Magicville released

Community Forums/Showcase/Magicville released

GfK(Posted 2010) [#1]
Its taken a while but we finally got there.

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/8155/magicville-art-of-magic/index.html

LineOf7s(Posted 2010) [#2]
Good luck. I'm wishing you success.

degac(Posted 2010) [#3]
Congratulations!

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#4]
Awesome game... I was nailed to it for a fortnight solid while testing and enjoyed every minute! :D

Dabz

Pete Rigz(Posted 2010) [#5]
Nice one GfK! Thumbs up here too, thoroughly enjoyed playing it :)

therevills(Posted 2010) [#6]
Congrats Gfk :D

Can I say its still too hard in places :P

GfK(Posted 2010) [#7]
Can I say its still too hard in places :P
You can! BFG asked for an untimed mode to be added, which I did. So you can take some comfort in the fact that you were right when I ignored you for suggesting the same. :)

puki(Posted 2010) [#8]
The demo won't install without Big Fish getting an email address. That's a bit of a hassle for someone who just wants to try it. Just my opinion on the Big Fish delivery system.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#9]
Well done for Working Hard! :)

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#10]
Looks nice!

"The wooden cog fits nicely onto the spindle" - Dunno why but this sounds somewhat sexual heh (I guess you could say that of any sentence that has "fits nicely")...

Ked(Posted 2010) [#11]
Looks extremely polished! Awesome.

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#12]
Congrats on the release, hope it does well for you!

I added an untimed mode to Unwell Mel and it was much appreciated by players.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#13]
Awesome looking GfK! I hope it does well for you!

I added an untimed mode to Unwell Mel and it was much appreciated by players.

Probably parents with kids interrupting their play :) relaxed mode required :)

Stevie G(Posted 2010) [#14]
Congrats and well done for sticking at it!

BlitzSupport(Posted 2010) [#15]
I only watched the BFG video but it looks very slick indeed. Nice work and good luck with it!

Robert Cummings(Posted 2010) [#16]
awesome dave, nice work.

MGE(Posted 2010) [#17]
I hope it ends up being profitable for you, but at 6.99 per sale, that's going to be tough in today's marketplace, especially with it competing with all the other match 3's. Still....it looks very, very, nice.

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#18]
Probably parents with kids interrupting their play :) relaxed mode required :)
could be but we also know there are lots of elderly players (and disabled players) who can't play, or dislike playing, games with time limits and/or arcade-like sections.

Matthew Smith(Posted 2010) [#19]
Dave,

Well done mate - hope it goes well for you!

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#20]
Nice polished looking game - good luck with it! You've been working on this game quite some time.

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2010) [#21]
Congratulations! Very nice graphics. Good luck with it!

SoggyP(Posted 2010) [#22]
Hello.

Congratulations - you got there in the end :)

Gotta say I'm wondering who the geezer in the false beard is?

Goodbye.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#23]
Gotta say I'm wondering who the geezer in the false beard is?

He's the main game character. He wears a false beard so he fits the wizard stereotype, obviously.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#24]
Congrats on getting this done and out the door.

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#25]
Did you use poser for the models?

GfK(Posted 2010) [#26]
Nope - Daz Studio for the characters and Vue 8 for the scenery stuff. Both render in an agonisingly slow fashion so its handy to have another PC you can use while one is 'busy'.

An a side note - I got around to playing Fairway Solitaire for the first time the other day while doing some research into screen resolutions. So, that's one hour of my life I'll never get back! ;)

Ian Thompson(Posted 2010) [#27]
Goodluck with the launch... and sales! ;)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2010) [#28]
Wishing you all the best.

[Edit]
I like the way the story unfolds and the mini-games are integrated. So I picked-up a copy!

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#29]
while doing some research
That's what they all say ;-)

Amon(Posted 2010) [#30]
Congratz on the release! I remeber when this was just a test match3 engine, which I tried to buy off you but you said no.

Not getting paid till Tuesday so will by then, not for any other reason other than it's a damn fine match 3. :)

GfK(Posted 2010) [#31]
Magicville is #17 in the match three chart today, which is OK. :)

Hasn't made the top 100 of all games (yet?) but its nice to be charted somewhere.

