirely sure though.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2010) [#7]
that definitely beats what big companies do, they give you like one level in the demo so the demos always suck haha... im glad im not the only one that realizes this.

Definitely ;)

would it be possible to make the game networked

As you correctly guess Network + Real Time physics = problems.

I'm not entirely sure that it's not possible through but since I read tons of pages about the subject and most of them failed, I start my project without networking in mind.

Well It's always possible to play 2 on the keyboard and 2 on joysticks (or even 4 on joysticks if your friends bring the material :). It's even possible to scale the whole game in real time so the split screen is bearable in larger resolution.

Remind me how much I was having fun with Dos game in Split Screen, 3 dudes on the keyboard (beeeep beeeep) ^^

Is there a level editor

Yes there is a level editor!
And it's one of the most valuable feature of metagolf.

You will be able to share levels with others, skin everything, add any pictures, sounds or musics, change physical behaviours, choose default game mode, create particles and much much more :)

Since it is XML a level using original assets usually takes less than 4Ko when compressed (and is human readable incidentally).

Also play in debug mode like a physical sandbox game.
Quite fun :)
I will probably release a video soon where I play a bit with the level editor and the physical world.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#8]
I am really looking forward to this game.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2010) [#9]
I am really looking forward to this game.

This is something warm to hear, thanks :)

@TWH

Guess what!
I'm currently drawing a "vertical" swimming animation :)
That should do it I think.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#10]
TWH: There is actually a sub-genre of golf & mini-golf games that are combined with platform features and sometimes referred to as "side golf". That is probably the best term applied so far.

Metagolf reminds me of (reminds me of, not a copy of) a really old game for the Palm (Palm OS 3.0-3.5 era). I can't remember the name of the game as I lost it when my backup battery died, but there is a game similar to the one I remember called [u]Arcade Sidegolf[u] for newer mobile devices. WARNING! Although that linked page is safe, there are some NSFW games on other pages on that site!

Armitage: I can remember when you first posted about this game a year or so back. You have really made a lot of progress, and this is definitely one of the most unique and original looking games ever made in BlitzMax. The graphics are stunning and fit the game perfectly. Above all else, this game looks fun and is something I would play over and over! I really look forward to purchasing this game.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2010) [#11]
Side Golf, I suppose it's the most appropriate term to define the gender.

GaryV, if you ever remember the name of that game don't hesitate to share since it's always good to grab ideas here and there even if I have already many ideas. But right now I need to focus on the level creation and adding the few missing features and graphics.

Yes indeed, I'm working on Metagolf since a moment now.
My progress are pretty slow mainly because I learn on my spare-time without budget and I'm trying to do something enjoyable as much as I can.

Thanks for the kind words, it's very appreciated because I often wonder if this kind of game can find its public.
Now I am somewhat reassured :)

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#12]
Have'nt played yet ... looks nice though :)