Valkyrie Strike

Community Forums/Showcase/Valkyrie Strike

crazydba(Posted 2010) [#1]

Well, this is another "space" shooter in 3d . It is a pale copy of similar games like "Blazing angels" or "jetFigther 2015" , "Rogue Squadron".
coded in Blitz3D + FastExt libraries.
It is my second attempt to mess with blitz3D.
Mainly developed for my nephew's next birthday as a surprise.

You take control of different ships from the Valkyrie squadron (light fighter , heavy fighter, bomber , etc ...)

it features :
Arcade, and campaign missions
full mission editor
complete universe
30 + terrains and space quadrants (space station , asteroids fields, planets , etc )
Mouse , keyboard, and joystick controls
missiles and range of weapons

project is now over, and stable release 1.0 is available

It is released for free, (but I keep all the intellectual property and rights as it is not open source)

If you wish to test, you can download a the game here :
Valkyrie strike v1.0 (English)

Valkyrie strike v1.0 (French)

for the official web site Web site

For more details check the youtube thread :
Here!

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#2]
when I press A to speed the ship and the screen goes black!

My Spec are

2GHZ
Geforce 9600m GT
3GB Ram

It look cool game you got there :)

crazydba(Posted 2010) [#3]
@HotShot2005 , weird , never had such an issue
Are you running the game in full screen ? try in window mode
your spec looks good
is your os 32 bits or 64 ?

Doggie(Posted 2010) [#4]
I like it except I had a devil of a time trying to get a decent chase view. Seems like the nose wants to point down constantly. I like a view that is like sitting slightly above and just behind the cockpit canopy with the plane more or less level so I can nose up and down left and right easily.
Only tried the training missioin but I'll spend some more time with it later.
Looks good.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#5]

@HotShot2005 , weird , never had such an issue
Are you running the game in full screen ? try in window mode
your spec looks good
is your os 32 bits or 64 ?

I have try full screen and window mode. It is the same problem that when I press A to move the spaceship and it come in Black screen!

It is 32 bits and it running Window 7 Ultimate.

I have no idea what is causing it...

crazydba(Posted 2010) [#6]
All right , after investigation it has to do with win 7+ blitz3d + Nvidia Gforce , your hardware is not in cause. Sprites are no longer supported with the drivers ....
I have issued a patch / fix , the link remains the same. Fix patch version is 0.63
It is compiled with the latest Blitz3d ver. I have.
The link and file name remain the same so you can reload it as you so fit.
Issue on Win7 should be fixed now on for Gforce users

crazydba(Posted 2010) [#7]
New demo version 0.7 is available with much improvements

puki(Posted 2010) [#8]
3D is exciting - especially when it has Blitz in front of it.

Looks like it is shaping up nicely.

crazydba(Posted 2010) [#9]
Well it is taking shape slowly.
Much improvements for the next release 0.8, should be available soon.
new visual candy objects, like cargo ship. Basic waypoints and path are supported.
In game Video/Movies is also included
A complete player control rework provides greater gameplay.
space environment is now available

wmaass(Posted 2010) [#10]
Cool, reminds me of the 90s Battlezone remake.

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#11]
Keep up the good work.

crazydba(Posted 2010) [#12]
New Version and Demo 0.8
See the 1st Post for the download link
Much improvements, enjoy

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#13]
Sorry to be alarmist, your application looks great however this may just be a 'false positive....?' [EDIT]

crazydba(Posted 2010) [#14]
That's a false alarm fore sure. Might be due the compression by UPX.
There is no network socket open by the exe anyway, and no network functions.
You are athe first to report such issue by the way

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#15]
Edited my post, suspected it might've been a false positive. Fantastic looking game by the way.

crazydba(Posted 2010) [#16]
Thanks, since it is a one man project , I consider the global quality average.
I have juste posted a new version 0.802 with greatly improved mouse controls. The download link remains the same.

Abazek(Posted 2010) [#17]
Just downloaded 0.803. Your game looks great so far. Amazingly smooth frame rates at 1900x1200 even on my now (quite) outdated rig (Athlon XP 3000+, 2 Gigs DDR400, GeForce 6600GT, WinXPsp3).

Might be cool to add an "auto-leveling" feature. If it was turned on, it would center (level) the aircraft after you release the bank/roll keys. (or, maybe have a "auto-level" key which would do this when you press it).

Also, any chance you'd release the source code at some point? I'm just learning Blitz3D, and find it very helpful to look at other people's source code to see how they did certain things.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited 2010

crazydba(Posted 2010) [#18]
Thanks for the feedback
Well, version 0.81 (exact same link and archive) features a major bug fix for Nvidia graphic cards + some minor adjustements, it is strongly advised to doawload this version.

