Donkey Kong Remake

Community Forums/Showcase/Donkey Kong Remake

Mick Farrow(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hello, please click link for my remake of Donkey Kong, cheers.

http://retroremakes.com/forum/index.php/topic,1736.0.html

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#2]
classic game, ill check it out

your link is messed up - plz fix

Mick Farrow(Posted 2010) [#3]
Sorry, link fixed!

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#4]
good gfx, good remake overall

MGE(Posted 2010) [#5]
http://news.retroremakes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/DONKEY-KONG.zip

This.........is................extremely.............. nice. Download it now.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2010) [#6]
If it's written in Max, any chance of a Mac compile?

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#7]
really nice ya but isn't the jumping messed? jumping is movement in an upside down v rather than an arc

Jason W.(Posted 2010) [#8]
Nice re-make, but the jumping seems different from the original. It feels slow compared to the rest of the game. I feel like an expert, i put half the money I earned in playing arcade game in the eighties :P

Also I got a black screen when trying to play again after the first try.

My os is Windows 7 64bit if that helps.

Jason

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#9]
Oooh! I'm all over this! Will try it out soon. DK was one of my favorite games as kid.

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#10]
Worked great on my little machine! I like the colorful graphics - a nice twist on the game. I'm going to go play some more ... didn't make it past level one yet! :)

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#11]
Here's a pic from that other thread, so people have a bit of an idea what it looks like:

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#12]
I just noticed the score does not show up at all on my machine. Everything else works great and looks good :)

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2010) [#13]
great look!

You should make more levels/maps and release on iphone..

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#14]
Well done!

Some suggestions:
- create a single exe distribution and upx it
- sfx when using the hammer needs tweaking, it breaks "off" between loops
- add a widescreen background and logo
- level selection (for users like me that want to beat the game) ;)

Mick Farrow(Posted 2010) [#15]
Thanks for all your comments, hope to have a bug fixed version up & running soon. Cheers, Mick.

Mick Farrow(Posted 2010) [#16]
Back again! Latest version of Donkey Kong is available here,

http://rapidshare.com/files/401119465/DONKEY_KONG.rar (Updated 20/06/10)

1) Redefined keys now kept after first game.
2) Level 3 ladder bug fixed.
3) Level 4 hammer/falling bug fixed.
4) Hammer music tweaked (loop not so obvious now).
5) Missing music reinstated.
6) Added jumping frame to Mario.
7) Barrels getting stuck bug fixed.

Have decided to stick with slower jumping, sorry to those who hate it!
It's not arcade perfect, but overall I'm happy with it now. Did I mention F2 switches background On/Off?

Once again, thank you all for your comments & suggestions, Mick.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2010) [#17]
Nice remake with cool graphics !

I first download the wrong old mirror version but this one is better about the mp3 loop (not perfect through, mainly when using the hammer). Why not trying with Ogg or wav ??

Very good modern arcade feeling overall :)

Foppy(Posted 2010) [#18]
This is a great remake! Nice colorful graphics. The jump requires some practise but I think this is part of the game and the challenge.

Could you explain (even if just in a few words) how you display the game in "normal" width and height on a wide-screen, without stretching?

I can imagine how to adjust horizontal and vertical scaling during drawing to match a certain resolution, but how do you actually determine a proper resolution? When I tried this once, incompatible modes were sometimes returned and my game crashed...

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#19]
Yeah, now that I think of it, it had no streching. I'm curious now ... This was written in BMax right? It's done with view porting some how I'm sure ...

Mick Farrow(Posted 2010) [#20]
Hello again, sorry, I'm not sure what you mean about the display but, the graphics mode is set to 800,600,0,0 - used viewport to box the game area, it was written with Blitz Plus.

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#21]
yeah, thats what I thought the viewport command! :)

Foppy(Posted 2010) [#22]
Thanks for the answer. I do not completely understand how the viewport command does this, but then again I have never used Blitz Plus! ;)

Edit: Oh it's also a command in Blitz 3D so that is not relevant. I would think that setting 800,600 on a wide screen gives "stretched" pixels.

GIB3D(Posted 2010) [#23]
Every time I look in the BlitzShowcase and see "Donkey Kong Remake" I keep thinking it's a remake of either the Side-Scrollers or Donkey Kong 64 even though I've been in this thread like 10 times.

stanrol(Posted 2010) [#24]
@GIB
why is that?

puki(Posted 2010) [#25]
Looks great.

GIB3D(Posted 2010) [#26]
@stanrol
Because I'm used to playing the sides crolling Donkey Kong games (and I've played Donkey Kong 64). When I see "Donkey Kong", I don't instantly relate it to this game. I'd actually call this Super Mario instead, but either way works.