My3D-Printer

Community Forums/Showcase/My3D-Printer

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi, some of you might have seen it on the news page, there is a little utility called My3D-Printer, see also here: http://www.melog.ch/my3d-printer/

For those who tested the Demo, if there are any problems, esp. MAVs and so on, this would be the place to tell me about it. Please tell me:

-What Problem
-OS, Gfx-Card and DX Version.

Thank you.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2010) [#2]
I think its a fun concept you have there. Does it print the number of the outline in the middle so ordering them is easier when glueing together?

*(Posted 2010) [#3]
hmm its an amazing idea good luck with it :)

Warner(Posted 2010) [#4]
That's cool. A while ago, I have bought a Roland DXY plotter for a few bucks on eBay, and I was able to control it with Blitz3D (via the COM-port). If you combine your program with such a plotter, you could maybe automate the process of cutting out the paper slices.

jhocking(Posted 2010) [#5]
It's a neat idea! Personally I'd be more interested in Pepakura for this purpose because the idea of cutting out all those pages scares me.

*(Posted 2010) [#6]
one slip and its ruined, is there an option to print out a single slice?

jhocking(Posted 2010) [#7]
I wonder if you could hook this up to a laser cutter and get stacks of wood or even metal done?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#8]
Thanks for the responses.

Rob, yes, there is a grid with x y and slice numbers, so it's not only simple not to loose control over the order, it's also easy to position then precisely, with 2 pins.

Yes, you can print a single slice. You can define the number of slices that should be taken, then print them with 1st and last slice parameters. I usually print 3*30 Sheets. Once you got some leatherskin there on the thumb from the scissors it will be easy work. And the resident appearance of such a creation makes it worth to spend some time. Such a Sculpture may be the base for further materials, and finally you can multiply it traditionally.

Please try the demo, and read the help page.

Using Laser cutters and so on is always a bit customer-solution-ish. One Program for one Hardware. It wouldn't be a big deal to simply take the render, use a cnc mill and drill a hole at pixel position xy if it wasn't white and so on. Some time ago there were some code samples released in the archives on how to controll a cnc mill. But if you once are working with a cnc mill, why not cut the object out of a 3D block right away. And this surprisingly takes a lot of time too, unless you have the latest and best cnc mill.
Don't get me wrong, I have 3 Stepper motors somewhere around here, with a controller and I might try to build something like that. But it's always kind of a master plan, compared to simply grab a pair of scissors, some chips and start cutting.

But there is one thing that might become interesting in the future: In the App there is a Grid Detail option, on level 0 the Helpergrid won't be printed at all. Now, there is a sort of paper made of some kind of sugar. When you put a drop of water on it, it's gonna make a hole into the paper, kind of like alien blood.
So when you print the outline on this special paper, the water in the ink will cut the slice out. But the effect must be delayed, to prevent paper jam. Got to try that one day.

Bug Reports still very welcome.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#9]
Wow, this looks very cool. I am going to try the demo now.....

Matty(Posted 2010) [#10]
So how does it handle disconnected parts.

Are there any restrictions on how the model needs to be created?

I'm curious.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2010) [#11]
..this is very nice...I had some idea to use this commercially for good bucks, but it does require some small changes, however, once i have some free time, i may look again..very very nice..I like it..

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#12]
Thanks everybody.
Matty - disconnected Parts may - at the end of the day - not float in the air with zero gravity, even if freefloating things are easy to do in a modelling app. Multiple individual Objects that are all touching the ground are possible, the first layer is then used as the main alignement grid. The disconnected parts are still numbered on the grids x/y axes to allow correct Alignement. Models may be of any type, DX7 compatible 3ds, X or B3D. Textures are not useful. A model with 100% upright surfaces, eg. walls or the sides of a cube, may not work until the model is turned a few degrees.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2010) [#13]
Nice idea !
Must take some times to cut'n'glue everything though!

A while ago, I have bought a Roland DXY plotter for a few bucks on eBay, and I was able to control it with Blitz3D (via the COM-port).

Next time, maybe a lego "printer" ^^