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#32]
ok i gave it a go

- its very polished, good job there
- a middle aged woman might not make the connection between making money and spending it in the spell shop, it wasnt explained, i just worked it out because i have played rpg's before
- the spindle puzzle is kind of hard, maybe a middle aged woman will be discouraged when they play that so early on in the game
- the spells are a good idea and they add a lot to the match 3 genre
- the fact that you need to clear the background tiles to finish a level wasnt explained, i had to figure it out from past experience of match3 games

big10p(Posted 2010) [#33]
Looks top-notch. Congrats.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#34]
the fact that you need to clear the background tiles to finish a level wasnt explained
It was - its the second thing the faerie tells you.

PS: Up to #16 now :D

MGE(Posted 2010) [#35]
Where is it being charted at? I don't see it anywhere on BFG? (not on the top downloads, or the home page?)

GfK(Posted 2010) [#36]
Its not in the overall top 100 - its #16 in the match three section.

[edit] Just noticed its also #27 in arcade/action.

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#37]
Congrats on the charting position. If you go to the top 100 on the front page you can then filter to just match-3s and then see it there. That's the easiest way.

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#38]
Just played it. I can see why it took you so long, it's jam-packed with loads of little special effects, great job.

Rather embarrassingly I failed the cog puzzle the first time (after I figured out how the how "use inventory item" worked - wasn't intuitive, I wanted to drag and drop) because I laid them out in what looked like a working order to me but it didn't do anything. Then I discovered it had let me place a cog on a spindle and the cog overlapped another spindle but I couldn't see that. Perhaps it shouldn't allow that. Plus I had no idea what the "handle" was. The start and end cogs need to be called out more. If I failed this, you can bet a ton of casual players did too and that = lost sales due to frustration. Hope you don't mind me calling this out but you say things straight so I figured you'd want it straight.

Anyhow, it's a game to be proud of well done. Hope it does well for you. Do you plan to sell it direct?

GfK(Posted 2010) [#39]
No plans to sell it direct at the moment - I'm moving house tomorrow and at some point I have to investigate the Mac market (and buy a mac) so I'm going to a) be offline for a bit, and b) be super-busy trying to make sense of a platform that's completely alien to me.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2010) [#40]
Mac is nice when you get used to it.
I know I love my MacBook

Why0Why(Posted 2010) [#41]
I like almost everything about this, graphics, polish, music, etc. I also failed the cog puzzle first time and actually failed one of the early levels. I agree that this might put some casual players off as well. I think you should ramp up the difficulty. Definitely don't want people getting frustrated in the first hour and not purchasing.

*(Posted 2010) [#42]
Gfk if ya want it compiled give us a shout :)

therevills(Posted 2010) [#43]
Up to #14 in the Big Fish Games Match 3 chart :)

Chroma(Posted 2010) [#44]
The color scheme looks very...bland or something like subdued. Can you do the colors more vivid?

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#45]
Say what! I think it looks great!

Anatolie(Posted 2010) [#46]
Looks great! Congratulations!

Yahfree(Posted 2010) [#47]
#10 now.. Up up up! :D Good job GfK

Chroma(Posted 2010) [#48]
Downloading now to try it out. I hope it doesn't look as washed out as it does in the screenshots.

Chroma(Posted 2010) [#49]
Just tried it out. Colors are still washed out and darkish. Faded...

The mouse lag is horrible. The arrow is sluggish and shows the common mouse lag that plagues a lot of blitz games. I need to post my fix...

Other than that...I stopped playing due to lack of anything that grabbed my attention. It reminded me a lot of Holiday Bonus with different graphics. Can you add me to your list of playtesters GfK? Not taking a jab at you...I'm serious. Sorry if I'm coming off as a negative-nancy.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#50]
GfK: Ignore and consider the source ;)

Chroma(Posted 2010) [#51]
Consider what source? It's more like an AA support group around here than honest feedback...