Lord_Shalimar, you are full of confidence :
Also, any chance you'd release the source code at some point? I'm just learning Blitz3D, and find it very helpful to look at other people's source code to see how they did certain things.

Sure, I am surely going to release for free more than 40 000 lines of code (that constitue an average of 1500 hours of labor). This game is NOT open source, as the licence crearly states.
More seriousely, I intent to release some libaries when the game is over, but no more than this. I am sure there is enough Blitz3d code already posted to help newcomers.

crazydba(Posted 2010) [#19]
New demo version available version 0.821 , see 1st topic for download link and screenshots
Should look more polished and provide a greater gameplay

Ferret(Posted 2010) [#20]
Ive seen this on the gallery and just watched one of the movies.
Verry good job!

I linked to it from mi website.

Last edited 2010

crazydba(Posted 2011) [#21]
New demo available version 0.83 with some interesting improvements
see 1st topiic for the download link

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2011) [#22]
I missed this project completely (those enduring AFK phases). Looks amazing. Are the screenies (got some more?) from 0.83 already?

crazydba(Posted 2011) [#23]
Are the screenies (got some more?) from 0.83 already?

yes indeed , for action and video I sugest to take look at the youtube thread or directly download the demo

crazydba(Posted 2011) [#24]
Valkyrie strike 1.0 is now available for download , enjoy see up thread for more info

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2011) [#25]
Impressive work. any reason you are releasing it for free instead of submitting to Intel's AppUp store?

therevills(Posted 2011) [#26]
Just had a quick play - looks great!

I couldnt complete the first tutorial though, it tells me to go to waypoint one which I do, but it doesnt continue.

crazydba(Posted 2011) [#27]
I couldnt complete the first tutorial though, it tells me to go to waypoint one which I do, but it doesnt continue.

Impressive work. any reason you are releasing it for free instead of submitting to Intel's AppUp store?

Hum , tutorial mission was tested, may be you are required to go to waypoint 0 instead of 1 . to get your objectives check with [F8]. try some arcade mission instead if you are not happy with the mission. Did a quick fix on waypoints, I advise to reload the game should be ok by now. (version should read 1.01)

thks, This game was always suppose to be free of charge. It is a proof of concept a one man job can produce decent games. I do not want to entrap myself with support. Furthermore , the graphics are too poor to my taste to worth anything, my modelling and texturing abilities are too limited. Though I May change my mind one day, and sell a more furnished version ... If the demand is enough , which I sincerely doubt

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

Matty(Posted 2011) [#28]
Interesting contradiction.. proof one man produce decent games then go on to say graphics are too poor???

crazydba(Posted 2011) [#29]
No not really, decent meant a viable game play and features, a fully functional game, and not a half finished project like I too often see around. This game is relatively stable, accommodate to light hardware resources (by today standard), and work flow integrates nicely. The game engine and framework was my main focus.
But I do not think you can expect to produce something graphically satisfactory all alone, because of the time and skills it requires. Unless you are already a skilled graphic artist.
Overall the 3d visuals are way under the level it should have been but that's only my perception.
That's why I do not think It worth any money (for the time being).

Last edited 2011

TeaBoy(Posted 2011) [#30]
I think your game looks decent, runs nice and smooth on my system.

It's very true that trying to do everything yourself may not produce a truely exceptional title due to the man hours required, but you have certainly done yourself justice and should be proud of what you have achieved as it could potentially lead to other opportunities.

Keep up the good work!

Dan(Posted 2011) [#31]
Hello Crazydba, i could not start your game, im getting the error: user lib not found.

Looks like the compiled blitz3d program is searching for the libraries from
the windows path environment or from blitzpaht setting.

(had to set them up to compile blitz programs with CrimsonEditor)

Last edited 2011

crazydba(Posted 2011) [#32]
@Dan
it's unfortunate. It is definitely an issue with YOUR configuration settings or the way you have configured Blitz3d or Windows.
I have tested the release on multiple PCs and windows config. Some with Blitz3d already installed, some with no dev blitz environments , and regular from scratch system. Never ever encountered any issue.
It is too bad you can not run the game though ....

Dan(Posted 2011) [#33]
I managed to run it now,by reseting the blitzpath and path variables, described here : http://www.bettiesart.com/tc/ultrablitz/ (under "Setting Up Ultra-Blitz" "1.")

I just saw the Options of the controlls arent translated in english language.

Great game btw.

Last edited 2011