My new SpriteLib Engine

Community Forums/Showcase/My new SpriteLib Engine

Xilvan(Posted 2010) [#1]
I'm presently working on a Sprite lib, this lib can deliver stunning effects and even run a way better Candy World Adventure II : The Lillians festival. Some adjustment need to be added... such like the screen resolution who can only be 640X480.

-EDIT-
The resolution problem is finally fixed.., The resolution can now be through 640X480, 800X600 and 1024X768... People will enjoy the new resolution offered for the new engine.

Candy World Adventure has now fully remasterised png sprites, as well as static than animated ones. The 1.50th version of the games runs smooth with 640X480 version, but it lags in more detailed resolution...

Altmost 8192 sprites are rendered by scenes, most of them are hidden... It runs at more than 50 fps at this resolution.

Theres now fully possibilities of transparencies, blending and animations.

Heres some images, it talks by itselfs:

As you can see on the screenshots, theres mesh font. A maximum of tree arrays of 1024 characters can be shown at the same time.

-The first one is for normal text, in bubble.
-The second one is for the menus and screen items.
-The third one is for the area selection.

Therefore, many of usual suggestions has been applied in my new 1.50th version of the game and I hope you'll enjoy !

-Version IV - now showing more possible resolution-

-Sprite Lib Download-

Lastly, I've added the 1.72th version of my game Candy World Adventure II... Now Butterflies flap fluidly and everything in the game has been converted. Most of the bugs are removed. It seems I should need more speed adjustments. The game looks more pleasant to play and I like the way I made it in just 3-4 days...

-Download Latest Version Here-

I'm waiting for your comments and I think is a must try...

N(Posted 2010) [#2]
I cannot fathom why you have X, Y, Z, etc. all in arrays... were you drunk when you wrote this? I'll understand if you were.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2010) [#3]
..types are your friend, Xylvan..

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#4]
Xylvan: You might want to search the forums for tutorials on types. They are very useful and besides helping your code be less cluttered, it can also make it easier to maintain and expand your code in the future. Just a suggestion, not an insult.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#5]
Xylvan, Yikes... take the above advice for sure.

AvestheFox(Posted 2010) [#6]
as suggested above, types are awesome!

still, nice effort :)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2010) [#7]
Function RotateEntity_(theSprite_,ax#,ay#,az#)
RotateEntity Sprite_(theSprite_),ax#,ay#,az#
End Function

Am I missing something? What's the point of having this function exactly? Why not just call the RotateEntity function in your code rather than having to make an extra call. Madness. Why not extend this idea and have...

ActuallyDoTheRotateEntity Sprite_(theSprite_),ax#,ay#,az#
End Function

Function ActuallyDoTheRotateEntity(theSprite_,ax#,ay#,az#)
End Function

Xilvan(Posted 2010) [#8]
End Function

it actually works great with the sprite index, not the sprite itselfs...

Please everyones, look up at the code box, I altmost finished the engine and I'm up to publish it soon...

I've added some final result of my new game... I hope you'll enjoy !

N(Posted 2010) [#9]
I looked at the codebox. It contains bad code. You've neglected to use types and instead went with arrays for no really good reason (you could just as easily pass a type to the functions and it would be a better result, and probably faster since no lookup is needed). Most of the code is just a wrapper around existing functions and does nothing really important in the first place.

Xilvan(Posted 2010) [#10]
I'll try to use types...

I will use:
Sprite_(Max_Spr_)
as an index for the type

then I'll use:
Type Spr_
Field x#,y#,a#, etc...
end Type

N(Posted 2010) [#11]
I think you may have missed the point if you're still planning on using arrays for no reason.

Xilvan(Posted 2010) [#12]
The reason that I dont use arrays yet is because its very hard to program... I intend to make it possible to use it in future version, but I'm still waiting for.

Maybe in one week I'll be able to convert the whole game to that kind of coding.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#13]

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#14]
Maybe in one week I'll be able to convert the whole game to that kind of coding.

Oh, so that's another 3 years of development until "release".

Xilvan(Posted 2010) [#15]
I will have to continue Candy World III : Heart of Heaven this week.

I've pretty liked to work on Candy World Adventure II... I would be back in few day on this new game... I have to post a new gallery for Candy World Adventure II. I hope people will see it and download the game the sooner as possible. I've added again a reprogrammed version of my Level Editor for this game. People will be able to mod the game with ease in the near future.

I need to make my new sprite lib compliant with 3D scenes because my 2D sprite lib only work with a fixed camera. The camera of my 3D sprite lib test on Candy World III (3D) some days ago were successfull. But I need to enhance the speed and accuracy of it.

Candy World III is in 3D and it gives the occasion to test what would happen with a flexible 2D-3D sprite lib ? I think I will use it for all my games and give feed back on the forums or blitz's blog.

I'm aiming on it and I hope it will be good for the communauty...

Dark Soul(Posted 2010) [#16]
Tried out your game, looks pretty good, love the graphics though you should give an option to shut off the snow ball looking floaties. The game style kind of reminds me of Smurfs on the ol' ColecoVision.

And its ok to use arrays if it gets the job done. Don't let these "type" types(guys) tell you any different.
Blitz would not have arrays if they were not meant to be used! Simple is always better and if arrays work for you then go for it.

Would not hurt to learn about types when you get the chance though, after all programming always involves learning as you go, it's part of the ongoing process.

The important thing is finishing what you start.
(looks at some of the other programmers here that just hang on the forums).

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#17]
It's called a hobby :) I truely wish i could get round to finishing something though...

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#18]
If you don't have the motivation, you never will.

Me, for instance. Every project I started "out of the blue" from some inspiration didn't get more than very few art assets and some lines of code done.

However, when they were projects for competitions that involved prizes with real value (not just a pat on the back), I got the motivation to make some things more complete. Unfortunately, for me, that's the only kind of motivation that can drive something out of me much stronger than just hobbyism. I depend on competitions to be project-finishing productive.

I'm curious about the motivation that drives Xylvan.

John Cage(Posted 2010) [#19]
>runs smooth with 640X480 version

Why only 640x480 resolution? Are ya' gonna make some stuff for a higher res too?

Xilvan(Posted 2010) [#20]
Since today at 7:00 AM Est, both resolution 800X600 and 1024X768 has been unlocked... It seems that too many sprite were showing becayse they was rendered at the middle, so -512,-512 in pixel... Now it only shows the visible sprites, and, all the sprites of my game are moved at -2048,-2048 in pixel...

I worked very hard to get it working properly... but it need some fixing...

See code in the start of the topic.

Xilvan(Posted 2010) [#21]
I waked up and wrote down the very first SpriteLib sample:

-Sprite Lib Download-

left arrow -> Move left
Right arrow -> Move Right

More functions soon !

it took me 30 minutes to write it. Its in development since Monday 3th May 2010. By the way the game is at its 1.72th version and it goes well. I hope to finalise it in the next few weeks.

Click on image to see the pic !

Remember it is a sample and mostly the game are entirely converted and allows way better graphics and animations than the previous version of Candy World Adventure II.

See the whole game all converted here:

Version 0.82 is out on Download.com, please try it...