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#52]
It's more like an AA support group
You should consider a 12 step program, it will help you with your problems.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#53]
Colors are still washed out and darkish. Faded...
Its set in the middle ages and deals with dark magic and the forces of evil. Rainbows and fluffy white rabbits - as nice as they are (especially with gravy and onions in the case of the latter), would not sit too well.

From another thread to avoid hijacking....
i just wanted to ask GfK, how much time is roughly necessary to build game like magicville:Art of Magic..this is first Match3 kind of game that i like actually..
Magicville took me two years and five months... a fair chunk of that (maybe 25%) was for artwork.

Chroma(Posted 2010) [#54]
No problems here...just trying to help. In your case GaryV, being agreeable isn't always the most conducive to a successful product. You're coming off like a GfK fanboy. I'm just pointing out that most people like to be able to easily differentiate between things they're trying to match. Look at bejeweled....does it have to be a Bejeweled clone? Of course not, but being to easily differentiate between what you're trying to match adds to gameplay.

Yeah but being set in the middle ages is fine. My current WIP is set in a middles-ages/fantasy setting. No need for rainbows or fluffy rabbits. Just pointing out that the whole color palette is a bit unexciting and bland. Nothing you can do about it now since it's published. I'm surprised none of your play-testers mentioned the lack of differential color. Most items you're matching are glass, whitish, and brass. The lantern and hourglass are VERY similar.

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#55]

I'm surprised none of your play-testers mentioned the lack of differential color

As a tester, why would I mention the lack of differential color when I personally think the colours suit the theme! :)

(dabzTaste != chromasTaste) Or (everyonesTaste != everyoneElses)

;)

Dabz

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#56]
Its funny... Chroma's oppinion vs the fact that its already #10.. hmmm

GfK: Ignore and consider the source ;)
holds true

And coming from a guy with how many games under his belt? Not sure.. http://www.ghostrocketgames.com/index.php?p=1_5_Games is full of broken links.

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#57]
I love it.
If you need any help translating this to Spanish, just tell me.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#58]
Thanks Ziggy I'll bear that in mind although a Mac version is my next priority as soon as I can acquire a Mac. I have had offers for people to compile Mac versions for me but first I doubt it'll run straight off as bits are windows-specific, second - I'd much rather see it running with my own eyes than go "here's a final Mac build which I haven't actually seen working!", and finally, the Mac thing is something I really need to learn for myself.

Just as a footnote - everyone's entitled to their opinion. You can't please everybody but I'm happy to settle for pleasing the majority. :)

bye(Posted 2010) [#59]
I'm going to ask the obvious cheeky question since nobody else will; how's it doing on sales? Be as specific as you're comfortable with.. I'm genuinely interested in how well bigfish translates a decent looking game into cold hard cash.

Bigfish obviously has a lot of targetted traffic, but the flipside is, you're competing against a massive catalogue of similar titles, and casual games seem to be increasingly expensive to make (like those bloody hidden object things must cost a fair bit in artwork).

Also, 2.5 years is a long time for a project, especially for someone who can knock out a game in a few weeks. Do you think (in hindsight) hiring an artist and getting it done quicker will be a better approach for your next project? Income-wise, you're essentially catching up on 2 years without profit before you break even, where as outsourcing the artwork would probably be cheaper in the long-run (yea, no?)

Also, congrats.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#60]
Also, 2.5 years is a long time for a project, especially for someone who can knock out a game in a few weeks.
The games I "knocked out in a few weeks" were, largely, crap (with few exceptions). I could still do that, but I don't want to.

Incidentally, since I wrote all that stuff I've moved house four times and had a huge box full of copies of those games that I'll never ever do anything with. I'm sick of carting it around the country with me so yesterday I did the only decent thing and binned the lot.

OK, maybe a bit "final" but it tells you how little I think of that stuff alongside what I'm doing now.

Do you think (in hindsight) hiring an artist and getting it done quicker will be a better approach for your next project?
It was never a question of approach, it was a question of funds which simply weren't there to be invested. The amount of artwork needed would have made it really expensive (£thousands).

Regarding sales, I can't give details because of contracts and stuff. All I will say is that its doing better than I ever expected and by an order of magnitude. Plus its also just launched (yesterday) on iWin.com as well.

