Sepulchre of the Serpent King - 2d iso roguelike

Community Forums/Showcase/Sepulchre of the Serpent King - 2d iso roguelike

Matty(Posted 2010) [#1]
Good Evening,

This week I have put together an isometric (simple) roguelike where you explore a large dungeon, fight monsters, trigger traps, buy equipment, train your skills and try to defeat the Serpent King...an ancient being deep in the depths of the Earth.

Instructions are included within the zip file.

Here are some screenshots:

Here is the zip file: (1.5MB)

http://home.people.net.au/%7Etmalcolm/roguelike/SerpentKing.zip

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#2]
I really like this, I think you did a good job on it.

Matty(Posted 2010) [#3]
Thanks Gary, I didn't want it to be too complicated, otherwise I would never have finished it in the time I gave myself to do it in. Now that it's finished though I can try and actually complete 'playing' the game..it's not the easiest of games to win.

There are some obvious spots where it could be polished - notably the interface, but I was more interested in getting it to play well first.

Jesse(Posted 2010) [#4]
nice Game Matty. although I think it would be a lot better if it was mouse controlled. The keyboard control confuses me somewhat.

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#5]
pretty good, needs a map and some soundfx

i would like to play as a wizard

Xilvan(Posted 2010) [#6]
It is some very good models and graphics.

I like the style of the models and the classic 16-32 bits style of the graphics.

Good luck !

Yahfree(Posted 2010) [#7]
I like it, however two suggestions:

1.) A personal preference: I like smooth walking over the choppy tile-by-tile movement. Was this your original intention?
2.) In skinny 1-tile tunnels (like the beginning) it's hard to see your character, maybe hide the walls in the way of the camera?

Matty(Posted 2010) [#8]
Hi all,
Regarding keyboard control - I prefer the keyboard controls my self, personally..but then I made it so I guess I have to say that..

Hiding or making the walls transparent in the way of the camera is a good idea.

It was my original intention to have choppy tile by tile movement :-).

In future games I think I will broaden the scope a little..more character types, a map...not so sure about sound fx...

thanks,
Matt

Matty(Posted 2010) [#9]
Updated program (download link at top of page)
Coloured text to make the interface easier to read.
Mouse input for most things.
More rooms, more monsters (ie there are more monsters in the rooms, not more monster types).
Slightly optimised to make less sluggish when lots of text is displayed.

from Matt