Suffice to say I wish I'd done this years ago instead of buggering about with half-arsed games to make a quick buck.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#61]
In your case GaryV, being agreeable isn't always the most conducive to a successful product. You're coming off like a GfK fanboy.
I am not sure how you take me politely telling GfK to ignore the asshole as being a fanboy, but I do appreciate yet another attempt from you to stir up trouble where it simply doesn't exist.

Congrats to GfK on the success you are having. It is well deserved.

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#62]
OK, please note this historical date down because for once I agree with Chroma (in sentiment if not delivery). The graphics are nice for sure, way better than I could make, but overall there is something "programmer art" about them in my opinion. There are little details/textures/lighting missing as well as colour palette issues already mentioned, and it gives the game a certain bland look (sorry) and makes the game feel a few years old when compared with the most recent match-3 games that have large teams of Russians working on them. That combined with the "tough" cog puzzle and other factors is the reason the game is "only" at no.10 in the match-3s and not even in the top 100 on BFG - I wish it were otherwise. Still, it's very professionally made and a great achievement, one of many more to come I hope (especially after all you've learned from making this one).

Unless someone is specially emailing you sales figures from BFG, you won't know the sales until your first Royalty report at the end of the month. I still get butterflies every time I open up a royalty report :-)

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#63]
I had about half a page written about why I disagreed with you on this point but when I was going back to games I knew were huge successes I discovered that your actually correct. God I hate that!

It appears that graphics with a bright vector-like appearance are the way ahead. The "realistic" look provided by 3d rendering might be getting old-hat which is really annoying to me because I can do 3D. I know there are rendering techniques that give 3D a 2D cartoon-like look so perhaps I can save myself there... anyway..

The one point I will make from my original text is "Sometimes a game introduces game-play elements that are really attractive such that people will overlook sub-standard graphics"... but I have to add "until someone else makes a similar game with sweet graphics"

Q: Are any match-3 games in the top 100? I would suspect the market for match-3 games is getting flooded.

therevills(Posted 2010) [#64]
Q: Are any match-3 games in the top 100?

Match 3 games in the BFG Top 100 (25 May 2010):

15 Trial of the Gods: Ariadne's Journey

32 Hidden Wonders of the Depths 3: Atlantis Adventures

73 Hidden Wonders of the Depths 2

96 Oriental Dreams

Looking at the Match3 chart, Oriental Dreams is at no. 5... so going on that Magicville needs to get to around no. 5 to get in the top 100...

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#65]
therevills: And how long have each of those games been out?

GfK's is a new game and hasn't been out very long. It can take a new game a while to get enough sales to be on lists of top sellers and it can take a while for a game to get word-of-mouth and the exposure required to be on popularity charts.

For as new as GfK's game is, I think he should be very happy with the listing he is getting.

I think the only detriment of GfK's game is the theme. Harry Potter/Magic/Wizard type stuff is highly over-saturated right now whether games, movies, books, etc. and seems on the way out. The new "hype" seems to be around things based on Vampires and the close second which is Werewolves.

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#66]
@Skully ;-p (checkout Fishdom below)

This site is awesome (if a bit slow) check it out:
http://www.casualcharts.com/games/detail/magicvilleartofmagic.html
http://www.casualcharts.com/games/detail/fishdom.html
http://www.casualcharts.com/games/detail/gunslingersolitaire.html

@GaryV: Try using the site above to get launch dates of the games therevills mentioned.

It can take a new game a while to get enough sales to be on lists of top sellers and it can take a while for a game to get word-of-mouth and the exposure required to be on popularity charts.
Unfortunately that's not true; new successful games normally shoot to the top of the chart in under a week. For example a great match-3 game will enter the overall top 100 at position 20 or so, then rise quickly into the top 10 (in a couple of days) and then fight it's way up to position 3 or 4 (it won't get higher due to Hidden Object Games) - this will equate to no.1 on the match-3 page of course. (This is all speaking from experience with my own games and watching competitors of course. I was lucky that Unwell Mel got to no.2 in the top 100 due to extra BFG marketing.)

Hopefully Magicville will climb some more. The important thing to do is get it on more portals. I hear it's going on iWin, cool. Also need to hit up Oberon (who'll get it on loads of sites), Amazon, try Real/GameHouse (they probably won't take it). Those are the biggies, then there's Arcadetown, Alawar (were a waste of time for me), TryMedia (again bad), Shockwave, Playfirst + more.

A Mac version is worth making if you have confidence in recouping the costs of a Mac (not cheap), but Mac sales won't be higher than 10% of PC sales for a match-3 (some games genres and Indie titles sell more Mac copies).

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#67]
Hopefully Magicville will climb some more. The important thing to do is get it on more portals. I hear it's going on iWin, cool. Also need to hit up Oberon (who'll get it on loads of sites), Amazon, try Real/GameHouse (they probably won't take it). Those are the biggies, then there's Arcadetown, Alawar (were a waste of time for me), TryMedia (again bad), Shockwave, Playfirst + more.
You disagree with me, but then go on to apparently agree that exposure and word of mouth are necessary? Not, a dig at you, I am confused by what you mean.

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#68]
I thought you were saying that the reason Magicville wasn't in the BFG top 100 was because it needs more time to accumulate sales. Games sell the most copies in the first 2-3 days on a portal and then begin to decline. The first week is always the best and will push the title into a good starting point in the top 100 or top 10 and then it may rise over the next week or two, then will begin to drop down the charts. I see this pattern over and over again. So I was disagreeing that more time would push Magicville much higher in the charts, it will go up a bit, but not a lot.

I was saying get the game on more portals so that each one can be milked for revenue. I haven't talked about word of mouth because that doesn't make much difference actually in the scheme of things (even the big casual review sites like Gamezebo don't make much difference) - what makes a difference is just that the game will be a new release on a portal and in the public eye for a few days - after that it's exposure drops and so do sales. It's a well known pattern. For Indie games, word of mouth DOES make a difference.

Chroma(Posted 2010) [#69]
Vampires and werewolves fall into the Harry Potter/Magic/Wizard theme don't they? Alrighty then...

I did write this day down on my calendar GA :) And no I don't have any published games yet Skully, but that's irrelevant. You don't have to have published a game to see what I'm talking about. My GRG site was just put up a couple days ago and is a WIP and will be for quite awhile. Still about 4 years until I retire from the military so I've got time to screw about until I have to get serious about game development.

It's easy to tell someone "hey that's great", "good job, it's looks spectacular!"...when what they really wanted was honest feedback. Don't be afraid to tell people what you think. They'll thank you later.

I think I've fallen into the Nilium/Flameduck category as far as being blatantly honest about stuff. While it might come off as being an asshole...that's not my intent and I'll work on 'delivery' in the future.

GfK...have you started on Magicville 2 yet? Or thought about it?

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#70]
Games sell the most copies in the first 2-3 days on a portal and then begin to decline.
That is why it is good to see it do so well on the match 3 list which is the only list which really matters for sales of a match 3 game (the game's target demographic). That is unless you expect thousands and thousands of match 3 game haters suddenly become match 3 lovers overnight and flock to BFG and buy the game which will knock it into the top 100 for combined categories.

I was saying get the game on more portals so that each one can be milked for revenue.
Exactly, more exposure is good.

Vampires and werewolves fall into the Harry Potter/Magic/Wizard theme don't they?
No, not at all. Vampires & Werewolves fall under the supernatural & paranormal, not wizards and magic. Trust me on this one, I am 64 and grew up in a time where every weekend I went to the movies to watch Vampire & Werewolf movies ;) I am glad to see Vampires and Werewolves making a comeback. At WalMart today, there were literally three shelves filled with vampire/wolf novels.

And no I don't have any published games yet Skully, but that's irrelevant.
It is very relevant. It means your opinion has no credibility because you have no experience with what you are trying to discuss.

I think I've fallen into the Nilium/Flameduck category as far as being blatantly honest about stuff.
Flameduck seems permanently banned and Nilium has been banned at least once. Are these the best role models? (No offense to Nilium is intended and I have zero issue with him, or Flameduck for that matter.)

Still about 4 years until I retire from the military
Thank you for your service!

Chroma(Posted 2010) [#71]
Wow....I had a huge response typed out to you GaryV and then saw that you said you were 64. Well I'm 38. Let's act our ages. LOL.

I still think vamps and weres fall into the fantasy genre. There's werewolves and wizards in Harry Potter so I'd say they all fall into Fantasy which is comprised of supernatrual and paranormal (ghosts etc) anyhow. There's no clear definition and it's a moot point anyhow.

I only compare to Nil and Flame in the honesty factor. Some people don't appreciate that and just want to hear "wow that looks/plays awesome!". I'm normally not one to use profanity like them either. That's probably what gets/got them banned etc.

Did I mention it's good to be back? :) I missed you guys!

GfK(Posted 2010) [#72]
Mind if I chip in? Oh yeah, I forgot - its my thread. :D

Jake is pretty much right in what he said - a newly released game has front page visibility so its always going to get up pretty high right there and generate more "noise", if its ever going to. Fairway Solitaire recently re-entered the top 100 because of a 7-day $2.99 promotion on the front page.

How well it resonates (i.e. word of mouth, customer reviews etc) determines whether it floats up there for a while, or drops like a rock.

GfK...have you started on Magicville 2 yet?
Never gonna happen. Magicville nearly didn't happen (several times) so there's no way I'd make it through a sequel whilst retaining some level of sanity. I'll do something new.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#73]
I still think vamps and weres fall into the fantasy genre.
You have D&D to thank for that misconception. That is actually when they were hijacked into the fantasy genre.

Never gonna happen. Magicville nearly didn't happen (several times) so there's no way I'd make it through a sequel whilst retaining some level of sanity. I'll do something new.
This is part of why I was so glad to see you get it done and out there. Chroma may have missed some of it, but there have been a few threads on the game over the years and it wasn't always rosy outlooks from GfK on the game. Going on memory, the graphics have certainly progressed and improved since we first started seeing shots of it.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#74]
Just found out that Magicville is at #11 in iWin's Top 100!

[edit]...and 3rd in the Match Three chart!! Everyone please go buy it - love to get to #1! :P

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#75]
Awesome!

Chroma(Posted 2010) [#76]
??? Still don't know what your basing your assumption on vampires and werewolves from. There's no official guide that states they fall into the supernatural. Where are you getting your info from?

Congrats GfK.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#77]
ya... I mean we all know that Vampires and Werewolves are real and commonly encountered in day to day life :P

Don't be a "Yes Man"...give honest feedback!

And do it Tactfully with consideration for the feelings and work that others have put into things.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#78]
I wish I never started this thread. I couldn't give a stuff about vampires, werewolves, the supernatural or Harry bleedin' Potter.

[edit] Oh, and for all its alleged faults, and regardless of whether werewolves are supernatural or not, its just gone to #1 in iWin's match three chart, and #5 in their Top 100.

so there.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#79]
Nice work GfK!

{edit}
so there.

I need a cloth to clean the coffee from my keyboard

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#80]
#1 in iWin's match three chart, and #5 in their Top 100.
Good for you GfK! Hope Iwin does better for you that it did for me back in the day (their sales were 2% those of BFG).

therevills(Posted 2010) [#81]
Congrats Dave :)

To be honest I never heard of iWin till Gfk said Magicville was released there :/ Is it a big portal?

GfK(Posted 2010) [#82]
Not enormous, no. But its still top of the pile even if said pile is smaller than the BFG one.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#83]
GfK if somebody were to order your game, is there a portal you prefer us to buy from (ie, you get a better percentage)?

MGE(Posted 2010) [#84]
"I was lucky that Unwell Mel got to no.2 in the top 100 due to extra BFG marketing.)"

With all due respect Jake, I'm sure if Gfk was hired by BigFishGames to code the game (like you were for BFG's Fairway, UnWel Mel) his game would have that extra marketing push as well and end up in the top 5 too. ;) Ofcourse BFG is going to push their own games on their site! :)

I have to admit, it's rare to see a true indie title especially in the match 3 category to have any amount of succes, so I'm very impressed by Gfk's efforts and I truly hope it ends up being profitable for him. And as far as the graphics go, he could easily hire an artist at this point to reskin the game to any theme he wanted and he could come out with "kidville, christmasville, holidayville", etc, etc. ;)

Chroma(Posted 2010) [#85]
ya... I mean we all know that Vampires and Werewolves are real and commonly encountered in day to day life :P
Yeah, they're as real as your ability to finish TileMax! Hehe, sorry couldn't resist.

And do it Tactfully with consideration for the feelings and work that others have put into things.
Pot, kettle, black....ok anyways....

Yep I agree MGE, congrats to you GfK...it seems some of us underestimated the longevity of match-3 games.

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#86]
With all due respect Jake, I'm sure if Gfk was hired by BigFishGames to code the game (like you were for BFG's Fairway, UnWel Mel) his game would have that extra marketing push as well and end up in the top 5 too. ;) Ofcourse BFG is going to push their own games on their site! :)
That's why I said I was lucky due to the extra BFG marketing. My only non-BFG game (out of 4) that got into the top 10 at BFG was The Wizard of Oz. It's quite easy to get to no.1 on some of the smaller sites though - still it feels pretty neat.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#87]
It's quite easy to get to no.1 on some of the smaller sites though - still it feels pretty neat.
Shall I give you my address? That way you can come over and just kick me in the face and be done with it.

You seem to be quite vocal when your games do OK yet it really seems to hack you off to the point of belittlement when others are proud of themselves.

GfK if somebody were to order your game, is there a portal you prefer us to buy from (ie, you get a better percentage)?
I'm happy its just on them so it wouldn't really be fair to recommend one over another.

Matty(Posted 2010) [#88]
Don't think I said it before but, congratulations..I find it hard enough to be disciplined in making a simple game so it is good to see a finished quality game, 2 years is a long time to work on something.

Are you going to take a break or move straight into the next project, whatever that may be..

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#89]
@GfK: You just got to no.1 in a chart - I thought you'd think it felt neat. To think that I'm hacked off says more about you than me... I thought I'd provide useful *realistic* information in this thread about chart positions and so forth (the kind of info people would offer over on Indiegamer). Clearly my information is not wanted here (and it's true, you didn't ask for it, so sorry), therefore I'll leave.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#90]
You seem to be quite vocal when your games do OK yet it really seems to hack you off to the point of belittlement when others are proud of themselves.
GA does seem to be the crowned prince of the backhanded compliment. He seems to do this with everybody though, not just you. Some people are just arrogant and negative by nature.

Afterall, everybody pales in comparison to the great Grey Alien. Don't believe me, just ask him. Grey Alien will be more than happy to spend time telling you how great he is ;)

Geehawk(Posted 2010) [#91]
Just a quickie on the graphics.

TO me the perspective of the candle/lantern looks all wrong ...

It seems that you are looking down more on the top but less at the base ????? And the tops of the pointed/arched side panels all seem to be level, but should follow the same curve as the top.

Might just be an optical illusion but it was the first thing that hit me.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#92]
OK, its obvious that Grey Alien's typed words are being taking in a negative light. I recently met him in Vancouver and I can tell you he is genuinely interested in helping other indies have successes in their endeavors. Type-written word can very often be taken out of context and I think thats the case here... is he the know-it-all of game development? obviously not... but he certainly is willing to provide realistic advice based on his experience.

In any case, the lesson I take away is to let people have their feelings of success without critisism... especially after a long development process like 2.5 years!

GfK(Posted 2010) [#93]
Its now up to #7 on BFG's match three chart!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2010) [#94]
Good job, man!

WERDNA(Posted 2010) [#95]
Congrats Gfk!

The game looks truly awesome.
Going to buy it as soon as I make some cash :)
(This is actually one of those 'I'd buy it twice' kind of games!)

therevills(Posted 2010) [#96]
Up, Up and Away :)

(This is actually one of those 'I'd buy it twice' kind of games!)

Maybe the swine flu is affecting you more than you think ;) but why would you? (unless you have multiple PCs or want to give it to someone as a gift)

GfK(Posted 2010) [#97]
Yep, that's slightly insane. However, don't let me stop you. :)